DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
yea i saw that... tempting but i'm gettin a little trigger happy with the purchases so i gotta say no. now i need to sell the p9

·
Registered
200 Posts
kappa546 said:
yea i saw that... tempting but i'm gettin a little trigger happy with the purchases so i gotta say no. now i need to sell the p9
Ouch, that's so tempting :*(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry, don't know what the P9 is, I was referring to the sub Amp... Could really use a home sub amp, been wanting to build one with the 12" Dayton HF sub...

·
Registered
531 Posts
i bought one of those when they were $300....

and i was going to put mine up for sale today....and then i was browsing PE late last night and saw that deal.

and was like.

****. :)

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Man, what's with all the class D bashing lately? Even the PE ad for that amp sticks the knife in. Yesterday's godsend is today's outcast.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
MarkZ said:
Man, what's with all the class D bashing lately? Even the PE ad for that amp sticks the knife in. Yesterday's godsend is today's outcast.
Class D's used to be laiden with awful distortion and unreliable. Modern engineering and better components have changed that. But you can't change some people's ways, that's why I'm ditching my car and starting to ride a horse, because the Model T was slow and unreliable :)

Chad

·
Registered
200 Posts
MarkZ said:
php killed the uue :( Hello Mark! How's the Pats doing?

Back to on topic, Have class D improve siginificantly since their inseption (sp?) Transistors and such have faster switching to produce a cleaner sound?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Not only have fets become faster but most importantly capacitor technology has come leaps and bounds. When working in the trenches I serviced all of the amps for a national DJ chain. They were the Peavey DPC line. These had a bad rap for failure after they age. This was mostly due to cap tolerances slipping in the final filtering stage. This would present quite a ****ty load to the fets and poof! Not only that but switching components have become better. The main fet's weren't really the problem, they became the problem when they came crashing into each other. Timing is EVERYTHING in a PWM amp. Even those amps did not sound bad on high end, they were a little brash but you could never walk into a club and say "yep those are PWM amps!" The newer designs are FANTASTIC, they sound great, are light weight, make a ****load of power, efficient, etc. This means for the pro guy... lighter truck packs, smaller crew, less stress on the AC distro. All of these factors greatly negate the increase in price for the "new" technology within a few shows of the tour. Somewhere there is a white paper on how the Crown K series works, although it has a conventional power supply the amp section is PWM. this IMHO was one of the first GREAT sounding PWM amps. Easy to understand too! What was impressive in Crown School was the realization that the amp has full current POTENTIAL floating around the filter network, just no power due to no voltage differential. really helped me understand how and why they fail soooo spectacularly :)

The have been around for a long time, people were doing PWM with tubes :) Hmmm, maybe I'll build a firebottle PWM amp and see how it does, later, much later :)

Chad

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think Henry Ford said "if I had listened to what people wanted, we would have ended up with faster horses" instead of the Model T.

Juan

chad said:
Class D's used to be laiden with awful distortion and unreliable. Modern engineering and better components have changed that. But you can't change some people's ways, that's why I'm ditching my car and starting to ride a horse, because the Model T was slow and unreliable :)

Chad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts