DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Though I haven't heard either, from what I've read on here the XXLS will mop the floor with the IDQ in just about every regard, but definitely in SQ. SPL is going to be more dependent on the install.

Though, install counts for a ****-ton, so it'll depend on your application, but the general consensus is that the XXLS rawks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the main difference between the xls and the xxls. They cost around the same? I read some specs but it doesn't tell what's the sensitivity atleast the xxls doesn't.

·
Registered
415 Posts
both of those subs are SQ-oriented subs..

output looks about the same - probably not enough to tell the difference..

id try out the XXLS before id buy another IDQ...

^actually, if i needed more subwoofers, the XXLS would be next on my list to get.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been using the IDQ's for a long time and I've got their sound memorized like the back of my hand. I just ordered an XLS10(the car version) from madisound to give it a try. I was going to order the XXLS, but larry said that they are at least 6-8 weeks out becasue peerless is moving it's factory from one location in denmark to another, and it will be at least that long before they are available. He also said that there is a possibility that the posted price will go up by 20% or so due to the costs involved with the move.

He said that they were able to demo the XXLS at CES and that it is nearly identical to the XLS but with a bumped back plate. He recommended that I use the autosound version because it was optimized for much smaller enclosures than the rest of the XLS and XXLS line, and was better suited to situations in car. He also said that with the 300 watts I have on hand, that I would barely be driving the XLS to excursion at 13mm, and the XXLS would be overkill anyways. So the XXLS is definitely a cool woofer, but keep in mind you'll need a bit more power, and it won't sound a whole heck of a lot different. Plus, if you are accustomed to an IDQ's output, the XLS has nearly identical excursion so they probably will be similar in output.

I just plotted the XLS and XXLS autosound 10's and the plot was nearly identical, the XXLS had about 2db's on the XLS from 55 to 30hz. That was the only difference that I saw and probably was the result of the higher excursion.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Not much of a comparison Imho.

XXLS has an aluminum heatsink/pole cap and faraday rings in the motor, open cast alum. basket, venting under the spider, as well as ~18-19mm xmax. The 13mm rating is not the true xmax, but the vc overhang. Xmech is nearly 2.5" peak to peak. It's also been proven and tested, and there's alot of objective data readily available on it.

I bought my first pair of IDQ's years ago, before I ever joined a forum or had any clue what they were. Why? Because they were cheaper than JLw3's and sounded OK :)

Although I think the XXLS is a much better sub, I doubt it'd make a difference in the car besides more output. Buy whatever's cheaper, and more readily availble.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey Cheapboy would you recomment the auto version or the is the normal home one ok. I cant find the autosound XXLS's on the madisound site where else could you get them? Just curious incase this TC2 thing doesnt work out (I hope it does!)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
They're all the same sub, with different t/s parameters. Just choose the one that suits you best. Also, the car comes with a rubber magnet boot and push terminals which is nicer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so peerless subs are not in the league as the IDQ then what are they comparable to. How much power would you feed them. what amp would you recommend dpdang. will a nin.1 be too much for two of these subs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the reason i compared the two is that the idq was $200 a little more expensive than the peerless xxls about $160 so i wanted to know was the idq more expensive because it's a band wagon sub.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unless I read it wrong, it seems as though he likes the XXLS over the IDQ.

As far as pricing, the 12" IDQ is $169.95 shipped at cardomain, it takes 15% off when you add to the cart, and with free shipping.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i did too i must of said it wrong. If it had all those things and the idq didn't i would assume he meant it was a better speaker. and now the prices are about equal because of the 15% discount. So i guess the speakers are both good one better than the other. Now how much power can they take.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.