DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Pillar Pods

57K views 273 replies 75 participants last post by  disconnected 
#1 · (Edited)
This guy makes killer custom aluminum pods. Tweeters, Midrange....I ordered mine custom and he had them to me in 10 days. Very top quality work. I highly recommend this guy!

nemez111 | eBay

#34 ·
I also got a quick response from him with info and price. I just wonder if vibrations will be an issue with them attached on an arm like that, especially on these North Alabama roads.

#45 ·
Hmm.... these do like kind of interesting. I wonder what the 'leather versions' look like as I could not see any pics in the link provided. Maybe I didn't scroll down far enough tho. I am also quite concerned about airspace on these for a midrange. Personally, I'd like my midrange to be able to be flat to 300 Hz (250 even better). With no airspace that number could rise to almost 1 kHz with a steep rise on the low end if it is indeed being choked off for airspace. I can't tell how big the back end is on those pods tho so maybe they are larger than they look. He might even be able to make them deeper on request too to accomodate for airspace? Hmmm, more to think about. Also, are these on a swivel or something to allow for aiming the drivers as needed? In my specific application the drivers could very likely be pointed down toward the dash which would most certainly not be ideal.:rolleyes: I might just have to drop him a line when I recoup some funds for something like this.

#50 ·
I wonder if this guy can make an elongated sphere so to gain the airspace required for the midrange. In my vehicle that would be abut perfect. An elongated sphere that I can attach to the base of my apillar and then glass it all right into the pillar panel so that it looks like it is oem. This would give a fully sealed rock solid enclosure that has absolutely no vibrations; at least in theory. When I get some cash for something like that again, if this guy is still advertising I will probably hit him up. Curious if anyone else has asked him for something like this. I also really like his 'metal baffles'. I would love a few of these if nothing else too. They could be very advantageous. No more messed up baffles due to installing/removing drivers over and over. I also wonder if he would sell these on their own too.

#52 ·
There was apparently a postal worker strike in Germany that slowed things down a bit. I just received my order today. Ordered 8/3. They look great. Though I bought them with the intention of mounting HAT L1’s and can’t yet figure how to mount them into the PODs. I can only figure having to drill/tap set screws through the side to hold the tweeter in place.

#53 ·
Was thinking about spending 1k on pillars, but these look great! Though as some have stated im worried about the sound. Are they too small? Do they make any unwanted sounds? Then again mids in the pillars may have less air room? And lastly, i have no fab experience, i have no idea how to mount these without them maybe falling off or rattling

#54 ·
I received my pods listed for Legatia L1 on Ebay. No way of mounting that tweeter into these pods though. I emailed him and the response was that, it was necessary to Glue it in. Hmmm. So I’m going to take my new H.A.T. Legatia L1 Pro R2’s and Glue them into these beautiful black anodized aluminum pods. ?? I guess I will attempt drill/tapping these out for set screws.

#57 ·
Do you have pics of these installed? What were you able to set the crossover at for midbass/midrange conversion? I guess what I want to know is were there any negatives in the freq. response due to te enclosure being too small for the driver.

#58 ·
I'm not running the drivers anywhere near FS, so enclosure size is not that big of factor. However, I would say the pods have tad more volume then 3" PVC end caps. I have mine crossed at 309hz @ LR 24db. I'm not much of a picture taker, but will try to get a couple shots.

#59 ·
309 Hz/24 db. that's not bad at all actually. Lower than I'm running my AP drivers currently. Will be addressing that in the coming days as I now have all my amps working properly again. Did you notice any rise in the response from of the drivers just north of that cross point? If you could grab us a pic I think many would be appreciative not the least of which would be me.

#63 ·
I am trying to decide if I want to try these or try my hand at modding my pillars. These would definitely be cheaper and easier to install but I think the modded pillars look better. Decisions, decisions.

#65 ·
I ordered a pair of his pillar pods for the FR89's, just like lizardking. I didn't go through eBay, just dealt with him directly via email. Little bit of a language barrier but he delivered the goods at a good price. Took a litte less than 1 month but he always kept in contact. My enclosures look just like the ones lizardking posted. Very high quality with not a nick or scratch on the black aluminum. I'm very pleased.

No resonances and they seem to play fine down to 400Hz with no problem. There's enough airspace for the mid to play down to 400Hz. It may be a while till i get them installed but anyone worried about quality or airspace (lack of) shouldn't have a problem unless your trying to play the mid lower than 300Hz or so. I thought I noticed the mid struggling some at 300Hz but I need to test more. I just got them today and wanted to make sure they would work for my application (400Hz - 6kHz). They do.

I'm happy enough that I may holler at him for a tweeter set.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.