DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you supposed to set the arrival times equal for the left and right channels? It seems like the right should arrive later as it is farther away.

I can understand why you would want to synchronize the drivers on each side, but not left versus right.

Here are my tweeter (green is right) measured from the driver's headrest. BitOne with measured distances entered.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
For a start keep to same arrival times. Set the drivers to measured distances. You can come back later and play with this a bit. Down the line you would use TA for a better focused imaging and stuff like helping with stage height. These settings wil be different from measured distances, but for a start measure and set.

Your biggest gains vis a vis tonality and imaging (to a point) will come from using the eq to balance what you're hearing. Hence balance for L/R response and how you level match across the 10 octaves. This is where you should focus your efforts for a start.

Set your xovers to 'easy to tune points' e.g. midbass to midrange ~400-500hz and mr to tweet ~ 4-5khz.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, sqnut!

I had it sounding very good using eq only, but my corrections seemed very extreme and sometimes asymmetrical--with resulting poor imaging.

I thought if I went back to basics I could end up with less corrections.

I was working my way through the tutorial below, and trying to understand the concepts.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...our-car-using-pc-based-measurement-setup.html

So far I have plotted the frequency responses of the drivers and adjusted the crossover points for the smoothest response (400 and 3K).

Next project was to check for polarity, then start adjusting individual channel frequency response. At your suggestion I will come back to TA later if needed.

Does this make sense?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts