DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone w/ direct experiance w/ both could give a nod either way. Current set up has an IA ND12 in a 1.25 cu.ft. sealed box w/ CDT comps passive in door/kicks. Got 100w to fronts and about 350w to sub. Fixed highpass to comps at 120hz will require sub to play high to blend well. Looking for SQ articulate bass which has more output lower down and more impact than ND12, while keeping the IAs 'up front' bass experiance. I would stuff the box for the XXLS or run the SI Mag at 1.25. The XXLS is going for $149 + shipping and the SI Mag for $249 shipped. I would rather spend less, but rather get the 'right' one.
If comps highpass is too high I could replace amp w/ one w/ adjustable X-over. Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh hell w/ the 'direct experiance' w/ both...if anyone has has a brother or a cousin twice removed or a rumour of a myth about how say the XXLS might fit my needs feel free to chime in. :D I have a pretty good idea what the SI MagD2 v4 is like from reading here.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I believe the sealed version of the xxls needs a larger sealed box.

However, an xxls designed to be matched with a passive radiator would fit in that box and sound great.

Have never heard the mag.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got the Mag v4D2 and it is a transcendent sub. My review is post #163 here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/50446-stereo-integrity-mag-v4-7.html
Now my previously better CL has been surpassed by my TL's system so I was thinking to upgrade from the CL's IDQ12v2. I know that I like the Mag, a lot, but still am curious after comparing the technical notes of this and the Auto 12XXLS Peerless. So one more time, does anyone have a whisper of a notion that the xxls may approximate the level of SQ of the Mag?
I think I may just be too curious here , read 'dumbass', and should just get another Mag and be done with...but this is DIY, right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I think I've got my XXLS 12's each in 1.7 cubes in the house if I recall correctly. The mag would be the better choice for a vehicle application I would think. Smaller box and I think it is probably lighter too.

Don't get me wrong though, I LOOOOOVE my Peerless subs at home. Very musical and extremely well built. They produce nothing but sweet music even when you flog them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tyroneshoes and ItalynStylion. I wonder why such a large box seems to be the consensus on the Auto XXLS? When I model the sealed box I get 1.35 cuft for Qtc of .7 and 1.05 cuft for Qtc of .75. Yet even Madisound recommends an even larger 1.5 cuft volume which would be about .68 Qtc. Are these lower box tunings in vogue for SQ in car? Oddly the recommended volume for the SI Magv4 D2 (which I have done) gives a Qtc of .81. Other factors like maybe accounting for variability of T/S parameters? Given the apparent build of the SI and what I would expect from Peerless, I would think 'reliability', ie. consistancy of specs, should be tight enough to plan off of. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts