DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am changing my system setup....changed the subwoofer to Morel Ultimo SC 12 a few weeks ago, and changing the amps......all new PDX series for more space......and having some problems with sub channel configuration...

Here is my new setup plan...

Front: Morel Elate 2-way....w/o XO....mid by PDX F6 bridged (300W x 2), tweeter by PDX F4 (100W x 2)

Rear: Morel Integra ovation XO 5.....by PDX F4 (100W x 2)

Sub: Morel Ultimo SC 12 (4ohm)....by PDX M6 (600W)

All amps are fed by JBL MS-8. ATM, I have all gears but PDX F6.

300W power for a front mid may seem a bit too much, but I decided to do so because of power balance between mid and tweeter that I leaned from my previous experiences(same speakers with different amps). Also, I heard that Morel Elate mids are power-hungry...:)

PDX M6 looked like a perfect match for Ultimo SC 12(Power Handling of 600W), and I myself believed so. But, now I'm not sure if 600W of sub power will go well with 300W x 2 mids.

I tried F4 + M6 combination, F4 for fronts(100W for each mid, that is) and M6 for sub, rears not connected, and the sub seemed to be somewhat weak with the gain knob of M6 at 12 o'clock.

I know that PDX M6 input section receives upto 8V signal, so I may safely turn the gain up a bit more. Just that....I haven't tried raising the gain higher than 12 o'clock with any amps I've used. Too much gain is no good for amps, AFAIK, and 12 o'clock is already too much for me...:worried:

Should I try turning up the gain more? Or do I need to change M6 to M12 for better balance between mids and sub? Please help me with some advice on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Umm... do you know anything about setting gains or are you kinda guessing here? How do you figure that higher input capability means you should turn the gains up higher?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm... do you know anything about setting gains or are you kinda guessing here? How do you figure that higher input capability means you should turn the gains up higher?
Well....About the "turning up the gain higher than 12 o'clock may be safe" thing, I'm just guessing.....

What I mean with it is, in fact, the gain knob position, not the gain value.....with the same input voltage, the gain knob position of a higher input capability amplifier for maximum unclipped output should be higher.....that's just it...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Okay, I got ya now. I'd start by measuring the output on your amp with a multimeter. I have no idea what frequency you'll be running your crossovers at, but essentially pick a frequency that your crossover won't really effect, then go ahead and play a CD with a test tone at that frequency, measure the AC output of your amp. And remember watts = volts * volts / resistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts