DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e got 3 Way JBL Stadium components up front and coaxials in the rear doors. I feel like my stereo is great, but now I crave more low end.

I wanted to to use a JBL Stadium 1024 10" Sub paired with a 12" PR in a custom fiberglass box and make a 2nd ome for the left and right side of the trunk. I have some Earthquake SLAPS-M12 on hand, but would like to use PSI PRs for my build.

The first diagram I attached is not to scale in anyway. I just wanted to give a top view visual for how I was planning to aim the drivers/PRs and find out if I would get any kind of cancelation from aiming them this way.

Also, JBL recommends a 1.5 Cubic feet box for a ported enclosure, so that's what I was aiming for being that PR setups behave like regular ported ones.

Also please excuse my messy trunk lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Since I do not see a question, I'll assume it is open mic time.
Questions ans statements

Q1) What frequency are planning on tuning to?

Q2) why use one particular passive over the other passive?

S1) I would make a 1.5 ft^3 test box out if wood and test it.
Maybe two boxes like a 1.9 and a 1.5... just to make sure that 1.5 is correct, and verify it wound like it should.

In race car land, when a fat fellow and skinny fellow are sharing a car, they take a trash bag and put in two part foam, and the skinny fellow sits in the car seat.
( It makes one hell of a mess if the foam gets out.)

Then the foam hardens up.

After 15 minutes they can get out of the seat and unse a steak knife and trim the foam.
Then they usually upholstery cover it in duct tape.

In any case the foam in the bag conforms to seat shape one on side and to the butt shape on the other.

One could have something like a box in the middle of the trunk and use the foam to get a conforming shape to hug the outside. The box is only there to keep the foam from go towards the middle and to give a reference for side that the speakers will go on.

Then one either fibreglass over the foam, or make a mould using the foam.

I have 2 of the 10" S.L.A.P.S if you needed a trade for the 12"

Where in the states are you Sonic?

(Edit)

Once you have whatever volume box sounds good, then the fun really starts.
Get afriend or someone to help. Put the box where it would live and move it to n fro. You probabloso want to flip it so that you test with the PR in the back and in the front.
Depending on where it sounds good and what volume sounds good determines the length of the actual fibreglass box, and where it live.

It should be about the less obtrusive and most elegant solution for the volume of space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback!
1.I'm honestly not sure. I would like to turn it it anywhere under 30Hz. I hear bass rolls off much faster in PR builds than in ported builds.
2.No real reason. Just don't like the aesthetic of the nut and weight being added on the top of the cone lol.

Also I plan to use 12" PRs since they should always displace atleast twice as much air as the active woofer which can be do with either double excursion or more cone area. Do you think I should go for a 10 inch PR instead?
Also I live in Abilene, Texas. It's like the middle of nowhere lol

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!
1.I'm honestly not sure. I would like to turn it it anywhere under 30Hz. I hear bass rolls off much faster in PR builds than in ported builds.
2.No real reason. Just don't like the aesthetic of the nut and weight being added on the top of the cone lol.

Also I plan to use 12" PRs since they should always displace atleast twice as much air as the active woofer which can be do with either double excursion or more cone area. Do you think I should go for a 10 inch PR instead?
Also I live in Abilene, Texas. It's like the middle of nowhere lol
1) if they are both tuneable, then maybe start out a bit lower (25-28 Hz?)
What types of music do you listen to?
The stuff that goes the lowest would either define the tuning freq, or if you listened to rap which probably does not have a lot down really low... and also a little of the classical organ chamber music... then you want a subsonic filter so that the organ music does not launch the Voice Coils (VCs), if it is down at 20-Hz.

2) I think either should be just dandy.
If you did not have enough length for the extra 2" of the 12" PR, then that would favour the 10".
But it should not matter, and I would not suggest loosing any sleap over it.

I heard of Abilene in a Springsteen song...

Interested in how it comes together... a test box will likely guide you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mostly listen to EDM, Pop, R&B, and Funk. Thanks for all the tips though. I'll build a test box and post pictures once I start working on it.
And yeah, Abilene is far from everything. Dallas is almost three hours away. San Antonio is four, and Houston is about 6.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Sonic, I am super interested in your PR build ! Especially since I just ordered a 15" Dayton Audio PA for my own build :) What your considering looks freaking bad @ss to me ! :) Can't wait to see how this work out for you.
Concerning PR's, {and, Isobarically arranged subs, which decreases box volume by 3/4's !} I'm starting to get really fired up on the whole idea. Biggest reason being, I could actually do two 18"s mounted Isobarically, in a tiny (like 3 cu ft) cube, with 3 15" PR's, easily in my truck.... throw them some good power, and Bam :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts