DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I would just like to say thanks to everyone on here. The amount i've learned just over the past few days has led me to believe this is by far the best kept secret of the internet.

On to the point:

I'm attempting to create a well-balanced active system for my 2000 Audi S4. Those of you who have ever seen the car know that it has less than ideal OEM mounting points, which unfortunately I am forced to use.

Set up is essentially 60° off axis 1" in upper doors, 60° off axis 4" in lower doors, Proprietary 6.25"ish shallow mount in the lower rear doors, and two upward firing 6.5" in the rear deck.

From the information I've gathered (please correct me if I'm wrong) I believe the best setup for my price range would be:
8" or 10" Sub (Trunk) + 6.5" Woofers (rear deck) + 4" Mid (front door) + ~1 Tweet/Supertweet (front door)

Again I am pretty new at this so any advice/constructive criticism/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Considering running a Pioneer Avic-x910BT as a HU, as it covers my needs for nav/traffic/sat radio/iphone compatibility (obviously not included in $1500 sound budget =P)

As for the monetary breakdown, I was thinking something like:
$100 tweeter amp + 2x$50 Tweeter + $400 4channel amp + 2x$50 Midrange + 2x$50 woofer + $200 Sub + $300 Sub amp + $200 Active X-over = $1500

I guess I am wondering if this would be enough for decent quality components in each location and an overall balanced sound.

As for X-over points, I am somewhat confused. Would it make more sense to run a 2 way with sub crossing over at 300/3000 hz (with the woofers and midrange driving the same 300-3000hz range), or run a 3 way + sub crossing over something more like 100/400/4000 hz. Also what order filters would be ideal for these ranges (or does that depend on drivers?)

Again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Will you be doing the installation yourself or having a shop do it? Are you open to modification to install better better drivers in better locations?

As far as the crossover things go, dont even worry yourself about them yet until you nail down everything else. They will be completely determined by the drivers used, their location and mounting angle, your listening preferences and the acoustics of your vehicle. A $1500 budget can yield a VERY good 2 way or 3 way active setup for your vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links. To answer some questions, I would prefer to keep the stock speaker mounting points, as iffy as they are. I'm attempting to do the install myself (have installed a few passives in the past), however I'm not opposed to handing it over to a professional if I get in a bit over my head.

Currently I am considering running the sub out on the HU to the sub amp, and then the main HU outs to the electronic crossover and then dividing for the woofers/mids/tweets. Is this recommended or even possible?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.