DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder to think about it before sending payment as gift. :) or :(

Also, if you want to discuss it here for the benefit of others.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Low risk, lower-priced items where i trust the seller, sure.. I've used it before and received it many times.

Anything over a few hundred dollars, no f'in way. :)

End of the day, its not THAT much money to pay the damn fees. I'm pretty surprised when i get paid via gift tbh..

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have no issue and have in the past send payment as a gift to members on here that post often and name that I recognized. I will also ship items I sell and wait for payments after the item is received to said members as well. Then again, I don't buy or sell high-end gears (opinion) most of my purchases are around $300. I think the members on here are unlike any on the other forums I'm on. Outside of this forum, I will not send payment as a gift.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
In answer to the OP question, I suggest only using PayPal gift for payment only if you are willing to give your money away without getting anything in return, which is the definition of gift.

Just my .02

·
1,959 Posts
Do not ask that a buyer sends paypal payment as a gift. This is a against the Paypal TOS and we will not tolerate this type of abuse.
Putting the rules aside for a minute, I think a seller should price his items to suit his needs...including PayPal fees. If you settle upon a price and the seller asks that you send it as a gift, I would tell him that he should have thought of that before accepting the price. And I don't care what a person's iTrader feedback looks like, or if he's a friend...$h1t happens. Even a good seller could send something out thinking it works perfectly, or thinks that it's in better shape than the buyer thinks it should be. Once the buyer gets it and finds out it's not what he expected, he's left holding the bag.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I only send PP gift to legitimate friends.

I don't demand that someone pay me in that fashion. However, I do pass along that savings to buyers by offering them the option if they want to go that route and save a few bucks.
Totally agree!!
Asking as gift only allow to save $3 each $100, it means $15 on $500... do it worth? Absolutely not for me. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Only PP gift to people you legitimately know well enough that you'd pay them cash in person to receive something later.

Otherwise always PP G&S.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Paypal is not my favorite way to make or get payments for anything anymore. Im fact they now this month have changed their fee to do bank transfers. They just nicked me for 10.00 USD for a payment. I thought the ATM fee's were high for some transactions, but paypal has blown all that away. I choose to boycott paypal total ripoff!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I just don't like paypal period. they do charge 2.9% on business transactions, ok but as I said they use to charge .25 cents to do the bank transfer now they charge 1% up to 10.00 USD do the math.
So between fleabay and their final value fee, paypal with their 2.8% fee, and now the 1% bank transfer fee. Oh and fleabay also charges a fee for the shipping as well, when they do nothing in that respect.
I don't like the terms of doing business with either of the organizations. Just another leech on doing any business with fleabay and paypal.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Paypal is not my favorite way to make or get payments for anything anymore. Im fact they now this month have changed their fee to do bank transfers. They just nicked me for 10.00 USD for a payment. I thought the ATM fee's were high for some transactions, but paypal has blown all that away. I choose to boycott paypal total ripoff!
yeah, this fucks me badly. i do a lot of my business with paypal, and going from a 25 cent fee to instant transfer to 1% is insane. Maybe when your transferring 100 bucks, but no business transfers 100 bucks at a time.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
yeah, this fucks me badly. i do a lot of my business with paypal, and going from a 25 cent fee to instant transfer to 1% is insane. Maybe when your transferring 100 bucks, but no business transfers 100 bucks at a time.
I don't get what you are transferring to incur that fee?

As I read it, it would be to pay money using your bank account ONLY if using your debit card. Link your bank account and the transfer is free.

Linked bank account - Free
Instant Transfer with eligible linked debit card1% of amount transferred, with a maximum fee of $10.00

(https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees)

And as far as the other fees involved with a normal purchase, you guys do realize Visa and Mastercard get some of that 2.9%.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Oh and fleabay also charges a fee for the shipping as well, when they do nothing in that respect.
Not sticking up for them but they started doing this when people decided to try and take advantage and sell a $1000 item for $1 with $999 shipping. If people didn't try and screw them over, they wouldn't have changed.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
It's of my opinion that it's not a good idea to admit on a public forum that you "played the system". Doesn't matter how trustworthy someone is. It's also of my opinion that on used items you should NEVER send or receive payment as a gift.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just don't like paypal period. they do charge 2.9% on business transactions, ok but as I said they use to charge .25 cents to do the bank transfer now they charge 1% up to 10.00 USD do the math.
So between fleabay and their final value fee, paypal with their 2.8% fee, and now the 1% bank transfer fee. Oh and fleabay also charges a fee for the shipping as well, when they do nothing in that respect.
I don't like the terms of doing business with either of the organizations. Just another leech on doing any business with fleabay and paypal.
Right, it's called running a business. eBay and PayPal are not here to hold our hands. They are here to make money. If you don't like their tactics, don't use either. I choose to play their game, because it's just too damn convienient. I remember the days of selling shit on eBay, and waiting a week or more for the damn money order to come in the mail.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts