DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like 1 way xmax is 10mm, both suspension and motor limited. There is a rearward offset in the voice coil, but the mechanical compliance is extremely linear and symmetrical. An efficiency of almost 91dbwm is an added bonus as well.

For the money, I think these are unbeatable. I probably wouldn't use them beyond 400hz or so, but they have a very high efficiency and displacement that would be perfect for use as a dedicated mid/bass.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I talked to PeteyGoesBoom and said he was gonna : )

Thanks for the measurements Nguyen. I wish I had more drivers to send you that have not already been tested on one site or another.

I plan on using 4 of these in my new home audio venture. They need to mate with a PHL 1120 in the 300 Hz range.

If cost was no issue to you Nguyen, would these 8" drivers be in the top ten of speakers to use in the 35 Hz to 350 Hz range? SQ is the one and only concern : )

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No doubt about it... if I had to use only one 8" midbass up to 350hz this would be it. I haven't come across anything better price/performance wise.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
ooh cool you finally got one tested thats cool!!!

yeah I digged those 8's a lot more than the daytons I know that much. The exclusive sounds as goo- SQ wise , plays higher, but has no where near the lowend punch that these have (ive owned and used all 3)

wich you could test those lotus 4 ohm 8's that 3.5maxspd has, if ever order a pair Ill send them over to you

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Holy mounting depth!

Suits my application perfectly, but it's too deep for the window. I'll live with my RS180s, because I think that's about as deep as I can go. I'd love to get something with a little more low end in there though, especially since I cross at about 400 Hz...

·
Registered
865 Posts
npdang or anybody else with experience with these,

Would 1 of these(or a 8" Exclusive) work well as an up-front subwoofer playing about 25- 80hz? Also, would either one work well in a small (.5cuft) sealed box?

Thanks for the help

DeLander

·
Registered
531 Posts
i've never put mine in an enclosure but i bet they would do great.....they dig very deep IB....with their low Q i bet you could port them with good results....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
DeLander said:
npdang or anybody else with experience with these,

Would 1 of these(or a 8" Exclusive) work well as an up-front subwoofer playing about 25- 80hz? Also, would either one work well in a small (.5cuft) sealed box?

Thanks for the help

DeLander
If you're looking for 8" to do sub dutys... take a look at these JBL pdf here...
Only need a .3cu.ft box and got 11.5mm x-max... low inductance too...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks Derek & 300Z,
Derek, I think if I go with a "sub-woofer", it'll probably be the ID8v3.

I'd like to try something different though. That's why I've been looking at these Peerless woofers.

Can someone tell me by looking at the specs., if they would be good in a sealed box about .5cuft ? What specs. determine the enclosure parameters(sealed vs. ported, volume, etc.) of a driver?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DeLander

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you'd be surprised. Alot of stock factory speakers use a similar untreated paper cone, and they usually have no problems holding up for years.

·
Registered
578 Posts
kappa546 said:
has anyone treated theirs? just by touching the cone i get the feeling they'll soak up and deteriorate like cardboard if i put em in the doors
You should always use foam baffles (like XTC) to protect them... just cut the baffles to build your drivers a custom protection hat to shield water away from them...

1 - 20 of 84 Posts