DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an SQ setup in my Tundra truck. I have always considered kicks the better location for the front stage drivers. I have seen quite a few SQ systems with pillar mounts but never heard one (less hearing tweets in the pillars and they sounded bad as I could hear separation between the mid/tweet).

I did some measurements today and the driver side pillar much closer then the passenger pillar (wide vehicle). The measurements of the kicks are closer to equal distances (*by %).

I have plenty of room on the pillars (big dash) and it wont adversely affect viewing area....but have always had good results with kicks.
(*note the is my work truck and I have damaged drivers-custom kicks by throwing tools on the floor and putting a boot on them by accident).

So what is the better option????

~JH

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Just for the protection of the drivers in your case, I would say pillars. I've had great luck in the kicks and I've heard plenty in the pillars but never tried it myself. I haven't been able to hear a whole lot of difference in the two when properly setup.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I hear that with kicks the path length thing comes into play and you have a wider soundstage. I was talking to soundjunkie about it and he swears by it.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
You will have lower path length difference between the near and far driver if you install the mids in kicks. The lower end frequencies are more sensitive to this PLD and hence arrival times. The higher frequencies aka what your tweets play are more sensitive to axis response, i.e. how on or off axis the tweets are to you. In addition your height cues, which give you perception of stage height are from about 2khz and up.

Based on this you would ideally go for the mids low down on the doors and as far forward as possible, or in kicks. The tweets would be at dash level or pillars. To make this setup work you would need some dsp like TA. If you're running a stock hu then it may be better to mount the tweet near the mid for better tonality and integration between the mids and highs.

If you were running a 3 way then you could mount your mid range and tweets on the pillars in modded pods and keep your mb driver down low.

At the end it comes down to the amt of dsp you have and the install limitations of your environment. Again, if you don't have a lot of dsp then I would go with the drivers close to each other and mounted low. Play with the axis (x & y) on the tweeters

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kicks do have the better path length, minimizing need for sound processing/delay, but my problem with kicks, was they get KICKED and get dented, scuffed, broken etc. I have big feet and have destroyed 2 sets of tweeters already in kick panel installs.

It comes down to a personal choice. Kicks are more stealth, less processing required, but you run into them getting blocked by legs/feet, kicked, and you lose foot room. Pillars usually require processing and time alignment, are tougher to do aesthetically, less airspace (driver dependant) and easy to spot from outside the vehicle, and could make your car more likely to get broken into.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am doing an SQ setup in my Tundra truck. I have always considered kicks the better location for the front stage drivers. I have seen quite a few SQ systems with pillar mounts but never heard one (less hearing tweets in the pillars and they sounded bad as I could hear separation between the mid/tweet).

I did some measurements today and the driver side pillar much closer then the passenger pillar (wide vehicle). The measurements of the kicks are closer to equal distances (*by %).

I have plenty of room on the pillars (big dash) and it wont adversely affect viewing area....but have always had good results with kicks.
(*note the is my work truck and I have damaged drivers-custom kicks by throwing tools on the floor and putting a boot on them by accident).

So what is the better option????

~JH

I'm interested in everyones response to this, as i'm debating on kicks or pillars in the same truck for my setup.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm going to throw my $.02 in and say kicks for the mids, with the tweets in the pillar if you have the processing (both in the kicks if not). The only time I have heard mids in the pillars that sound good is at shows where they have a large vehicle, and the seats are pushed all the way back to help improve the PLD's. I don't think pillar mids are practical for daily drivers - too obtrusive to do on axis, and too difficult to tune properly and avoid that "in your face" sound. Again, just my .02, YMMV.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
My only concern with kicks is finding an unobstructed pathway to my ears. I generally purchase cars with manual transmissions, and just the mere shifting of gears would place my left leg constantly moving in front of the driver. You'll generally encounter the same sort of problem with a passenger.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Personally I like kick panels. I try to achieve a good sound stage without any bandaids such as processors, or eq's. I am running a set of tweets, and a center channel now, but prefer kicks, with maybe also a tweeter dash or pillar mounted to keep from having issues with blockage from legs moving,shifting, passengers, etc.

·
Registered
322 Posts
depends on the car. In my experience kick pros are 1) path length is closer 2) easier to get a good center image w/ less processing 3) stage width cons are 1) can easily be blocked by legs and or dash overhangs causing height to REALLY suffer 2) big consoles can cause some weird reflection issues that can lead to trouble centering image

I have never done a pillar install, just placed drivers up there in testing stages. my impression is pillars (in a lot of cars) are INCREDIBLY side biased...like not enough dsp in the world to fix it kinda side biased.

I'm a big fan of using as little processing as possible so I opted for kicks in my TL. I was able to actually make the kick smaller than the factory, push the mid pretty far forward to help equalize path length, (and luckily avoid the dash for the most part). Tweet is pretty much on axis in the kick, midbass is in the door. I really wanted to do the midbass under the dsah, but it just wasn't practical in this car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts