DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I finally got the Peerless SLS' after alot of debating over which midbass to go with. (Madisounds page on them can be found here: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1386 )

It took alot of work to get them installed in the doors, but they are in and currently breaking in.
Its apparent when looking at these drivers that they are very solidly built. They have a beefy magnet and a stiff cone with a thick rubber surround.

Getting them into the doors of my Lancer required quite a bit of modification, some of which is still left to be done (door card molding and finish work). Two 3/4" baffles and some elbow grease later they fit in there though.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

My new midrange and tweeters havent yet been installed, but I still have my old tweeters connected up and run active so I figured I may as well get the new MB started on breaking in. It wouldnt sound great without a dedicated midrange, but its function over form for now.
Today I connected them to the amp and took a listen... HO-LY SHIT :eek:

These 8"ers not only play with authority, but they dig DEEP. You would swear there is a 12" sub in the car. Funny thing is, they are being run right now off of 2 channels of an Arc 4150cxlr. So they are seeing maybe 80 watts a piece.
:p I had them crossed at 500hz so they upperbass region sounded a bit "soft". What I mean by that is that it lacked clarity. This comes as no surprise though as these drivers are really meant to be crossed much lower. I will be starting them at about 200hz and working from there to blend them with the HAT L4 mids once they are in.

Test Conditions:
Head Unit: Clarion DRZ-9255
Amp: Arc Audio 4150cxlr
Driver mounted in doors, IB on two 3/4" birch baffles.

I tested with a few different genres of music to mix it up.
First up was a few tracks off of a Killswitch Engage cd. They are a metal band that has some really killer guitar/bass riffs and they usually have some great kick drums to go along with. The SLS' played very well through the tracks albeit a tiny bit soft around the edges.

Next up was a low frequency extension test with a track titled "Superman" from Ginuwine's album "The Life". This track features some really deep digging bass in his R&B song. I was shocked that the drivers not only played the lowest notes, but did so with authority. I really wasnt expecting this kind of low end extension from an 8" midbass.

Next I decided to try a few rock classics and threw in the Van Halen greatest hits album. "Panama", "You really got me",and "Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love" all played smooth and fast through the SLS'.

I cant imagine what these are going to sound like after being broken in and properly powered. I have a PPI PCX-480 and a PCX-2200 to choose from for these bad boys, so they will be getting plenty of power.

They are actually making me reconsider whether or not I will even use a dedicated sub. Once I get the new mid/tweets in, I will evaluate further and give a proper review of these drivers for you guys. But right now, I can honestly say that these must be one of the best values out there right now.
Dont let it be like the Peerless Exclusive 4", get it while you actually still can. For under $60 each, they really cant be beat.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hmmm, I'll be putting 2 of those in each door, giving them about 580W in total (Genesis Four Channel bridged, 1 bridge per side)... I guess midbass shouldn't be a problem after reading this :D

greetz,
Isabelle

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I really have to make up my mind, do I get the 8 inch verison, or the 10.
Tuff call. The 10 is like a buck more but requires more modifications.

Thanks for the quick review.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks alot captainobvious, now i have to sell my pioneer prs sub, just to get a pair of these before they up the price:p... lol. no honestly though thanks for helping me decide that those are the 8's for me. your description is exactly what i hoped to hear :).

Now in your opinion (or anyone else's) would those mate up good with a pair of 3.5 peerless 830986 mids and the alpine spx-pro tweets (tweets and mid will be run with a 2-way passive, while the 8's will run from the low pass from the 4 channel amp)? the amp i plan to use is the kenwood kac-x4r 4 channel.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hmmm, I'll be putting 2 of those in each door, giving them about 580W in total (Genesis Four Channel bridged, 1 bridge per side)... I guess midbass shouldn't be a problem after reading this :D

greetz,
Isabelle
just do a single 10 on each side. Much simpler and with very similar output. Save you some money as well..:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Today I connected them to the amp and took a listen... HO-LY SHIT :eek:

gee, go figure, captainobvious...:p

lol...Yea, the sls is about the best midbass you can buy, especially for the money. Long as you don't need it more then 300hz or so, it is amazing.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have to cut the door metal for them to fit?
Nope. I needed 2 baffles to accomodate the depth, and with 1.5" worth of birch baffle the magnet and lower basket cleared the existing mounting hole from the old 6.5" set without any major problems. The doorcard however is a different story as you can see...:(

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

greetz,
Isabelle

You REALLY dont need two of them, but if you manage to squeeze them in there then mount them to some solid baffles and deaden the door up really well. OH, and dont plan on needing any subs with 4 of those in the car :p

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot captainobvious, now i have to sell my pioneer prs sub, just to get a pair of these before they up the price:p... lol. no honestly though thanks for helping me decide that those are the 8's for me. your description is exactly what i hoped to hear :).

Now in your opinion (or anyone else's) would those mate up good with a pair of 3.5 peerless 830986 mids and the alpine spx-pro tweets (tweets and mid will be run with a 2-way passive, while the 8's will run from the low pass from the 4 channel amp)? the amp i plan to use is the kenwood kac-x4r 4 channel.
I think they would mate up okay with the 830986. I'm not sure what the lower midrange response is going to look like on them(the mids) but if they are crossed at around 200hz+ and the SLS at 250 and down or lower, you should be good to go.

What is the passive crossover setting for the midrange?

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really have to make up my mind, do I get the 8 inch verison, or the 10.
Tuff call. The 10 is like a buck more but requires more modifications.

Thanks for the quick review.

Are you planning on running a sub in your system? If so, I wouldnt think you'll need the 10"...especially if it means more modification. It probably wouldnt be worth the minimal gains.
Believe me, you'll be impressed by this $60 driver. Its quite good. ;)

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gee, go figure, captainobvious...:p

lol...Yea, the sls is about the best midbass you can buy, especially for the money. Long as you don't need it more then 300hz or so, it is amazing.

Couldn't agree more. This is the first offering from Peerless that I've tried and I'm thoroughly impressed with their build quality and incredible value. If this speaker had the (insert high-end name brand preference here) name stamped on it, it would sell for easily double, maybe even triple the cost.

I'm glad I listened to those of you who gave them a solid recommendation. :)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
curious if your opinion of whether or not you need a sub will change once you start moving.

ime with 8s that play into sub territory, it is great while you are sitting still, but once you start moving you begin to miss the impact of a dedicated sub.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
curious if your opinion of whether or not you need a sub will change once you start moving.

ime with 8s that play into sub territory, it is great while you are sitting still, but once you start moving you begin to miss the impact of a dedicated sub.

I did some highway driving yesterday and today, with windows down and they still had plenty of kick. ;)
I was quite serious when I said it sounds/feels as if I have a 12 inch sub in the trunk.

Of course cars will differ with how much road and wind noise enters the cabin once your rolling, but I'd say mine is about average as far as that goes, if that helps any.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quick comparo!

peerless sls vs. exclusive

GO!

I'll have to defer that one to others with experience with the exclusives. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people :blush:

I also had been asking for a comparison of the two drivers and there was some info on them that I dug up on the site.
From what I have heard and read, the exclusives are meant more for lower midrange and some midbass while the SLS is purely focused on the bottom end (about 300hz and down) and the SLS supposedly delivers much more output down low. If I was going to run a 2 way system, I would have absolutely gone with the exclusive over the SLS as it was designed for that and the SLS was clearly not.

Hopefully others will confirm or at least voice their opinions on the matter.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think they would mate up okay with the 830986. I'm not sure what the lower midrange response is going to look like on them(the mids) but if they are crossed at around 200hz+ and the SLS at 250 and down or lower, you should be good to go.

What is the passive crossover setting for the midrange?
As far as the passive crossover i have yet to build one. I still haven't purchased the mids as they are on backorder. Plus after posting my question i had did a search on the Tang Band W3-1364SA so i might go with those.

still trying to get a idea on how those sound compared to the peerless 83098 mids. but i figured around 5-6khz between the mids and the tweets.

And then i wanted to 1st run the SLS up to around 500hz and then work down from there. now if you or anybody else has some better x-over points then by all means post your suggestions. keep in mind though the way my car is setup, both tweets and midrange will be on-axis at the top forward position of my car right next to each other. (posted pics to give you an idea)

The 8" will go in the lower factory door location.
this setup will be powered by a kenwood kac-x4r.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Are you planning on running a sub in your system? If so, I wouldnt think you'll need the 10"...especially if it means more modification. It probably wouldnt be worth the minimal gains.
Believe me, you'll be impressed by this $60 driver. Its quite good. ;)
Interesting thanks for the tip. Also, resale on a 10inch mid would be pretty limited. I do plan on running a subs, but if I could get away with no sub then.... I might choose that route.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts