DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
is it okay to connect only the tweeter to one passive crossover, and then hook up the woofer to another passive crossover?
(meaning: 2 pairs of passive crossovers will be use)

i'm talking about 2-way passive crossovers, that are not bi-ampable!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
depending on the crossover circuit, NOT seperating the unused section COULD result in your amp trying to drive a dead short. so yes, I would modify the crossover.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Recently had a discussion about this with a few friends.

I think the conclusion was it depends on the crossover itself.

I've blown up crossovers doing that, and there are others that have ran crossovers all day long like you're suggesting.

In other words, it's a crap shoot.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
It isn't a crapshoot. If there are any shunt components (connected in parallel with the speaker that won't be used), they should be eliminated. Without the load of the speaker, their DCR becomes the load. depending on that DCR, they may burn up (often the case with coils) or look to the amp like a short at some frequency, which may cause it to go into protection.

·
Registered
421 Posts
DCR? Andy? Dead capacitive reactance?

Ahh, never mind: DC resistance. Gotcha; it's been a while for me.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It isn't a crapshoot. If there are any shunt components (connected in parallel with the speaker that won't be used), they should be eliminated. Without the load of the speaker, their DCR becomes the load. depending on that DCR, they may burn up (often the case with coils) or look to the amp like a short at some frequency, which may cause it to go into protection.
The conclusion I came to was that the particular crossover I was dealing with had an electrolytic in parallel with the speaker. The lytic cap just couldn't handle it. For people that don't necessarily know what they're looking at, and just trying to do what the OP is suggesting, it's a crapshoot.

However, I've never seen a coil go. I understand about the load, but in the case of a 12 db high pass circuit, the cap is going to limit the low end frequencies being passed through the coil. Heat shouldn't be much of an issue at that point.

Granted, I would never suggest running an unknown passive the way the OP is suggesting unless you designed it specifically to do so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts