DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

As you might have seen in my build log, I sold my Renault Clio and bought myself a big comfy Volvo 940 sedan instead.

Problem with big comfy sedans: they are sedans, wich means I cannot put the wall I made (and spend lots of time and money on :rolleyes: ) in it.

I already have my 2 Peerless 12" XXLS subs and 3 Peerless 10" PR's and I will use them, they've cost me too much money to buy something else.

I'm thinking about building a simple enclosure with the subs mounted vertical towards the pass-trough and the pr's horizontal facing the rear-deck with speaker openings (but no speakers) in it, or the other way around.

Now I'm concerned about the cones of the horizontally mounted units sagging. Wich would be best, mounting the subs horizontally or mounting the PR's horizontally? I was thinking the subs, since they have a lower moving mass (155.9 grams versus 400grams on the PR's), but maybe I'm missing something?

greetz,
Isabelle

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'd just sell the PR's myself and run the XXLS sealed, but if you must run PR's do not under any circumstances run them any way but vertical.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the ....44 version of the XXLS's, that version doesn't work in sealed boxes, so vertically mounted PR's and horizontally mounted subs it is :)

greetz,
Isabelle

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
That's silly. You won't get much extension in a large room without a PR. However, I suspect that the sub's natural rolloff in a low-Q enclosure would be a nice match for a car. Such is certainly the case for the 830500 XLS 12, which is also often called a "PR/vented only" woofer.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, long time ago I simulated it, just tried it again and you're right, they do work in a sealed enclosure, but I already have those PR's and the chance of getting them sold here in Belgium is very small, so I'm gonna use them.

Maybe later, I'm gonna move that enclosure to my living room (where the PR's are more usefull) and buy myself a couple of ....45 XXLSes, wich seem to be much better for car use, or maybe something different.

greetz,
Isabelle

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
A rectangle has 4 vertical surfaces...

Why much you mount horizontal?

Also, why do you worry about sag?

I actually run my subs horizontally, but that's because I'm in a hatch and the sound is a touch cleaner not bouncing it off the back hatch. Up just works a little better.

I think you worry a little too much.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a pass trough in the back seat and speaker openings in the rear deck, that's why I want to mount the subs and pr's towards the back seat and the rear deck, to 'push' the bass as directly as possible into the cabin.

Mounting the subs and PR's this way is also a good base for a stealth install.

greetz,
Isabelle

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Isabelle,

First, it's good to see you on here again. I haven't seen you in a while and I hope all is well with you.

Now about your sub box. I would think that MVW has a good point. Why not mount the 12's towards the pass through and the PR's towards the rear of the trunk? That would probably yield the best output, and IIRC subs and PR's work best when mounted either on the same baffle or directly opposite each other in a box. But under NO circumstance would I ever mount a PR in an up or down firing configuration due to issues with sag. DS-21 was spot on there. (As usual)

Cheers,

Zach

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

I'm a bit busy lately, that's why I can't visit this and other forums very much, and when I do have the time, I don't feel like reading 15+ pages of new posts ;)

About the subbox. I understand the PR's need to be placed vertical to prevent sag.
I also understand the subbox itself would give the best output when the PR's and subs are in the same baffle or directly opposite to eachother.
But I think, in the car, the result would be better if the subs play trough the speakeropenings in the rear-deck and the PR's trough the passtrough, instead of the subs playing trough the passtrough and the PR's echo-ing in the trunk...
The size of both speakeropenings together is pretty much the same as the size of the passtrough...

I hope you understand what I mean?

Also, an extra reason why I don't want the PR's or subs mounted in the baffle towards the trunk, I want to make a stealth, but easy to maintain install. I can mount some devices to the back of the enclosure and put a removable protection plate in front of it. If I mount PR's on the back of the enclosure, I'd have to put some devices on top of the enclosure, where I can only reach them after moving the enclosure, and I'd still have to make some protection for those PR's...

greetz,
Isabelle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts