DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how I can bypass the video lockout on this model. I want to be able to have video from either the ipod or dvd player going while the car is in motion. I think its kind of pointless to only be able to play movies while the car is in park. Anyway if anyone knows how to do this please help me.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I thought there was some strange algorithm it used to "sense" the parking brake? I very well could be wrong though. I never tried to just ground out my wire. I would assume the op's deck is close enough to mine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so just run a wire from the parking brake wire to the ground wire? And we are talking about the wires coming out of the back of the unit right?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
^Yes sir. Just wire the green to black and you are good to go.
And most(I can't say is all) Pioneer DVD HUs using the same wiring. My SDV-P7 also wired the same and I do have video without parking brake engage. But in legal terms, this is not right.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
you cant just run it to the ground. There must be a toggle in between the parking brake from hu and the ground. It will only work if you ground it everytime you want to watch a movie or anything else restricted, thus the toggle is put in the circut.

·
Registered
316 Posts
you cant just run it to the ground. There must be a toggle in between the parking brake from hu and the ground. It will only work if you ground it everytime you want to watch a movie or anything else restricted, thus the toggle is put in the circut.
This is correct, I have a AVH-P4000DVD in my civic and Clarion 2Din in my pathfinder. Most all Pioneers and clarions you must ground the green wire and put a switch in line with it. Each time you start up the HU the switch has to be flicked off and then back on for it to pick it up.

Or you could use a 528T Time'ed Relay and set a time delay for it so you don't have to flick a switch every time you want to watch a movie.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is correct, I have a AVH-P4000DVD in my civic and Clarion 2Din in my pathfinder. Most all Pioneers and clarions you must ground the green wire and put a switch in line with it. Each time you start up the HU the switch has to be flicked off and then back on for it to pick it up.

Or you could use a 528T Time'ed Relay and set a time delay for it so you don't have to flick a switch every time you want to watch a movie.
Well I defintely do not want to have a toggle switch, so can you please explain a little more about the timed relay?

·
Registered
316 Posts
that video is cool, I was under the impression you had to use a time'd relay.
Such as: Amazon.com: DEI 528T Pulse Timer Relay: Electronics
because I thought I remember someone telling me that it doesn't sent out a signal as soon as it starts hence the need for timer. Not too sure.
I'm currently just using a switch in my civic and I got a few relays in the garage so i'll try it out tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Please let us know what you find. I need to pull my HU next week to put in an optical cable, so I would love to knock out this relay bypass at the same time.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I had an AVH-P4000DVD, and I used a regular Bosch relay to throw ground to the parking brake wire- triggered from the HU's remote wire. There's just enough delay on the remote wire that the head unit thinks it's powering up and then getting the parking brake sense right after. Worked perfectly, every time.
I haven't tried this with the 4200 but I did the same thing with a buddy's 4100 and it was the same.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Well, This is the first time I'm using a Pioneer DVD HU and I wired directly(nope, it is pre-wired by scotter99 when he sell it to me) the ground and parking brake. But I always turn them on after I start my car. So I never encouter with the timer or whatever delay..... And we should turn on any HU after the car started(waiting for the system voltage to stable) to prevent pre-mature damage to HU's internals.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had an AVH-P4000DVD, and I used a regular Bosch relay to throw ground to the parking brake wire- triggered from the HU's remote wire. There's just enough delay on the remote wire that the head unit thinks it's powering up and then getting the parking brake sense right after. Worked perfectly, every time.
I haven't tried this with the 4200 but I did the same thing with a buddy's 4100 and it was the same.
Well thats nice to know, like I said I'm gonna try that tomorrow. Be very nice if it works.
The p4000dvd is not no SQ HU but its so simple and works so nice that I have a hard time trying to replace it. not to mention it looks so nice in the dash of my civic lol

And we should turn on any HU after the car started(waiting for the system voltage to stable) to prevent pre-mature damage to HU's internals.
I've never seen that done before, I've not have much exposure to higher end systems but it makes perfect sense. Do you but a switch on the acc wire or the power?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Nope, I don't have a switch for my ACC. What I understand :
+12V is for the HU's memory
ACC is a signal for the HU to start. You got 12V, it will start, else it won't start
When HU is not turned on, it is on standby mode and no power consumptions(capacitor at idle state of storing 12V charge.
When HU is turned on, the capacitor is charging and discharging to give power to HU's outputs.
We all knows that, on initial crank, the voltage may drop till 10V and back to 13.8V when alternator kicks in.
Now if the HU is on all the time, the HU's main power supply capacitor is subjected to voltage spikes between 10-13.8V when we start the car. Maybe the DVD HU is detecting this spike to not showing any display.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nope, I don't have a switch for my ACC. What I understand :
+12V is for the HU's memory
ACC is a signal for the HU to start. You got 12V, it will start, else it won't start
When HU is not turned on, it is on standby mode and no power consumptions(capacitor at idle state of storing 12V charge.
When HU is turned on, the capacitor is charging and discharging to give power to HU's outputs.
We all knows that, on initial crank, the voltage may drop till 10V and back to 13.8V when alternator kicks in.
Now if the HU is on all the time, the HU's main power supply capacitor is subjected to voltage spikes between 10-13.8V when we start the car. Maybe the DVD HU is detecting this spike to not showing any display.
Do you mean the actual head unit is off as in no ACC to it? or its just off as in no source selected and no output from the HU?

·
Registered
316 Posts
ACC is disconnected during cranking, on every car. IGN still supplies power during cranking, ACC does not.
So IGN still can send a power spike, With no regard to ACC position? so it don't matter...unless 12v+ is cut completely?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts