DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Pioneer AVH4201NEX mute issue MYSTERY

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Sine Swept 
#1 ·
HELP diagnosing issue:
I have a Pioneer AVH4201NEX that is muting on and off repeatedly in all modes, usually repeatedly- after I get over 55mph. When I hit bumps in the road it causes this issue more...At lower speeds around town this does not happen. I have checked for auto muting settings and a lot of other settings. I'm not sure if this would be an issue in the unit or the display....if its the display I think it would be cheaper to buy a used display than sending for service and diagnosis charges?
  • Mutes on and off repeatedly and usually ends up muted after going around 55 mpg...occationally it unmutes hitting more bumps but usually stays muted.
  • Aggravated by bumps
  • Does not happen at lower speeds around town, even if I hit small bumps
  • I can hold the mute button in on the radio and it does not happen- stay playing
  • If I can get the display lowered before it mutes, it doesn't have an issue- but you can't control anything until restoring the display to an upright position
  • *Seem like there is a mechanical piece in the display that may be bouncing or giggling that is causing the radio to mute on/off repeatedly.

See less See more
#2 ·
My first thought is there a mute wire in the harness that is not taped up and going to ground?

I see they did make a firmware update, is yours up to date?

#5 ·
Is this in a Porsche by chance?

If not, does the vehicle have a factory amplifier (or are you using aftermarket amps?)

If you are using some kind of Crux module, sometimes they need to be firmware updated as well or funky things can occur. What harness are you using to interface the radio?

#9 ·
I would say these days when you are sure your wiring is not the culprit and there is nothing left for you to see, update the firmware. It's stupid. I have used modules dated 2019 to use on a vehicle from 2014 and the damn module still needed to be updated for it to work flawlessly. How does that even work?

Reactions: Heinsite
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.