DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been highly considereing the thought of trying out the Peerless XLS 8" Midbasses as dedicated midbasses, Sure i love my Seas CA18's to death, but i seem to think that i may want more midbass output. If i do get them, and get the 3" Trius as midrange, then the XLS's will be getting 160rms x2 @4ohms, and the Trius 82rms x 4 @ 4ohms.

My biggest concern is fitting them into my doors, without having to cutt my Plastic grill on the panel itself, as well as cutting any type of metal on the door at all. My doors are plenty deep for my Seas CA18's infact i think i have plenty of room behind them as is, but not sure if i would have enough for the XLS8". I also fit the 7" Ca18's perfectly, and i'm sure i could go up to a correct sized 8" driver, but as i know of the 8" driver is really a 9" driver.

How much excursion potential do these 8"'s have, and what type of mounting depth would i be looking at? If i do this i will need to get another Amp for my Tempest, as the sub amp would be used on the midbasses for the 160rmsx2.

Thoughts suggestions?

·
Registered
531 Posts
10+ mm one way....

mine pound dude. :)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Model is 830491 right?

This is so tempting, i want to do it so bad too, why, i dunno, but just having a pair of 8's for midbass sounds so sweet. Imaging would also be quite superior over a 2way, More bass upfront, 8's could keep up with ported tempest much better, Much better imaging with midrange mounted in kicks. Downsides would be, taking door apart again, redeadening interior of door, this time Doing a hell of a job on the door, no 1 layer job this go around, takin off aluminum panel to get inside door, taking off ensolite to redeaden interior, and exterior, then do a sandwithced layer of ensolite with deadener. Recut, and fill door access holes, get a better fit, redeaden over aluminum, reapply ensolite, and then rebuild baffle to 8" cutout.......Then buying another amp, 4 drivers, and the fact that my mom said no more lol.

It would do the same for me, i can't spend anymore money right now on my car, and this would be another 400 or so for another amp unless i could find another 2.400 like i have, 150 for midbasses, 130 for midranges, a new D-block that has 3 4awg outputs instead of 2. But damnit i want some 8's in my doors too. lol i feel so left out :D

But yea i would need to rebuild my baffle out another 3/4" and somehow make my baffle large enough to fit the driver, but using the existing hole, i guess in some kind of increasing baffle. Anyone understand this? Basically using the same size baffle i have now, be it 7" inner dimensions, but cut the inside out at a slope making the top large than the bottom, then add another 3/4" on top of that to make sure that the depth would fit.

I guess then i could use my CA18's in the house....Does that sound smart enough like it would work. Where could i get the 3" Trius for very cheap, and where could i get the XLS 8's for very cheap as well. If i use the CA18's in the house in place of my Vifa P17SJ's then i can sell them towards the costs of the other stuff. Any ideas?

I hate being indecisive, i'm happy with the way the car sounds right now, hell its still got aways to go, and i'm already thinkin of upgrading just because i think i have that ich again......Damn you people...... :D j/k

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
stop being lazy....doooo it
getting them installed is half the reward...

·
Registered
578 Posts
I recently had the pleasure to listen to a friends car with DLS UR1's & UR2.5's in the A-pillars with Morel 10" in the doors from 400-down... those morels were insane...

I was intimidated to say the least... so I had to take the same referrence material & listen to my XLS 8's...

The XLS 8's matched them in mid-bass output with ease (I have mine 170-40) & my XLS had to deal with an entire door panel in front of them while the Morel 10's did not...

I hope that paints a good picture as to the balls the XLS 8 have... ;)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not lazyness thats keeping me from doing it lol, its money and parents lol. Because i definently want to do a 3way, and have some kickass midbass. Only time will tell though i guess. I just hope i can mount those big ass drivers lol.

Though they wouldn't run up to 170, more like 300 or so, as it seems for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts