DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That's pretty damn cool.

Mine is custom on the INSIDE... everything's been gutted and I have a 4kW amp and 5F capacitor in there... but it looks stock from the outside. :D

FTW!

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Heres the one I had in my Avalanche. Held 4 Eminence Delta 10s, 4 Selenium ST350 tweeters, and a Clarion EQ.

It matched up great with the doors I had. Those held 3 Delta 10s and a ST350 each as well. Heres a video showing it all.

Chuck's Avalanche Tone Def blowthru,clean mids and highs - YouTube
OMG!
Great work!
Love the vinyl!
I almost missed those huge door buildouts.....wow!

How did it sound?
Having the tweets inboard, wouldn't that cause imaging issues?

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
111 Posts
The fiberglass work was not done by me, but of Jon at Epicenter Designs in Bradenton, Florida. I did all the other install/building though. I can do whatever, but when it comes to fiberglassing at that level, I just dont have the skills.

Doors didnt actually stick out any further than the stock door panels did. Ended up having to cut the inner door skin out because the 10s were about 4.5" deep and the tweets were a solid 3.5-4" deep as well.

Sounded great. I ran it all active off a Pioneer 880. The 10s could drop real low, down to about 25hz with good output at a lower volume. For regular (see: loud) listening, I crossed the 10s over at around 125hz with a 24db/oct slope. I set the LPF for 4khz with a 12db/oct slope, since they naturally rolled off there anyway. The tweets were high passed at 3.15khz with a 24db/oct slope, and ran all the way up. I had a Lanzar Opti 700x2 (does 700x2 @ 4ohm and 950x2 @ 2ohm), running them. Ended up to be right around 1ohm per channel, so most likely over 2,000rms running the 10s. As for the 6 tweets, I had them on the front half of a Massive NX 4, so they werent seeing a ton of power.

The imaging was messed up with the 2 10" mids in the console that were firing up, so after a while I ditched them and just ran 8. With those 10s playing it sounded like all the sound was coming from the area near the tweeter in the door on the opposite side of the car. Once I dropped those 2 10s and just ran the 6 in the doors and the 2 in the console, it sounded great. Im by no means a SQ guy, but I had a ton of compliments on how clean it sounded when I played the right type of music to show it off. And, it was really loud. As for midbass, with the meter on the floor of the truck near the pedals, it would register around a 143.x @ 66hz on the Termlab with no subs in the truck at all. On the dash, it would do in the low 132.x range, again at 66hz. So all together, with the mids and tweets, I was probably seeing around 2300-2400w.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lets start a thread of custom consoles. If you have any pics of a console post it up. The best one I have ever seen is this one.
Were did you find this??? Im pretty sure this is the expedition that my buddy built at there shop in NH. IF so seen it in person and its insane looking. I did a F350 years ago with 4 12w6's down the center console. Here is a picture.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Were did you find this??? Im pretty sure this is the expedition that my buddy built at there shop in NH. IF so seen it in person and its insane looking. I did a F350 years ago with 4 12w6's down the center console. Here is a picture.

subscribed

any details on the console you posted 2much?

That console was found on focals website.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dug out some pics of my build in my old truck...2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab...

Rear seat "WAS" a 40/60 split, I cut the 60 portion down to a 40 equal to the other side and welded in a new frame, cut the seat foam, and reupholstered. Left me a nice little spot for a center console. Their was also a lot of others things involved such as cutting the factory floor basket, but this isnt a build thread so I wont get into all of that. Here are some pics tho!!!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts