DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PDX 1000.1 and it keeps shutting down on the low notes when I am rocking out....I have the gain set at around 75% on two memphis shallow dual 4 ohm subs wired so that it is a 4 ohm load....worked fine for a couple of weeks now it just started messing up...anything PDX owners can think off?

·
Registered
973 Posts
x2 on the install problem, but idk what it could be. on a side note? how do you like those S Class memphis subs??? ive been thinking about running one!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it was a install problem if i just swapped out the amp with a TMA 500 would it work because it does....I don't know if I just bought a bad one I got it from a local dealer so I have a warranty man I should have just got a JL amp!!!

Also the memphis subs are great maybe just a hair under the JL's but over half the price

·
Registered
694 Posts
ur absolutely positive you have them wired up to 4 ohm? id say check some wires, or cash in that warranty.
Wouldn't matter?

From what I remember the PDX is stable at 1ohm, and puts out regulated power of 1000 watts no matter what ohm configuration.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sounds good. Didn't know. That also would be a reason the amp would cut out. I wired up my HT subs the wrong way and blew out a parts express amp in short order doing that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK quick update....

Went to the shop that it was purchased from they bench tested and stated that it worked because it pushed the little 5 inch speaker they attached to the amp....I said o' yea then install it back in my truck and thank you for checking it for me...The installer came back within 5 minutes and asked me what was it doing again so I told him...He told the manager yea that is what it happening when the bass hits sometimes it will play it, sometimes not, and sometimes turns off all the way (no power lights at all)...Double check all wires and everything was up to speed...Subs wired correctly, Power, Ground, Remote wire, RCA's....

Shop agreed to send it back to alpine now just waiting to see how long the turn around time is gonna be....I dont know if I bought a faulty one or if the owner just scammed me I only paid 395.00 for it brand new in the box from an authorized Alpine Dealer but have had battles with it since day one..I really hope that Alpine is able to fix it I like the size and power when it does work...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think when I get it back I want to sell it and find a JL audio amp or memphis amp to take its place....I would like to try two of the TW5's under the back seat of the silverado.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe you should actually listen to the PM i sent you...
The amp shuts off because your charging system isnt supplying enough power to the amp so the amp goes into protect. I had the same amp, same problem and found multiple, multiple similar cases with the same situation, same amp. Get a better battery and do the big 3 upgrade if necessary to fix the problem.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
The big 3 has been proven unnecessary. A solid (REAL SOLID) ground would be my suggestion, followed by checking the wiring in the engine bay for any corrosion or wear and tear.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ground,

Yeah i don't believe you killed an pdx 1000

you only paid 400 for a pdx 1000 ??? dude their 800 new, are you sure thats real ?????

on a side note
Isn't the pdx tested and rated at 11.8 volts ? so it should be stable, unless you **** stuff dips below 10 volts and you would really notice that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts