DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last question for a while, promise.

My local shop is swearing by the pac amp pro stuff.
He swears its fantastic, which I dont doubt but if it's not by passing my head units internal amp (i have no out board stock amps, how can it be any better than feeding the stock signal to the helix?

I dont think he understood what I was asking or maybe I'm confused. I don't want to have my head units internal amp in the chain. What's the point if that same internal amp is just feeding another pre (amp pro) before hitting the helix.

I have plenty of signal. What am I missing?

From what I've been told here, no product can get a signal from anywhere other than the speaker level outputs of this radio.

Its sync 3, non sony in a 2016 ford f150.

He swears it will give me a home hi fi quality pre amp output but doesnt the helix already do that?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think it grabs the signal before the stock amp, but the stock amp needs to be in the chain because all the can-bus stuff will complain if it's unhooked.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
i dont think this piece works if its non-sony

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont think this piece works if its non-sony
I believe you are correct. I think it's designed to grab the signal from the radio in systems with seprate stock amps .

He was trying to sell me on it and this is a man that has never steered me wrong in 25 years.
I dont think he understood what I am wanting.
I believe him when he says it's good and it kinda make me wish I had gotten the sony system but I didnt.

He was showing me the new linkswell stuff. That massive screen looks awesome and he said the pac would work with that. Is love that big ass screen but those all in one aftermarket units scare me.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Buying the PAC would be worth it to me if it meant not having to cut factory wires but since you've already done that I wouldn't bother IF it would work with your radio. Just keep in mind you're polishing a turd getting signal from factory speaker outs. This is where bypassing the factory radio altogether with a separate DAP or getting a higher quality unit that can replace the factory radio while still keeping everything that's tied into it would be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The PAC Amppro models bypass the factory sound amplification and take the digital (MOST50 or whatever) signal and create a clean, untampered signal from it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The PAC Amppro models bypass the factory sound amplification and take the digital (MOST50 or whatever) signal and create a clean, untampered signal from it.
Even if there's no factory amp?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Correct, it intercepts the data signal and outputs a clean signal.
See this is where I get confused on how it works. It intercepts the signal normally sent to the sony amp in the f150. But the signal that is sent there is coming out of the factory HU's Left and right channels...the same ones that normally feed the speakers if you do not have the Sony Amp. The only difference is an AsBuilt code change to the control module (ACM).

In other words, does the AsBuilt code change bypass the internal amp if it is coming out of the same pin outs on the ACM? Or does it just change how much voltage the amp sends out? Either way the signal is actually a fairly clean signal all the way to max. No bass roll off or any other eq mods if you do the forscan change to flat eq. I know my low level forscan code change has a perfect sine wave all the way to max too. I don't know if you do high level if that is the case. It is definitely just as good as quite a few aftermarket HU's

The following says Fusion, but all ford's from 2013 on share the same ACM as far as I know. You can see the pinouts are the same no matter the sony or non sony, except less pins used on the Sony version as it only sends left and right.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Crutchfield doesn't say it works with non Sony. They are usually pretty reliable with that kinda info. Unless I entered the wrong vehicle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In other words, does the AsBuilt code change bypass the internal amp if it is coming out of the same pin outs on the ACM? Or does it just change how much voltage the amp sends out?
As far as i understood the situation (i have a 2016 Ford Mustang btw, so same ACM) the AsBuilt changes the amp section of the ACM (in case of base model) from amplified to preamp.
In case of the SONY system the volume is controled via CAN bus, so the preamp output is a fixed line level output.
The Pac AmpPro uses both the fixed line level output and the CAN bus to create a variable line output.

You can absolutely do that with ForScan and changes to the AsBuilt code for the ACM. But you have to make sure that you completely bypass the SONY amplifier in the case you switch both front and rear output to variable line level (the ACM puts out both front and rear when set correctly via ForScan), but leave it connected to the CAN bus to prevent error messages from the missing amp. You can do that with a simple T-harness made from a CARAV 12-240.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts