DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some help / advice / recommendations

I have a Pioneer MVH 8300 BT headunit: Pioneer MVH-P8300BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

I got it from Crutchfield and had it shipped over to New Zealand where I live. When I purchased it it wasn't available here in NZ.

Anyway I didn't really research it well and haven't ended up with what I want. These are my problems...

The radio skips 0.2Hz increments on the odd decimal (ie 89.9, 90.1, 90.3) and hence misses just about every channel here in NZ. I checkd the bandwidth before I purchased but just assumed that every frequency in-between would be available, apparently not.

Today I hooked up an IP-Bus to 3.5mm jack adapter and tried to play through my Android, that doesn't work either, so no music / radio from my Android. This could be a faulty cable (although I stripped it down and checked the connections) but I tend to think it's the software. I did enable AUX input in the settings. Some more info is in my build thread: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/118508-350z-sq-install-2.html#post1495433

The iPod integration works well, but requires a USB connection to the front of the unit, there are no rear inputs, USB or RCA, that's a pain in the ass but I doubt there is anything I can do about that.

I also found out that the euro spec model has time alignment functionality which this one does not, that's more of a nice-to-have since I plan on putting some DSP into my system anyway.

So my question is, is there any way to salvage this head unit? The first two issues are the real deal breakers for me. Assuming that all of the hardware is there, can the software be flashed or hacked to enable 0.1Hz stepping on the radio tuner? Also does anyone know if the IP-Bus to 3.5mm adapters found on eBay will work universally with all Pioneer head units? If so then I will replace the adapter, if not then as with the radio, is there a way to hack the software?

If I can't resolve those issues I'll probably write this one off and look for a new head unit for Christmas. In that case, can anyone recommend a head unit with the following features:

Input for iPod (with power) and an auxiliary, preferably connected to the rear of the unit
Bluetooth which supports hand free calling
An orange or adjustable color scheme - want it to match the existing dash lighting
Good range of audio settings
Quality brand
Price in the same range as this unit ($329 from Crutchfield)

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
306 Posts
For the hacking you refer too?
No it's not possible, plus monaco won't touch the radio either.
Eclipse and some clarion and JVC unit's can be switched between european and US frequencies.

There might be a chance to get a stepper band expander as such.
What EQ, are you thinking about using?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the hacking you refer too?
No it's not possible, plus monaco won't touch the radio either.
Eclipse and some clarion and JVC unit's can be switched between european and US frequencies.

There might be a chance to get a stepper band expander as such.
What EQ, are you thinking about using?
Sorry for leaving this for a while, been focused on the other areas of my install.

Basically I'm thinking now that I'll box it up and put it up for sale here, I'll work out shipping costs and then put it up for a reasonable price.

I started a new thread to help track down an appropriate replacement, if you have any recommendations please post there, thanks!

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/system-design-help-me-choose-equipment-my-car/123509-new-head-unit-advice-sq-build.html#post1551577

1 - 3 of 3 Posts