DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got another 2008 f250 king cab, have a set illusion audio 1” tweeters and crossover left from a C8 install, JL audio 600/4, would the audio frog GS 690 work as the mid base with the illusion crossover as a simple passive 2 way system

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes bridging the other channels to a 12” sub, i used the C8’s in another install with C3CX. So I need mid bass, have GB12D2, JL 600/4, illusion tweeters & crossover from the C8 lying around, thinking the GS 690 would a good fit, or should I look at 6-1/2” drivers?

· Registered
2,423 Posts
The truck does list 6x8.
5x7 is the actual size. All four doors.
You will never and I mean never get a 6x9 or anything bigger than a round 5.25 or a jl. Audio c5 or c3 6x8.
Without cutting the metal. It's nothing to cut up really. You're a a 4.5 inches away from the window motor mounts.
You can do it with little to no consequences but literally no one ever wants to. Which is where jl come in.
There is not a better 6x8 than the c5. The c3 has a little better midrange but the c5 is does everything very nicely.
Every other 6x8 is coax quality at best.

· Registered
333 Posts
You might still be able to find some 6x8 C5s if you go through every online JL dealer. All there are left are odd sizes and coaxials. If you want to go that route you’d better jump on it now, C5s are almost as hard to find from dealers as live dinosaurs. I don’t think there are any of that size on eBay but worth a look. Id try to find some C5s before C3s given the recent price hike, they’re a bit more if you can find them but not as much more as they used to be. C5s were discontinued not too long ago. I tried to find non-coaxial 6.5s but no registered dealer still has them.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
You might still be able to find some 6x8 C5s if you go through every online JL dealer. All there are left are odd sizes and coaxials. If you want to go that route you’d better jump on it now, C5s are almost as hard to find from dealers as live dinosaurs. I don’t think there are any of that size on eBay but worth a look. Id try to find some C5s before C3s given the recent price hike, they’re a bit more if you can find them but not as much more as they used to be. C5s were discontinued not too long ago. I tried to find non-coaxial 6.5s but no registered dealer still has them.
Or wait a couple weeks....months for the c5 replacement.
I have heard it's a watered version of the c7 active kit.

· Registered
333 Posts
Anyone heard anything about a replacement? i got the impression there wouldn’t be one, based upon the fact that now C3s cost almost as much as C5 components did a few months ago (not too far off anyway). I don’t know about C5s being watered down C7s, wouldn’t be surprised if they were. But given that JL outsourced the design/production of C5 cones/suspension,… but I have to admit the C7s are so far out of my price range I’ve not researched them much.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Anyone heard anything about a replacement? i got the impression there wouldn’t be one, based upon the fact that now C3s cost almost as much as C5 components did a few months ago (not too far off anyway). I don’t know about C5s being watered down C7s, wouldn’t be surprised if they were. But given that JL outsourced the design/production of C5 cones/suspension,… but I have to admit the C7s are so far out of my price range I’ve not researched them much.
A local rep told me he has seen pictures of them.
I have not seen anything and the only guy that has said that is him. He has been a rep since 2001 though.
But I figured everything you said as well. The price increase on the c3s is insane. They traded Kurt Mueller designed cones for a flimsy guy with a phase plug.

· Registered
333 Posts
A local rep told me he has seen pictures of them.
I have not seen anything and the only guy that has said that is him. He has been a rep since 2001 though.
But I figured everything you said as well. The price increase on the c3s is insane. They traded Kurt Mueller designed cones for a flimsy guy with a phase plug.
he sounds like a reputable source, thanks for passing that along. I found some new C5s on eBay a couple weeks ago so not in the market but I’ll still be interesting to see what they are replaced with. I’ve got nothing against the C3s but I do have something against the fact that they’re selling for not much less than a component set of C5s a few months ago.

sorry for derailed this thread

· Registered
2,423 Posts
he sounds like a reputable source, thanks for passing that along. I found some new C5s on eBay a couple weeks ago so not in the market but I’ll still be interesting to see what they are replaced with. I’ve got nothing against the C3s but I do have something against the fact that they’re selling for not much less than a component set of C5s a few months ago.

sorry for derailed this thread
I know right....they lost their heads on the c3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.