DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the latest pics of my carputer setup....the dash and trunk...

I'm thinking about repainting the center console...just not perfect. I nicked the paint fitting the machine acrylic cover as well.
But you'll note the pair of USB ports where the ashtray use to live, as well as the engine start/stop button, which is now fully functional...

You'll notice the rectangular 'grooves'...these wil be used for illumination (blue LED of course) in the near future.
The two dots are status LED's for the push-button start...orange when the start sequence has started, and a green LED for when it's started and ready to drive.

And of course, below the screen, the pair of VU meters and the Powermate volume/control knob...

(Ignore the finger prints!)

Here it is booting up...

And loaded (Centrafuse 2 frontend)...I'm using Phidgets USB sensors to monitor inside and outside temps, outside humidity as well as current flow to the PC and battery voltage...
The center portion also displays my tire pressure and temperatures, nav data, among other things...

The trunk, I made the finishing cuts on it yesterday...
I was hoping the LED lighting would permeate thru the machined acrylic better, but I'll add two more strips to the front side of it to even the lighting better...
There are also 2 CCFL tubes in the main 'window', which aren't well illuminated with the lighting/camera...
The two exhaust fans also run with blue LED's...

Right now, it's the raw MDF. I'm going to chamfer the cutouts and cover it in carbon-look black vinyl...

The 'window' to the PC has a framed piece that's covered in speaker grill cloth that can optionally be used to keep it hidden...

Here are some night shots...again, the blue is a little 'washed' out because of the camera exposure...

·
Registered
58 Posts
What vehicle is that? I assume Ford...

And push button start :D

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
very nice....any chance for an equipment list?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sweet. I want to build a carputer myself, but I want to find economical places in Toronto to find the parts. You're in Canada, where did you or would you shop for the stuff?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Real Nice !!!!!!!, One problem thought what about frezzing ?? I thought the water colling liquid was cabple of frezzing ?

Whats the specs ?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet. I want to build a carputer myself, but I want to find economical places in Toronto to find the parts. You're in Canada, where did you or would you shop for the stuff?
I've had good luck with DirectCanada and NCIX...and of course, Ebay.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Real Nice !!!!!!!, One problem thought what about frezzing ?? I thought the water colling liquid was cabple of frezzing ?

Whats the specs ?
I'm running 50/50 coolant water in it, and I pull it during the winter...

It's a X2 AMD 2.2Ghz, 1GB RAM, dual Asus Xonar sound cards and 500GB HDD...

Maybe I'll do a write-up with build pics this week...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Build List:

VenHaus speaker wire for tweeters and drivers...

Made from CAT5...LOTS of CAT5

The amplifiers...TRU T4.65's

The components...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sound cards...

Some software...

Beginning the trunk fab...

The sub and modified OE enclosure...

Old board setup...

I did away with the north bridge cooling and the AGP video card.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MDF/plexi enclosure...

Machined acrylic top...

Birch wood amp rack...

Home made interconnects and RCA's...

Roughed in touch screen display...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Speakers mounted in the back...

...and the front

Machined acrylic amp surround...

Dash opening (USB hub and PSU for hub and monitor...

Distribution block/vreg's

Coolant!

Push button starter...

Modified TPMS board...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interface for 'catching' button actions from the OE steering wheel audio controls...

That's about it really!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice work man! Is that a huge ass volume knob below the screen?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey I see that you're using Rubberfilter for your crossover and I've been trying to find some info on that program. Two questions:

1. Is it an FIR filter?
2. Have you tried the 384 db/octave setting and if so, does it make it sound weird? (I've heard there may be an audible noise right at the crossover point with that steep of a crossover.)

Thanks for you help. Your setup looks great by the way.

Edit: I had one more I forgot: What power supply are you using to run all of that gear?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks...
Yeah, that's a Griffen Powermate...a programable USB wheel. Gotta love how it's like a replica hi-fi stereo knob...
Dude that knob is awesome! Where can you find it online?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts