DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a collection of old car stereo mags that I was looking through,(ten plus years old)and found a phoenix gold sub(tornado):confused: that looked like the inside of a washing machine washing machine.The add I read made it sound like it was the next great technology. Anyone used one, or heard anything about it?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think you mean "The Cyclone" ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got an attic full of lo-fidelity subs. But this one I might pick up even if no-one knows anything about it.Local pawn shop has one. You would think if it was as good as they said it was in the add I read it,would have been copied by someone.But It might be worth it to buy,if only to see the look on someones face when they see this sub in my ride.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Sounds like you already know standard subs. Get it, try it out. Post your findings. Should be fun. What the worst that can happen...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Last time the topic came up here someone mentioned that something is prone to wearing out/failing and they need to be refurbished by PG (or possibly get parts and DIY). Either way, either confirm it works, or be prepared to invest in repair.

·
Banned
455 Posts
go read the phorum, they are prone to issues with the magnet.

Bret

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah,I didn't consider brushes. Selling auto parts for a living, I know that the auto manufactures usually stop carrying parts for vehicles after about ten years.I guess I should contact Phoenix to see if they still carry the brushes.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I stand corrected, no brushes!

Prepare to bow to my awesomeness!

Tom Danley said:
Hi

Maybe I can fill in some blanks, being the its inventor and having made the pre-production prototypes for PG, I am familiar with the technology.

The cyclone is a rotary motor and rotary radiator driver (where a normal Servodrive is a rotary motor and piston radiator system. My goal in this invention was to eliminate the problems, losses and non-linearity associated with the edge suspension and spider in a system where a large displacement in a small physical size was needed.

Back in the late 1980’s when I invented this, my job involved making very intense sound, mostly for scientific purposes so the Cyclone is actually the smallest rotary driver I worked on. We had built a number of units that had the displacement of 6, 18” drivers (@1”pp) that were used for active sound cancellation until the Power plant was retired due to an earthquake.

All of the rotary drivers I built had moving magnet motors I designed as well, to produce an “Fs”, a torsion rod is within the center of the shaft and supplies the “restoring force” which gives it the Fs of 10 Hz.
While eliminating all of the flexing / bending parts eliminated those problems, it turned out the torsion spring is also far more linear than spiders etc.
When Tom Nousain reviewed it for a magazine back then, he said it had the lowest distortion of any driver he had ever measured.
This was partly due to the elimination of the brushes which cause low level noise in the servodrive as well as the non linearity’s that normal drivers have.

Like any woofer, the efficiency is set by the T&S parameters and with any application there is a “best” alignment so far as efficiency vs low cutoff.

Why wasn’t this more successful?

At Intersonics, the speakers division was by far second fiddle to the NASA work, when the NASA work died off (a trickle down from the shuttle accident) the company eventually went out of business and the rotary drivers were too labor intensive to pursue in the Surviving speaker div.

PG licensed the technology and got off to a good start. They had good luck molding everything out of plastic and made the Cyclone that way.
Note; do not mold a motor housing out of plastic when the motor has strong Neo magnets inside. Unfortunately, over time, too many of the Cyclone began to rub internally.
While one could usually re-adjust the tension bolts to fix it, it was a rubber glove to fix a leaking pen.

I may resurrect the technology now that I am on my own but there are several other “full range” and “bass horn” things I have to focus on for the time being.
Hope that helps,

Tom Danley
A fan-effing-tastic read! http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-55122.html

Tom's a stand-up guy and one sharp dude. He makes some kickass products that I have had the pleasure of using on many occasions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the last post.Might be the next best thing in a few years. Back in 89-90 ,I purchased a cd player ,it was an audia.Sister company to clarion,I think it was their Hi-end line.To listen to a cd you had to put the cd into a cartridge(looked like a jewel case)This was nice,not having to touch the cd,or worry about scratching it.I had alot of extra cartridges. As time went by, I was having problem with many of the discs skipping.After taking them out of the cartridge I noticed the discs were getting wear groves.My buddy had the blaupunkt version of this technology(same problem).Probably too late to be the next best thing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only issue with the Cyclone is the magnet itself. It was not properly sealed, so it oxidizes and you end up with a bunch of magnetic filings clogging it up. Even brand new Cyclones have this problem, just from sitting in storage. Thankfully it's possible to DIY repair, and you can ensure it doesn't happen again by coating the magnet. Nico, a helpful member on the phorum, documented the whole repair process:
Phoenix Gold Phorum // View topic - Servicing a Cyclone

They are fantastic at sub-bass... 20Hz-50Hz there's nothing like them. They are ridiculously efficient, and only require AT MOST 300w at 8 ohms. But there is literally no output above 60Hz, so a 24dB/oct crossover at 50Hz is necessary. You absolutely must have good mid-bass up front for this woofer to blend. The only other downside is motor noise, but that is usually not an noticeable unless you've got a small hatchback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only issue with the Cyclone is the magnet itself. It was not properly sealed, so it oxidizes and you end up with a bunch of magnetic filings clogging it up. Even brand new Cyclones have this problem, just from sitting in storage. Thankfully it's possible to DIY repair, and you can ensure it doesn't happen again by coating the magnet. Nico, a helpful member on the phorum, documented the whole repair process:
Phoenix Gold Phorum // View topic - Servicing a Cyclone

They are fantastic at sub-bass... 20Hz-50Hz there's nothing like them. They are ridiculously efficient, and only require AT MOST 300w at 8 ohms. But there is literally no output above 60Hz, so a 24dB/oct crossover at 50Hz is necessary. You absolutely must have good mid-bass up front for this woofer to blend. The only other downside is motor noise, but that is usually not an noticeable unless you've got a small hatchback.
I love my cyclones! Great writeup by Nico on how to clean a cyclone. I used his writeup myself...and it worked great!
Will have to clean my second cyclone soon too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts