DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about my SA-12 in a 1.0 sealed not being quite as loud as I'd hoped. Anyway, after some suggestions, I'm considering placing the sa 12 in a 1.75-2ft3 box with 2 passive radiators. The active would face rear with a PR facing both wheel wells (trunk).

I've been looking at boston gtr12, but I'm not sure if the xmax will match. Sa12 is 19mm. I know the TCs are my best bet, but I can't spend that much.

Any ideas on how this would sound? Also, I really need help finding reasonably priced, compatible 12" PRs. Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
898 Posts
They might not even be compatible with a PR.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Sigh....

Nick, let's try the word optimal. Slap any sub in a box with passive radiators and bass will be produced. It just might not be the optimal alignment for that sub.

Give CSS a look. YThey have their 15" PR on sale for 60 bucks shipped. I think I am going to get two. Want to try my TC3000 with a PR system to save space. The TC3000 is a sub designed for optimal use in small sealed enclosures. Works wonderfully in ported though. Since it works so well in a ported, switching to PR's to save space works the same way as you trade port for a weighted diaphram.

Creative Sound - Product Details

They are not pretty but I like the ability to add weight (tune) from the outside.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if a speaker will work in a ported box, then it will work for PR. the trick is to get a Pr that has MORE mass than the sub. use winISD or BB6 and model it. picking a PR with enough mass is important since you want the notch in the passband to be very low or it will effect your music.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sigh....

Nick, let's try the word optimal. Slap any sub in a box with passive radiators and bass will be produced. It just might not be the optimal alignment for that sub.

Give CSS a look. YThey have their 15" PR on sale for 60 bucks shipped. I think I am going to get two. Want to try my TC3000 with a PR system to save space. The TC3000 is a sub designed for optimal use in small sealed enclosures. Works wonderfully in ported though. Since it works so well in a ported, switching to PR's to save space works the same way as you trade port for a weighted diaphram.

They are not pretty but I like the ability to add weight (tune) from the outside.
Nice find! Any reviews on these yet? I love the front adjustment on it. I just wonder if it gets loose or rattles. They're not sexy, but with those specs and price... they have my eyes. I didn't see a cut-out measurement.

Have you modeled your set up yet? What outcome are you looking for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if a speaker will work in a ported box, then it will work for PR. the trick is to get a Pr that has MORE mass than the sub. use winISD or BB6 and model it. picking a PR with enough mass is important since you want the notch in the passband to be very low or it will effect your music.
My computer's down, so I won't be modeling anytime soon. I definitely don't want that notch to screw me over. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Read that link again I posted from AE speakers regarding PR's.

As for where to tune, I have heard many subs and home audio speakers using PR's that were tuned all over the place (10-60 hertz) never hears a detrimental issue from the polk and klipsh full range speakers or the any multitude of subs like sunfires the earthquakes, mtx, and give a look at the DIY HT subs from AVS and HTS. AE sells kits as well as TC Sounds using PR's. Just to point out a few cause I just woke up:blush:.

Add in the car fact and I think the only issues you may run into is placement to keep the car motion from interfering with the weighted cone.

Also remember that the roll off is faster after tuning than it is even for ported, so having that highpass to protect the system is important (SSF)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sigh....

Are you going to be using 1 tc3000 12" with 2 15" PRs?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I run a 15" sub. But yeah, 2 15" PR's for double the Displacement of my sub.

Your 12 would benefit from 2 12" or 1 15" PR

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
you can also get a single 15" PR and load it with more weight.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm considering the creative sound 15"PR. Say I have my dimensions figured out... what placement would be best? PR facing the cabin with the active facing the trunk open side? Or would that cause cancellation?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Trunk vehicle?

Sub facing back, PR side firing. This keeps the acceleration/braking from impacting the PR. That is what I would do.

No matter how you do it, Make sure you have that box securely mounted as the weight on the PR will want to move that box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trunk vehicle?

Sub facing back, PR side firing. This keeps the acceleration/braking from impacting the PR. That is what I would do.

No matter how you do it, Make sure you have that box securely mounted as the weight on the PR will want to move that box.
Toyota Camry. I'd like to do the 2 12 PRs, but they're $80 +$15 shipping a pop vs $60 shipped for the 15...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Toyota Camry. I'd like to do the 2 12 PRs, but they're $80 +$15 shipping a pop vs $60 shipped for the 15...
I hear ya!! I was saddened by the increase in the 12 from the 15. Of course it is a special. I need to just buy them already. Problem is, I spent my fun money wad on a MW3 Xbox 360 and 3 MW3 hardened editions for my house... We may play to much COD in my house.:blush:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear ya!! I was saddened by the increase in the 12 from the 15. Of course it is a special. I need to just buy them already. Problem is, I spent my fun money wad on a MW3 Xbox 360 and 3 MW3 hardened editions for my house... We may play to much COD in my house.:blush:
:D

Lol, yeah I still have to sell my old subs... the problem is that there is ALWAYS something new and exciting to buy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just ordered the css 15 PR. Think I'd be safe going with 1.9 cubes? It would save me a good man hunk of $$

1 - 20 of 21 Posts