DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to add RCA outputs to my stock Bose Stereo which has a low-level output wires going to the stock Bose amp. I have already made a wire harness that plugs into the existing harness to add RCA outs, which worked, but the aftermarket harnesses don't have enough wires to accommodate some other functions. I'd like to add Panel-Mounts directly to the Head Unit, soldering directly to the board, but I'm not sure if panel-mounts are OK to use with the Metal chassis that the stock head unit has.

Anyone know if putting a panel mount on a metal panel is OK... or would it need to be insulated by plastic, etc.?

These are the panel mounts I was thinking of getting:
Neutrik USA Inc Neutrik Gold Plated RCA/Phone Socket RCA Connectors at Markertek.com

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
It appears that those plugs isolate from the chassis so i don't see a problem with it at all. Have you had the unit apart to see if there is enough clearance on the other side?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears that those plugs isolate from the chassis so i don't see a problem with it at all. Have you had the unit apart to see if there is enough clearance on the other side?
Yes sir... It's an in dash 6-disc changer, it has surprisingly a lot of room (and I'm taking into account the mechanism that changes the CDs).

I thought that it might be insulated as well, but from other pictures I have seen, that panel mount doesn't look like the negative is isolated. The red plastic pieces are for aesthetics mostly, it would seem:
https://muzyczny.pl/towary/22730.jpg
http://www.audiophonics.fr/images/sommer_embase_rca_nys367.jpg

I've also thought about soldering to the board, and getting a rubber grommet, threading the wires (4 of them) out of the back of the unit and giving myself 4-5" of clearance. This would look similar to the way most aftermarket units look/operate. In that case, I would use Gepco 61801EZ wire and some Neutrik NYS-372P-BG Connectors. Would this be a better option?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.