DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped by the other day to see Ant, and while I was there, I managed to snag some b-stock AlphaDamp. This is true AlphaDamp, it's just the stuff from the beginning of the run where the butyl adhesive isn't a uniform thickness. So I picked out some of the thicker sheets (pretty close to actual run thickness, maybe 10% thinner).

I decided that I finally needed to do my floor, and some panels while I was at it. Well I dropped 4 tiles on my floor (2dr short wheelbase, so fairly solid to begin with).

Before:

After:

Then since I had pulled my whole interior, I put 4 more tiles (2 on each side) on the rear exterior panels cause they had some pretty serious resonance and flex to em.

Since I was tearing things apart, I decided to replace the trunk release solenoid since mine went bad a while back, and well, then I got the great idea to redo my trunk lid, cause the edead that was on there just wasn't cutting it since my last substage upgrade. So I tossed some AlphaDamp on the exterior skin, and busted out my stash of SPL Sludge and gave the whole lid a nice healthy coating of it :D Still need to do the vertical part of the exterior skin, but it resonates so ridiculously that I'm gonna grab some foam tomorrow and go to town lol...plus I can't get my hand in there enough to probably even get one full sheet on.

AAAAND since I was already tearing things apart, I'm running all new rca's and speaker wire from the amps tomorrow, so now my dash is torn apart too. This is my dash trim bezel that I'm also replacing...AZ sun + gm plastic + bass rattle and flex = plastic fail. This is how it came out of the car, I didn't break it lol:

The rest of the plans include the top part of the dash getting deadened, along with the rear interior panels, cause both vibrate quite badly. Since I have to pull my door panels off for the new speaker wire, the doors are getting the old edead torn off and some AlphaDamp on there, too.

The plastic door panels themselves will get deadening treatment too, but that's going on the spare set that I have in the garage...waiting for new speakers to arrive first, then glassing the panels, wrapping them and deadening them.

So that's it so far. Will update again tomorrow and Monday since I probably won't finish all this til then lol. Heading to the junkyard tomorrow to get some other odds and ends that need replaced in my car too, so whatever I find that I need will be going in during this time too.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got some more done today...spent a good part of the day running around picking up random things I didn't think about til the last second lol.

Got the trunk lid foamed:

Then I trimmed and covered the exposed foam with SPL Sludge so the whole trunk lid looks like one solid piece now :) The only visible spots I didn't cover were in the holes for the taillights. Didn't get pics of it yet, but I will tomorrow when I reinstall it. Also I tore apart my trunk solenoid...pretty easy to do actually. Removed the emergency release handle (since no one can fit in my trunk) and also pulled the manual (key) cable that would normally go to the lock, but since my trunk is shaved it just flops around:

Also ran the rcas and new speaker wire...3 pairs of rcas down the driver's side, 4 pairs of speaker wire down the passenger's side (getting ready for 3-way active soon). The 2 pieces of wire loom running to the rear are the ones. Each run perfectly fit inside 1/2" loom with no room to spare:

Also got the rear interior panels done...2 sheets per panel...MUCH stiffer! You could see them flex at least 1/4" before, and the foam in the pic would rattle against the sheet metal...really annoying. This should help a lot...might have to add a bit of closed cell foam, but I doubt it. The foam sitting in the window cutout goes over the AlphaDamp and is held on by clips on the pins in the middle of the tiles.

Got the two removable dash pieces deadened today, also, but forgot to grab pics before I reinstalled my dash. Used only one tile between the two pieces cause there's not a whole lot of room to place it, and the pieces aren't really that big.

Lost my window crank handle removal tool somewhere and couldn't get the window handles to pop off my door, so I'm picking up a new tool tomorrow so I can pull the doors, get them re-deadened and get the new speaker wire ran the rest of the way.

Found out a buddy of mine has either some Luxury Liner or Overkill in his storage unit, too that he didn't use, so the carpet is going to stay out til I can pick it up this week and get that laid down, since everything is already apart. Should give me a good chance to see how much the AlphaDamp affected the floor, though! Depending on how much he has, I'd like to get the floor, under the rear seat and the rear wheel wells done with it.

Will have more updates tomorrow night after I get the doors all done and make it driveable again (just need to put in the seatbelt and driver's seat...8 bolts).

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good stuff here. I wanna work on my trunk lid soon as well. When you unbolt it from the hinges, how heavy is the damn thing? Did you unbolt it with the lid raised, or closed? How well does it line back up when you rebolt it?

How did the foaming go? No distortion of the outer skin? Seems to be dry everywhere? What kind of foam? Did it realy help? In what way?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's decently nice outside nowdays, and I'm getting antsy to take advantage of the good weather.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rofl...no worries man. My lid is about 10lbs maybe?? It's not that heavy. I unbolted it with it upright...with mine if you're careful you leave 2 of the bolts just barely in until you're ready to pick it up and the just lift a little, pull the bolt, repeat, and voila! For lining it back up, if you look, the paint is worn away where the washers were...makes it really easy to line back up :)

The foam I used was Great Stuff Window and Door for the thinner part (the darker yellow color) and normal Great Stuff for the thicker sections (lighter yellow color). I have no distortion, but I sprayed in sections, timed about 20 mins apart so I could see what the foam was going to do for the most part...in each section I removed the tape over one large opening, and sprayed in a manner that forced the foam to expand in that direction, that way any excess would come out rather than buckle the lid.

The lid is absolutely DEAD now lol. Practically no vibrations get through at all, and there's no way in hell that it's ever going to flex again.

Off to the store to start the holiday right...working on my car some more :D (and food, I forgot to eat yesterday and now I'm starving lol)

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, got the doors done today...2.5 tiles per door outer skin. Also cut up my panels to allow the speakers more clearance and put the grills on. Didn't take any pics of the doors cause there really isn't much to see and I forgot lol. I put some Damp Pro on the speaker spacers since they will be visible through the stock grill, though.

Besides that, I got everything else ran and ready to go...still have some serious vibes in the passenger door area, but I haven't identified where they're coming from yet. There some massive vibrations coming from outside the car too, but dealing with those is another day.

Door skin still flexes a decent amount...so I'm considering putting the SPL Sludge in there, and maybe another tile of AlphaDamp, too. I spent a good ten minutes in an empty parking lot just trying to figure out where all the rattles are still coming from. I'm thinking the passenger door noise may be from it leaking air through the bottom of the door, cause I can feel air being pushed out there. Idk, gonna need to sleep and think about it some more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to see another j-body guy here! So how much foam do you estimate you used to fill up the trunk lid?
I might be doing mine sometime this week. :)

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I picked up some foam yesterday lol...looks to be a roll of Overkill Pro, a couple rolls of Overkill, and some other unidentified foam (the grey rolls).

The grey is denser than the OK or OK Pro, so I'm going to layer OK Pro and the grey stuff with the grey on top. Should be awesome!

I've still got 7 tiles left, so I'm deciding where to put those now lol. On a sidenote though, even with all the retarded deadening on the trunk lid, it STILL flexes a good 3/16-1/4" at the bottom center of the lid lol. No more rattling though, just straight flex, so still a massive improvement.

For the random rattle on the passenger door area, I believe I have actually isolated it, and I think it's actually my exhaust rattling against the bottom of the car or the hangar rattling since there is one just below the passenger seat. Not completely sure though, have to investigate more still.

As far as reviewing so far...the AD has made an absolute WORLD of difference in reducing flex and rattle. I am thoroughly impressed to say the least. After using SPL Sludge and the previous SPL Tiles I was skeptical of how much better it could be, but WOW! The bass and mids are a LOT cleaner so far. Very impressed, and totally loving this stuff lol.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to see another j-body guy here! So how much foam do you estimate you used to fill up the trunk lid?
I might be doing mine sometime this week. :)
Just so you know...mine kept expanding some after that pic. So if you're going to do it, be prepared to let the trunk lid sit for about 48hours before you trim the excess, otherwise when you trim it'll just expand some more lol. Also, the window and trim one (blue can) is considerably easier to work with if it's ur first time or ur nervous about overexpansion.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update for today:

Got the foam on the floor and under the rear seat done, and got my carpet back in! So nice to have it back lol.

I took the 3/8" foam and used it as the base, with the grey foam glued on top of that. I cut the black foam to allow wires to pass underneath without smashing them like this:

Did this everywhere wires were run except under the seats since there's a ton of clearance there.

Passenger's floorboard:

Passenger's side under the seat and rear floorboard:

Driver's floorboard:

Driver's side under the seat and rear floorboard:

Rear seat area:

This is the stock sound deadening foam and mlv that was in the kick/front floorboard area (the angled part) in the passenger and driver side lol...foam is super cheap!

So far the road noise has quieted considerably, along with any noise from my exhaust rattling though I can still hear it with my window down (which is basically always lol), so I gotta work on that later. Looking to do the rear quarter panels/wheel wells in the cab and the doors, but I want to make sure I'm satisfied with the amount of mat on there before I put this stuff on. I'm gonna use the 1/8" foam in those areas for clearance reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts