DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself in the market for a new vehicle. I am wanting a fairly large, v6 coupe, and have narrowed it down to the Accord Coupe v6, the Mustang Coupe V6, the Nissan Altima Coupe V6, or the Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these models? I know the Mustang is a PITA to swap out the head unit, and since the Sync system actually seems kinda nice, I would probably end up just adding a processor, amps and speakers, and use the stock HU. I'm not against ripping it all out to get it right, but it has to be worth the effort. I'd LOVE to use Pandora in my car, like I can do now with my Alpine iDA-x305s, and I know the Sync can do that. Other stock decks would require me to just use the standard aux in and control pandora from the phone (not ideal, not safe, and it's ticket bait in california to be looking at a phone while driving) so I'd only consider staying with a stock radio if it supports pandora control. Otherwise, I'd rip it out and put in an aftermarket head unit.

As for the rest of the system, I am wanting to do a 3 way front, with 6.5" or so midbass in the doors, and 3" mids in the sail panels, or the A Pillars, along with some tweeters as close as possible to the mids. Sub is easier, so I won't even worry about that right now, i can just move my current behemoth 4.5 cube box with a old adire tempest to tide me over.

Any recommendations? Cars to avoid? cars that are easy to work on? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hyundai parts are more scarce than the other brands you mentioned.

Honda resale value will be the highest of all you mentioned.

Mustang will be the most fun to drive, Ford has also come a long way so cabin noise will probably be very low (which is what you need).

Altima has the best engine of the 4 IMO, the VQ has tons of power on tap, and gets respectable gas mileage. They are however not great at resale values, and build quality IMO is lower than Honda and the Stang (Ford again has come a long way).

·
Registered
271 Posts
i frequently tend to find myself wondering what car I could get to use cool stuff on it. kind of the reverse of normal people who buy a car then find out what is available for it..... I think the hyundai has come a long way from its roots as a cheap throw away car. and getting a v6 mustang would be like taking a playboy bunny to a school play.....could be fun but not as fun as a hot tub!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i'm leaning towards the honda. I have a 98 accord coupe now 240,000 miles and still going strong, so it will feel like "home" and i have experienced first hand the reliability and resale value of hondas (this is my second accord)

The only thing I don't like about the accord, is that the aftermarket head unit adapter plates look ugly, and the stock radio doesn't do Pandora. But it would be a fairly straight-forward upgrade to put in a new deck. I'd just hate to lose the steering wheel controls. I haven't had luck with 3rd party adapters, but if they could be made to work on an aftermarket deck, that would be a plus...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd go for the Genesis. They are very luxurious inside if you opt for the heated leather seats. I know sat/nav is an option as well.

I really think Honda's quality control has gone downhill. My first car was an '87 Accord and it was an amazing car. Then I had an '89 Accord, a '92 Prelude, and then an '03 Civic. My sister has owned '97 and '01 Civics. My parents currently have a '00 Accord and an '04 MDX. The one thing I've noticed is how much more frequently these newer offerings have needed repair than the older ones.

Not to mention how bad Honda's current styling is....yuck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I can't say from an install point which vehicle would be better, but quality, resale, and over all feel I would pick the hyundai genesis hands down. I've driven many newer v6 mustangs and I am not a fan of the chassis feal of the car. The Altima coupe good all around, nothing to fault it, but nothing that makes it stand out either, imo. My roomate has a '10 v6 accord and I really dislike the interior build quality. With just 12k miles on the car it is already showing serious wear, plus the steering is really numb feeling which always bothers me. I've not driven a genesis coupe, only sedan, but between that and driving the new sonata turbo, I think the chassis is very good, interior quality pretty high, and overall look quite good as well. Honestly, I like the turbo motor more than enough to opt for it over the v6 on the genesis as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know what "chassis feel of the car" means....but what was the latest year of mustang you drove? Granted the previous gen mustangs sucked, I know I drove one for 7 years, by the latest mustangs, suck they don't...

I've had a 2011 5.0, and find it to be as good, or better handling than the 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T I traded in for it. It had the sport suspension, and pref + package - so that Audi was no piece of ^&%$. There are also direct comparisons between the new GT's and the BMW M3, and while the GT does come up slightly short of the Bmer, I think that is pretty damn good considering the GT is half the price...the mustang has come a long way.

Re: the v6, that was the model I oriiginally drove, and ordered. A deal on the 5.0 came up, and couldn't be passed up., so I now have the 5.0. Yeh I'm a happy camper these days....

In the 11 months I've had the Mustang, I've installed Clarus 6.5's, a JL 10w6 and some alpine r's for rear fill. Tomorrrow, I'm installing a zapco DC 1000.4 and a Cache CEO6 (same as an AC LC6i)to equalize the OEM HU. These will replace the ReQ and alpine MRPM500 amp currently in the car. . The only sound deadening I've put in was in sealing the doors and door panels. The car is very quiet straight from the factory, and I'm holding off doing any other deadening to see it if I really need it. The susytem as is sounds great, excellent acoustics in the car. Without the amp/CEO6, I am miising some of the audible scale, but it is minor. I'm just adding the amp/CEO6 to see if it will truly make that much of a difference

Interior quality of Mustangs have always been less than desirable, but with the 2010 + models the quality has improved immensely. It's not Audi quality, but it is greatly improved just the same. Where Audi is a 10, the mustang is a 7.8-8.0. And the seats are just the way I like em.

Finally, I'm a bit of a gear head and enjoy the rumble of the V8, but you should know that the car is generally quiet unless you get on it. And the power...., a very cool ride can be had with even "just" the 6 cylinder - it is a lot of fun to drive, and adding a great sound system augments the pleasure. The 6 cyl is supposed to be "that" much more lighter handling and agile than the eight, hence the reason i was looking at the 6 banger first. I don't think you can say that the other cars are a treat to drive, except the hyundai.

Point being, give the new mustang a fair shot, take it for a ride. and 6 speed manual is more fun than an auto, anyday.... Get one with the shaker 500, piece of crap system, but it gives you the ability to replace the oem 8" subs nicely located in the door panels, something I'm thinking of doing later to bring the bass up front. Alot of possibilties out there for this car.

Good luck with whatever you decide on

·
Registered
615 Posts
Altima has NO trunk whatsoever. Also needs premium gas (10 years ago, nobody would have cared about paying .20 to .40 extra for gas, but those times are long gone).

The Accord coupe has a cavernous trunk, and I don't know if the wedge shape has anything to do with it or just the volume, but my same sub on the same amp has a greater bass response in the Accord than it did in the Mazda hatchback.

Right now, I have factory HU (keeping, since it has nav and all that integrated ****... even though it looks like a starship cockpit, you get used to it), factory front speakers powered by a PDX-F4, and a 12w6 in the "divot" area of the hatch. Factory "premium audio" speakers sound pretty good (great response, but metal tweeters are too bright) off the PDX amp. Whenever I have the time/money to deaden my doors, I'll be putting the Massive CK6's back in, but until then I'm happy with the factory mids.

I have 2 passengers often, and up to 4 at times, so the better back seat room of the Accord was another thing for me. I'd have looked at the Mustang if it could have suited my household better (though I doubt my insurance would still be $73 a month). ;)

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2019 For Expedition Limited Stealth, 2018 Subaru Impeza
251 Posts
Search for JayinMI's Hyundai Genesis build thread.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What about the Camaro? Also, isn't Ford changing out the Mustang live axle for a fully independent rear setup next year? I would wait for that one if you decide to go with a Mustang.

I think the Accord coupe would be the smart buy though, even though IMO Honda interiors are god awful these days. In the late 90's and early 2000s they were understated, clean, and highly functional. Now they have a center dash with a button for everything and it looks horrible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Altima has NO trunk whatsoever. Also needs premium gas (10 years ago, nobody would have cared about paying .20 to .40 extra for gas, but those times are long gone).
The 20 to 40 cents doesn't seem to hurt as bad to me when gas is already almost $4.00 a gallon.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Mustang
-more power on regular fuel
-more fun
-more pretty
-more rear wheel drive
-more *****
-more fast
-more cool

Synch is actually not to bad.I thought I would hate using it to navigate songs..but if I can remember the title or the albumn\artist I want to listen to, it's so much faster to simply say "play song Fixxer" or "play artist metallica" then to navigate to it. It's really sweet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
just go for accord v6 you will never regret it, its the best all rounder car out of your options..

afaik, the car has lots of engine refinement + low cabin noise and good gas mileage and to add icing to the cake great resale value and easy availability of parts..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think i'm pretty much sold on the accord. Thanks kvndoom for linking that article, it really helped sway my decision. Now i just have to decide on going with factory nav and just amps/speakers, or get one without nav and put in an aftermarket double din. I dislike the look of the adapter plate that goes where the factory radio goes, so I think i'll go with factory nav, and some amps/speakers, then get a processor, like a BitOne or similar.

Thanks for all the advice :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts