DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for a bit and finally getting around to piecing the system together.
I've been out of the audio scene for 15+ years, my old setup was Hafler Tweeters,
5 1/4 Punch, Kicker C-10's, Rockford Fosgate OEQ-1, and powered by lanzar and hifonics.

I've been itching to build a system. I'm hoping to build something clean and loud.

Project car is VW GTI 08.

Rainbow SLC 365.25 (50watts min, 150watts peak)
25mm Silk Tweeter
4" Midrange
6.5" Woofer

Sub
JL Audio Stealthbox 10w6v2 - 150-600 watts RMS (1,200 watts peak power)

Amps
Always wanted Zapco after hearing friend's and many demo vehicles 15+ years ago.

Zapco REF200.2 (runs tweeters)
Stereo, 4 ohms: 2 x 50 Watts

Zapco REF360.4 (runs mid/mid-bass)
Stereo, 2 ohms: 4 x 90 Watts

Zapco REF500.1 (Still need to buy this one for sub)
Stereo, 2 ohms: 1 x 500 Watts

A couple of questions

Do you think I can squeeze the 6 speakers into the REF360.4? I'm guessing it would be underpowered if I run it in 3 speakers in each channel in series. If I ran it in parallel, I drop the load to an unstable 1 ohm.

I thought about ditching the REF200.2 for a REF350.2 to run the 6.5" at Stereo, 4 ohms: 2 x 100 Watts. Then putting the tweeters and mids on REF360.4 at Stereo, 2 ohms: 4 x 90 Watts. What do you think?

My car's alternator cranks out about 140amps. If my amps have a max amp draw of 120amps, will I need a bigger battery/upgraded alternator? I don't want my battery to die after 10-15 mins of listening while car is parked.

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.

·
2,103 Posts
Are you going to me running in factory locations?? The 4" mid is a little too deep for the factory location and pushes the card away from the door. not a HUGE issue, but just something to keep an eye on.

Also...you don't have to run full active. the SLC Mid/Tweet passive crossover is very impressive with tons of tuning adjustments, and ALSO bi-amp capable for the long run. Mid/Tweet Passive (Fronts), Midbass Active (Rears), sub lowpassed (mono block), and bingo. REF360.4 + REF500.1 and job done. The last GLI I did with the SLC 365.25 I knocked the tweeters down 2 settings, and kicked the mid to the low position, and it sounded great off of a 2 channel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going with factory locations.

I heard I have to glue the 25mm to factory pillars since stock tweeters are 22mm. As for the 4", I hear I'll have to use a mdf ring.

For the 360.4 configuration, are you saying 1 channel
will be highs/mids, other channel runs mid-bass? Does
the 6.5" run through the cross or do I run it through the amp
and make cutoffs?

I have a diagram

i.imgur.com/aLQOu.jpg

Thanks for advice

·
2,103 Posts
Diagram looks right to me. The cool thing about that Rainbow SLC 3-Ways is there are actually two seperate passive crossovers, one for the Mid/Tweet combo, and another for the midbass alone. You are correct when you say you are going to have to use mounting brackets for the midbass and midrange, but my comment about the midrange is in regards to depth, not mounting tabs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diagram looks right to me. The cool thing about that Rainbow SLC 3-Ways is there are actually two seperate passive crossovers, one for the Mid/Tweet combo, and another for the midbass alone. You are correct when you say you are going to have to use mounting brackets for the midbass and midrange, but my comment about the midrange is in regards to depth, not mounting tabs.
Thanks again for the info. I'll probably do the install in the next month or so and will update the progress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts