DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. It's my first time writing a post myself here.:)

I read a lot....reviews, infos on new equipments, even classifides.....DIYMA is really a valuable source of caraudio-related information for me......but I seldom writes. It maybe because English is not my mother tongue..:D

Anyway....I recently purchased a used Alpine PDX F4 Amplifier here in my country. It seems to work perfectly except for one thing.

The numberings on the input channels do not match those of the ouput channels. That is, input channel 1 is supposed to be connected to output channel 1, right? My amp connects input channel 1 with output channel 2......input 2 with output 1........inputs 3 & 4 with outputs 4 & 3..........overall, L input channels connected with R output channels, and vice versa.

Anyone ever seen a PDX F4 or F6 working this way?

AFAIK, all 4 rca input jacks of this PDX amp belong to a single input jack assembly that is soldered directly to the PCB, with no flying wires. So, this mismatch of input-output connection can't happen.....

Also, my PDX F4 looks a bit different from those pics I found by googling. The biggest difference being the power connector.....it's wider than the current ones and the screws have phillips-head, not allen-head...

Though it seems all current F4 and F6 amps have power connector with allen-headed screws(from the pics of these amps on ebay), pacparts.com does sell wider power connectors with phillips-headed screws for F4 and F6, while they have narrower power connectors with allen screws for M6 and M12...

The front pannel lighting is somewhat different too.......no light diffuser.....only lights in the center region..

Looks like my PDX F4 is an earlier version(or a prototype? :( ), or can it be a region-specific model...?

Anyway......any one of you had or heard of the same problem with me? I tried to contact Alpine, Japan or USA, but neither of them provides e-mail links for customer support. Alpine distributor in Korea does not yet import these new PDX series, so I didn't even try to ask them. Yes...I don't even know where my PDX F4 comes from...:worried:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unusual-could you have a fake? Not heard of fakes of the PDX range, but I have been sent brochures containing fake V12 amps!
Well....I don't know.....but I doubt it's a fake......I've seen some pics of the new PDX amplifier looking the same as mine.....power plug and front panel lighting.......even some Alpine international websites has pics of this amp with this earlier(?) version power plug..

Also, to my ears, this small amplifier sounds as good as my previous A/B Class amplifier..:D

Never heard of fake PDX amp either......guess it won't be easy to copy a full-range D class amplifier and make it sound as good as a decent AB class ones, without some high technology and good enough experience on full-range class D amplifiers.

Maybe I'll have to open it up to see if there is a trace of any mod or repair in the input section.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts