DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Right, it's called running a business. eBay and PayPal are not here to hold our hands. They are here to make money. If you don't like their tactics, don't use either. I choose to play their game, because it's just too damn convienient. I remember the days of selling shit on eBay, and waiting a week or more for the damn money order to come in the mail.
I agree. If people don't like their terms, they should not use it. In another forum I use, if you decide accept paypal, you can't even hint at using a different pricing structure if someone wants to pay with Paypal as opposed to cash/check/MO (such as the infamous increasing the price to cover the fees so the seller doesn't get shafted). There is 1 price and 1 price only. If the seller accepts paypal, they eat the fees, period. Same price if someone handed the seller cash, sent a check/MO/Cashier's check. Instant ban if they find out the seller PM'd the buyer to send more to cover fees, or asked the seller to send as gift payment. Most people just try to offer the best deal by doing the gift payment, but technically it is against their terms and conditions. If people ask for a gift payment, I add 2.9% + 30 cents to cover the exact fees and send a goods purchase payment. No chance of getting left hung out to dry like that. I think it's a very safe system overall. Perfect? No, nothing is. But it is safe IMO, and works well for most. Beats sending a bank wire transfer @ $45 per "wire", lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Someone don't like PayPal or eBay? Well, then sell it on Craigslist for cash. How many probabilities you have to sell it and even faster? They provide a service, if you agree with policy then use them. It's easy.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
No I don't like either. I use FB and that has sold most of my stuff for about a year now. You are correct they do provide a service, but they gouge their customers in my opinion. Charging me 10.00 for an electronic bank transfer, excessive for my business with them.
I realize you might believe they are not excessive. I sell radios I restore on ebay. The radio is a 7909J ready to rock and roll, with us tuning. So the listing is for $1200.00 USD say I sold ten units. Ebay charges me 120.00 each, final value fee of $1200.00 USD for ten pieces then 10% shipping fee of say 2.50 and total of 25.00 USD for all ten units. I am paid via paypal and they charge 2.9% on the 1200.00 34.80 a total of 348.00 for ten units. Now paypal also has started charging 10.00 USD for a 1200.00 dollar bank transfer for a total of 100.00 for ten pieces. so the grand total for all the charges with paypal and ebay is $1673.00 USD. That is accurate charges for ten pieces, now do you better understand why I don't want to use them to sell radios.
Service, ok, costly very much so.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
As a side note---if paying as a Gift--make sure to include address. Ive had a few transactions recently both buying and selling where funds were sent as gift and address is not included.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
No I don't like either. I use FB and that has sold most of my stuff for about a year now. You are correct they do provide a service, but they gouge their customers in my opinion. Charging me 10.00 for an electronic bank transfer, excessive for my business with them.
I realize you might believe they are not excessive. I sell radios I restore on ebay. The radio is a 7909J ready to rock and roll, with us tuning. So the listing is for $1200.00 USD say I sold ten units. Ebay charges me 120.00 each, final value fee of $1200.00 USD for ten pieces then 10% shipping fee of say 2.50 and total of 25.00 USD for all ten units. I am paid via paypal and they charge 2.9% on the 1200.00 34.80 a total of 348.00 for ten units. Now paypal also has started charging 10.00 USD for a 1200.00 dollar bank transfer for a total of 100.00 for ten pieces. so the grand total for all the charges with paypal and ebay is $1673.00 USD. That is accurate charges for ten pieces, now do you better understand why I don't want to use them to sell radios.
Service, ok, costly very much so.
As much as I don't like to lose money either, they are 100% entitled to do what they want with their companies. Don't use them to sell your radios. It's not gouging because it is not a vital necessity. Charging $10/gal of gasoline or diesel during a national crisis/natural disaster might be considered gouging. Selling a 20pk of bottled water for $20 during a national crisis/natural disaster might be considered gouging. Selling radios on Ebay? Ain't no federal agency gonna get your back on that brother. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
You guys are correct, Fleabay and Paypal are entitled to charge whatever they want. I think their fee's are to high, so I don't like to use them for anything except buying stuff. I am in the minority I realize that, but as you both mentioned don't use their "service" and I don't as much as possible. Its the same old story, they start a service, and at first it is good and worth the fee's but after a number of years, they increase the cost of utilizing their service. Well for me it has become to costly "for me" I believe in a fair profit for time and labor, but when you are the only business on the block and you take advantage of that, I believe that is wrong.
I work on radios for fun as a hobby because I am very good at it. I like repairing that prized piece of gear someone just loves and wants to work. I don't spend my time and expertise to do free work, but I am very reasonable for whatever I work on. I have my primary work I do for my income and that is good for me.
Having been in the corporate world doing very technical and very specialized work, most of which I was the only person doing the work, and seeing how much the organizations I worked for charged for "their services" and how much they paid me to perform the tasks to enable the company to have the "service" in the first place, I really got a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing.
The only place I worked that I was happy to provided my services for low compensation for my tasks was the military, not so good pay, allot of responsibility, accountability, and very structured life. I was happy to do it, and there are times I have thought I should have stayed in the military after having to deal with the private corporate sector. I believe in making a fair profit from my work, but I don't believe its all about me and screw everyone else in the process. I hope you guys get what I am saying.
Anyway, have a wonderful and blessed thanksgiving. Here in America, we really do have allot to be thankful for and are indebted to this country, the best country on earth.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I remember the days of selling shit on eBay, and waiting a week or more for the damn money order to come in the mail.
That's some old-school goodness right there. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have had numerous ppl gift me the money and they have all received what was paid for. Unfortunately there are people out there who are scum bags and will rip anyone and everyone off that they can. If they don’t have a good trader rating I myself would not do it .

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't see a problem with ebay/paypal charging whatever they want, it's a free country. Just because we all would rather get charged less for a service doesn't mean they're doing something evil and it doesn't mean we should bitch about it or scheme ways to take advantage of their services and not pay them. You don't need ebay/paypal to live and/or do business. It's a convenience service. If you don't like it, don't use it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I think it is a tad bit humorous that people despise PayPal for charging 3% and yet don't realize they are paying the extra 3% every day on every item they purchase at any store or the internet, it is just built into the price already by the Retailer.....lol.

Gas stations used to have a "cash price" but not anymore (at least around me).

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
In another forum I use, if you decide accept paypal, you can't even hint at using a different pricing structure if someone wants to pay with Paypal as opposed to cash/check/MO (such as the infamous increasing the price to cover the fees so the seller doesn't get shafted). There is 1 price and 1 price only. If the seller accepts paypal, they eat the fees, period.
that's one thing i always wondered about - how can those that own/operate a site with a high volume of p2p sales openly allow their members to violate the TOS of paypal? it expressly states you cannot charge an additional fee to cover the costs of using the service yet i see posts on all sorts of forums for "$X + 3.X% (it varies from .3 to .5) for paypal fees".

if the seller sets the terms (paypal only) then they should eat whatever fees they are charged for using the payment service they chose. alternatively they can be smart about it and add the fee into their advertised price (i.e. charge $105 for a $100 item). everyone follows their own morals/beliefs and i choose not to do business with anyone who requires the buyer cover the fee or a gift payment is used. if you are that hard up for money then you should be selling whatever you have as fast as you possibly can for whatever you can get.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts