DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an opportunity to get them for a very good price and while i like my xtants i want more power. not ness on the subs but on the mids/tweets. i like the fact that the 4 channel does 200watts + per channel, now thats what im looking for some big power. almost double that of the xtants. really want some solid opinions on them here. someone i know has the 200.4 and the 1200.1 they are both in the box new and they owe me some money so i can get them for nothing right now. and what they owe me is far less than what they are offering me, they just dont want them since he is basically not doing anything to his new lease except maybe change the hu out. thanks for any info i can get here.
or am i nuts for thinking about replacing the xtants with xenons??? thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
I do not have experience with any PG equipment excent the old Titanium line which I thought performed well.

But if these amps are worth more than he owes you take them and sell them. You can test them first if you would like!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no he owes me more but he just had a baby so im trying to be a little understanding.... i can dell them but what they sell for on ebay new i would get about 1/2 of what he owes me. because he bought them locally he thinks they are worth more than they are....... i figured with what they say for power 200x4 rms a 4ohms for the 4 channel i would use it, i would love to have all that power on tap.....i just keep seeing so many mixed feeling about them. and i know xtant's pre-mtx ones are awsome sounding....

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Xenons are really good amps. First batches had some trouble with realability issues, especially the X1200.1 and the X200.4. The fix is pretty simple, and is done on all newer amps. I suggest you get the serial numbers and check with PG directly to see the status of the gear.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man i get so amny mixed opinions on the xenons i think i may stay away from them.... still not sure though. i still dont think they will be as good as the like of dls zapco arc xtant etc.... id love some more feedback

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've seen nothing but positive reviews on them.......but they seem much cheaper than previous upper line PG amps, I'm not sure what changed about them, but in the mag reviews, they meet all the manufacturer specs and put out above rated power........

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can tell you this, with all of that power I think you will have a nice system at your disposal. By allowing yourself all of that headroom you will barely be scratching the surface of the capable output power of these amplifiers.

You should get a very clean amplifier output signal and thus a very clean sounding speaker. How hard is it to plug-in and play? : )

Ask him to test one!

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
I have not had any experience with the Xenon line, but being an owner of an XS, Tantrum, and Titanium, and now switching to Diamond D7's. The Phoenix Golds sound pretty harsh and fatiguing to my ears.

It's always best to audition sound equipment and compare with other stuff before you buy.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhh maybe that is info i need to hear. i dont like fatiuging amps i like smoother warmer amps. i love the sound of tubes myself but was always to cautious to try em in the car....

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
zfactor said:
ahhh maybe that is info i need to hear. i dont like fatiuging amps i like smoother warmer amps. i love the sound of tubes myself but was always to cautious to try em in the car....
ignorance is bliss in the audio world. if you've never heard anything better, then your all set in your own little world. but once you got a taste of the fruit, you go out in a limb to get that sound.

That's what happened with to me with Phoenix Gold to Diamond D7's, now looking at Audisons....

At the price range of the PG's, they are pretty good amps, just fatiguing and not very musical to my now more trained ear. I would go with diamond D5's over PG's anyday.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It´s all about matching. If you have poor (sorry harsh) speakers a (IMO) neutral amp like the PG´s will sound harsh, if you have good speakers (I.e Scanspeak, Dynaudio or even DLS) they will sound just right.

If you are looking for a warm biased amp I like Celestra RA & Genesis AMP lines.

What made the Xenon line so much cheaper?
1. Production moved overseas (Korea)
2. Poor control over internet sales. (which has caused PG to end production of the Xenons as of last week, and take actions to tighten the internet side up.)

If you compare the internals of an Xenon vs a Titanium amp, the Xenon is the better built one...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would try using them only thing i see is they seem to still be having problems. over on the sound domain forums and car stereo forums seems people are still seeing them going bad pretty quickly.. not sure

·
Registered
880 Posts
As I said, no control over the internet sales...

PG is one of the brands we distribute here in Sweden, two (2) of the first batch of amps we got have gone, that´s all. As I am one of the owners I can pretty much pick what I want, and in the dayly driver, there sits a couple of Xenons right now...

·
Registered
757 Posts
so how to the PG's compare to the lower line celestra? Sound wise and price wise? Are they worth it in your opinion?

I'm interested in knowing how the lower lines of audiophile brands like celestra compare to upperline "street" amps like PG....

·
Registered
880 Posts
Celestra entry line RA is my favorite amp at the moment, pricing here is quite close to Xenons (we control the sales a bit tighter then Pg does in the US :). It is quite a different amp soundwise then the Xenons.

The RA has a warmer overall timbre, with a wider soundstage. I´d say the Xenon reproduces things slightly more accurate, but the RA´s really makes me thump my foot :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts