DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 8" driver is legendary, but has anybody used to 6.5" model? It models in a sealed box at 0.10 cubes. Please comment on your thoughts ...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm sure this has been covered a few times, by me at least twice however, it is a very capable driver if you cannot fit 8" speakers up front.

They play very well down to 50hz without issues IB'd in a door. The downside is that I would not use them above 1kHz, they suck horribly. Then again, Tymphany does list it as a subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I wouldn't bother with running it sealed, unless for some reason you must do that. I don't remember exactly if anyone has run it in that alignment, most have run it IB'd in doors.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If I asked the question, there must be a reason ...

Then, maybe your question could be better answered if you actually gave us a hint at what you're trying to accomplish.

And really, your original question was "Has anyone used the 6.5" model?" My answer was yes, so.....oh, and I gave you my thoughts.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Funny you bring this thread up. I just bought two of them the other day, and I'm in the process of a kick panel build. .1 cubes is exactly the number I'm shooting for here (sealed off kick panel enclosures) and I'm bending over backwards on a ladder while standing on one foot to get .1 cubes out of a kick panel enclosure in my s10.

The build thread in my link leads to the current kick panel build (the very start of it anyway) and some pics of the equipment on page 4. Give me a week or so and I'll get back here with a review on the speakers. I'll also be including what size of enclosures I used, etc to achieve my results.

Hopefully you can wait a good week or so lol.

btw, I'm going 3-way "partially" active. If you care enough to want to know what "partially" active is, check out the last page of my build thread.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then, maybe your question could be better answered if you actually gave us a hint at what you're trying to accomplish.

And really, your original question was "Has anyone used the 6.5" model?" My answer was yes, so.....oh, and I gave you my thoughts.
Maybe the mention of it going in 0.1 cubes sealed should have been sufficient to indicate that ...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Maybe the mention of it going in 0.1 cubes sealed should have been sufficient to indicate that ...
Models in .1 and going in .1 are different.

My DIYMA models in 1.0 tuned to 29hz, doesn't mean I'm going to use it that way.

Your original post was vague, you didn't mention once in there that you wanted to use it in .1 sealed. Yes, it models in that, but again my thoughts are I wouldn't bother using it that way.

·
18,694 Posts
no offense, but you seem to be a bit all over the map.

maybe you should narrow your choices down and make a single thread involving the scan rev, seas w18, and this driver.

Quite honestly, if you're running 3-way (well, you're running that fostex so you're essentially going 3-way in regards to having a dedicated midbass) I think you should just stick with that dyn 172 you have, unless you have a serious issue with it. I know you mentioned a certain range was giving you issues. Have you really worked on tuning (especially phasing) to truly count that driver out as a possibility?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sorry, I'm just in a grouchy mood lately, I have no clue how it would work in that situation, because I've never used it in such.

Again, where are you going to be installing this?

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The point is, I want my midbass OUT of my doors ....

MW172 isn't working in a kick ...

I tried to start a thread, asking for suggestions for midbass drivers for sealed apps, and got NOTHING in response ...

·
Registered
383 Posts
The point is, I want my midbass OUT of my doors

This is one of the main reasons I build my own kick panels. I never knew how many rattles and squeaks I had in this cheap GM door panel until they were all gone.

I tried to start a thread, asking for suggestions for midbass drivers for sealed apps, and got NOTHING in response ...
Please, no need to get all worked up here. No one HAS to respond to anything. Be appreciative that you have other people to talk to and discuss issues with. I know I'm relying on a lot of different people/opinions/facts in this current kick panel build.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, it models in that, but again my thoughts are I wouldn't bother using it that way.

I have no clue how it would work in that situation, because I've never used it in such.

Are you talking about these Peerless SLS drivers? What situation did you use them in and how well did they perform?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Are you talking about these Peerless SLS drivers? What situation did you use them in and how well did they perform?
Yes, the 6.5 specifically. I used the IB'd in my door for about 4 months. They were excellent as a dedicated MB playing 50hz-250hz. In a well treated door they can play to 40hz with no issues.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
1 - 20 of 90 Posts