DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a choice between the two above mentioned models.. DEH9800BT or DEH9600MP. Which is the better deck?

My setup is a 4 way, the HU plus additional processor must control XO points and provide adjustable slopes, plus bandpass for midrange and midbass, plus incremental delays on all channels. Now I know both HU's will only do a 3 way which we'll get into in the next chapter. Given a choice, which is the better of the 2 decks?

Also, with the possible addition of the DEQ-9200, would I be able to combine either of the above mentioned HU's with a DEQ-9200 and effectively get full control over a 4 way system? 3 way front stage plus sub, bandpassed midbass and midrange, adjustable slopes and incrementally adjustable delay on all 8 channels?

Full control over a 4 way system, 3 way front stage plus subs is my priority. I don't care about the microphone and the built in self tuning features, will eventually use RTA and tune accordingly.. But if I could somehow implement the mic to work between both the HU and the DEQ, is it worth doing? Again, not important but nice to know, yay or ixnay on that? Is that built in tuning feature worth a shot? Is it effective?

Which is the better deck, DEH-9800BT or DEH9600MP? And would adding a DEQ-9200 work with either HU to accomplish my goals?

Also, I think this may be of relevance, my subs get 60/80HZ and down, midbass usually from 60/80HZ to 160/200HZ, midrange from 200 to 3.5/5K etc etc.

But I just picked up HAT Legatia L6, L4, L1V2, so my crossover points may vary drastically from what I described (haven't installed the HAT's yet) The point is, would that setup allow fine tailoring, are the bandpass features and XO points incrementally adjustable or are there presets? EG: for tweeters, preset points from let's just say 2.5k straight to 3k then to 4k then to 4.5 then to 5k? Or will it allow me to incrementally adjust XO points from a predetermined point on up. EG: 2.4K 2.6K 2.8K 3k 3.2K 3.4K 3.6K etc etc??

Too confusing.. In simple English. How adjustable are the XO points and slopes? I will be using rear out on HU for midbass then the front out of HU to DEQ. The DEQ for midrange and tweeter. Will that arrangement allow bandpass and detailed XO adjustments to midbass and midrange from 63HZ to 5KHZ?

Slopes from 6/12/18/24DB?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a choice between the two above mentioned models.. DEH9800BT or DEH9600MP. Which is the better deck?

My setup is a 4 way, the HU plus additional processor must control XO points and provide adjustable slopes, plus bandpass for midrange and midbass, plus incremental delays on all channels. Now I know both HU's will only do a 3 way which we'll get into in the next chapter. Given a choice, which is the better of the 2 decks?

Also, with the possible addition of the DEQ-9200, would I be able to combine either of the above mentioned HU's with a DEQ-9200 and effectively get full control over a 4 way system? 3 way front stage plus sub, bandpassed midbass and midrange, adjustable slopes and incrementally adjustable delay on all 8 channels?

Full control over a 4 way system, 3 way front stage plus subs is my priority. I don't care about the microphone and the built in self tuning features, will eventually use RTA and tune accordingly.. But if I could somehow implement the mic to work between both the HU and the DEQ, is it worth doing? Again, not important but nice to know, yay or ixnay on that? Is that built in tuning feature worth a shot? Is it effective?

Which is the better deck, DEH-9800BT or DEH9600MP? And would adding a DEQ-9200 work with either HU to accomplish my goals?

Also, I think this may be of relevance, my subs get 60/80HZ and down, midbass usually from 60/80HZ to 160/200HZ, midrange from 200 to 3.5/5K etc etc.

But I just picked up HAT Legatia L6, L4, L1V2, so my crossover points may vary drastically from what I described (haven't installed the HAT's yet) The point is, would that setup allow fine tailoring, are the bandpass features and XO points incrementally adjustable or are there presets? EG: for tweeters, preset points from let's just say 2.5k straight to 3k then to 4k then to 4.5 then to 5k? Or will it allow me to incrementally adjust XO points from a predetermined point on up. EG: 2.4K 2.6K 2.8K 3k 3.2K 3.4K 3.6K etc etc??

Too confusing.. In simple English. How adjustable are the XO points and slopes? I will be using rear out on HU for midbass then the front out of HU to DEQ. The DEQ for midrange and tweeter. Will that arrangement allow bandpass and detailed XO adjustments to midbass and midrange from 63HZ to 5KHZ?

Slopes from 6/12/18/24DB?

Thanks in advance.
That DEQ piece.......I'm not sure how you would get the 4 way active going. It only does pro-mode for a 3 way active (high-mid-low). I'm not sure how you would be able to get the sub stage output going.

I have a 980Bt that's been sitting in my garage for a while now. Used it for quite some time a few years ago and it was nice. The BT stuff was really nice. Don't know much about the 9600

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That DEQ piece.......I'm not sure how you would get the 4 way active going. It only does pro-mode for a 3 way active (high-mid-low). I'm not sure how you would be able to get the sub stage output going.

I have a 980Bt that's been sitting in my garage for a while now. Used it for quite some time a few years ago and it was nice. The BT stuff was really nice. Don't know much about the 9600
I am actually looking to combine both units to control a 4 way system.

I was hoping to output from the HU to both the DEQ and to an additional amp.

I was thinking front out on the HU to the DEQ, then from DEQ to 3 sets of drivers, then again from the HU, (rear or sub out) to 4th set of drivers.

EG:
A) Front out from HU to DEQ then out from DEQ high/midrange/midbass, then sub out from HU for low.

B) Front out from HU to DEQ then out from DEQ to high/midrange/sub, then rear out from HU for midbass

C) Front out from HU to DEQ then out from DEQ to high/midbass/sub, then rear out from HU for midrange

I was just wondering if the XO points in each unit are variable enough in the mid section (or any of their bandwidths) to allow such a configuration. Was hoping someone with experience with 1 or both units could shed some light.

I'm not concerned about using the mic to calibrate sound, I would EQ with RTA and set delays by ear.

Simple.

A) What are the XO points and bandpass capability available on the rear out of the 9800? Incremental adjustments for fine tune or lump sum jumps?

B) What are the XO points and bandpass adjust ability on the DEQ? Incremental adjustments for fine tune or lump sum jumps?

Some units are set in stone, have very limited predetermined XO points per given bandwidth, you can only "ballpark" your adjustments, if that is the case with these, then I may not be able to set it up the way I want.

If the XO points are flexible enough in one unit or the other then the rest should be a snap, I was hoping to use both units combined to run a 4 way system.

I guess the easiest thing for me to do would be to get owners manuals on both pieces. I guess I'll just try to get the info from pioneer or online.

In the meantime, if anyone can chime in.. Which is the better deck?

Can I combine the HU and DEQ to control a 4 way system and would the combination provide fine tuning of a 4 way system?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Google for the DEQ and you can be linked to the Pioneer website. It tells you that basically it has a pro-mode, which is just like the 880PRS pro mode.

The 980BT is just like the 880 standard mode, where:

Sub - HP - 50,63,80,100,125,150

Rear - HP - Same as above

Front - HP - Same as above

I believe the fronts and rears go up to 200hz hp. I do not believe the 980BT has a pro mode like the 880.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked Pioneers website (Duh!!) I couldn't find any info on the 9600 and what I found on the 9800 BT isn't very encouraging. It seems that my Alpine CDA-9853 does more for what I need than the Pioneer. I was hoping to step up..

Add to that the fact that the Jokester that suggested that he had a DEQ-9200 that he wants to do business with is no longer responding to PM's in here.

I did find info on the 9600 online though, it has a Burr Brown chip in it, whereas I couldn't find any info on the 9800 that would suggest the same.. But it's an older model that doesn't support HD radio, and I found an old add (from 2005) where someone was offering one for sale for only $250. My guess is I could probably find either one of these decks in a pawnshop local for about $50. So I'm going to hold off for now.

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, is the PRS880 the only Pioneer deck that has bandpass capability for midbass?

One other thing, (limited processing capability aside) is the DEH-9800BT a good SQ deck in terms of signal quality? Does it have the Burr Brown deal? With the right processor (Alto Mobile UCS or Bit 1) would it make a solid foundation for a killer SQ type setup? Or should I just stick with my Alpine CDA-9853 PPI FRX456 combo for now?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes, the 980bt does have the burr-brown DACs. I thought it was a nice deck. I just also have a W205 and a 880prs. No need for it right now.

I heard that bit one isn't friendly to a lot of people. I also don't know beans about the CDA or the PPI.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the 980bt does have the burr-brown DACs. I thought it was a nice deck. I just also have a W205 and a 880prs. No need for it right now.

I heard that bit one isn't friendly to a lot of people. I also don't know beans about the CDA or the PPI.
Yes but the 9800BT is a different deck. The 980 is the Premier. Does the 9800 have Burr Brown too? Or is that the difference between the two? Premier 980BT and the DEH-9800BT. Or does the BT in both model numbers denote the Burr Brown dat feature, meaning both decks have it?

How much for your units?? What is the W205? Is that a Pioneer Pro model?

·
Registered
694 Posts
BT - Bluetooth

I didn't know the 9800 wasn't a premier deck.

W205 is the A/V Alpine model many people use with the H701.

The Pioneer website could tell you most of what you want to know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts