DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice on sub selection.

I am currently running a single IDQ15 off of 350 watts and love the way it sounds but I would like a bit more output down low.

I am considering either getting another IDQ15 or a JBL W12GTI mk.II.

Either way they will be run off of a JL HD750/1 sealed in the back of my Scion tC.

Which would you pick and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I would go with the 2 IDQ 15's. Alot more cone area, but less Xmax than the JBL. The 2 Q 15's won't have to work as hard to get the output you want.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I agree that a second IDQ15 is the way to go if more output is what you are after. However, if I were looking to run a single sub.....I would forget the JBL W12GTi MKll and run the big brother, the W15GTi MKll. What's cool about that is the driver only needs a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure and the HD750/1 will dump the full 750 watts into the 3 Ohm load of W15GTi. I think for such a small hatch that the single JBL would be clean as hell, go down very low, and get damn loud. If you have never heard one....see if you can before you make your choice. I would run a single JBL if it were me...also, other past IDQ owners have said how much better they like their WGTi's.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I agree that a second IDQ15 is the way to go if more output is what you are after. However, if I were looking to run a single sub.....I would forget the JBL W12GTi MKll and run the big brother, the W15GTi MKll. What's cool about that is the driver only needs a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure and the HD750/1 will dump the full 750 watts into the 3 Ohm load of W15GTi. I think for such a small hatch that the single JBL would be clean as hell, go down very low, and get damn loud. If you have never heard one....see if you can before you make your choice. I would run a single JBL if it were me...also, other past IDQ owners have said how much better they like their WGTi's.
I agree with the single 15WGTI, especially since there's not alot of room in the back of a tc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
1.5 cu ft for a jbl gti 15 ? Don't expect a very good sound with this kind of enclosure ! Try a bigger one, or you will be very disappointed.
You'd better look around here to have the good informations on this super sub!

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
If your IDQ 15 is the D4 version, I would choose the 2 x IDQ 15 setup any day.
More control over the woofer with the 4ohm load.

Other than that, the 2 subs will have to work less to get the output you want = meaning less distorsion.

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

PS: Seems like you have the space, why not try to build a really low tuned ported box? This will be a cheaper alternative and I know that the IDQv.2 EXCELS in ported alignment...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
1.5 cu ft for a jbl gti 15 ? Don't expect a very good sound with this kind of enclosure ! Try a bigger one, or you will be very disappointed.
You'd better look around here to have the good informations on this super sub!
That's according to JBL's website & some people on here that have used that size enclosure. Did you not have good results with that size?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I am leaning towards the pair of IDQs since I already have one and can get another for cheap.

Also, I have talked to a few people, including Andy from Harmon/JBL, and they all seem to say that 1.5 cuft is well suited for the MkII. The original one needed quite a bit more air space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts