DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a case for your ipod? I just bought a new 120gb Classic and am trying to find a case that provides good protection but has a dock connector opening large enough to accommodate the pioneer's oversized plug. I had a clear plastic case for my Nano, but I always had to take it off to plug it into the pioneer adapter, which was really annoying. I pretty much stopped using the case all together but then my nano got all scratched up. I'm trying to avoid that with my new one.

Got any suggestions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably not the most appropriate solution but I keep mine in an Otter case. When it's in the rig, I crack the case open and plug it in. I have been over 300 miles off road like this and my ipod is none the worse for wear (no scratches, etc.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you considered using thumb drives and just leaving them in the car? iPods are just not SQ machines. I have a few thumb drives with lossless format music, and a couple with iPod quality MP3s. The file search feature on the Pioneer on USB source is almost the same as the iPod.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You should be able to use a file or something to make the hole bigger in ANY hard case.

No USB input on my 880. :confused:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
you can only get usb with the 880 with the separate module, and from what I hear integrating it within the head unit SUCKS. Thats why I used my Ipod touch, and a reular i poad cable that cost me $12. That way I scroll throuh the itouch and choose what song I want etc. I would rather do it that way anyways than have to go throuh a head unit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
you can only get usb with the 880 with the separate module, and from what I hear integrating it within the head unit SUCKS. Thats why I used my Ipod touch, and a reular i poad cable that cost me $12. That way I scroll throuh the itouch and choose what song I want etc. I would rather do it that way anyways than have to go throuh a head unit.
I agree the USB addon sucks, control is rubbish and slow, 8 character display and no lossless support. Currently using Gen 5.5 Ipod video with the IB100II, again slow interface and cumbersome when you have 1000's of tracks. Your using an AUX cable (3.5mm jack) or IP-BUS to AUX?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I agree the USB addon sucks, control is rubbish and slow, 8 character display and no lossless support. Currently using Gen 5.5 Ipod video with the IB100II, again slow interface and cumbersome when you have 1000's of tracks. Your using an AUX cable (3.5mm jack) or IP-BUS to AUX?
Im using this: PAC IC-PIOP IPOD Adapter Pioneer icpiop Ip-bus Cable - eBay (item 350187356377 end time May-05-09 20:22:06 PDT)

It is really fast in selection, and scrollin throuh my itouch is the way to go seriously. The only draw back of gettin a itouch is the size/cost ratio. I dont need more than 8gb of music with me at anytime, but even if I did there are 32gig options, and you can get them used for lik $250ish

·
Registered
675 Posts
That is a great find! I've been wanting IPOD connection for my Pie-in-eer but did not want to spend the 80$ to get the freakin adaptor when all i wanted was a RCA or 1/8" input...this is damn near the same thing! ....wait...when you plug into the bottom of your ipod doesn't it go into a different mode where it just thinks its connected to something and none of the controls work or does this just grab the audio out and away you go just like with headphones, sans volume control??

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That is a great find! I've been wanting IPOD connection for my Pie-in-eer but did not want to spend the 80$ to get the freakin adaptor when all i wanted was a RCA or 1/8" input...this is damn near the same thing! ....wait...when you plug into the bottom of your ipod doesn't it go into a different mode where it just thinks its connected to something and none of the controls work or does this just grab the audio out and away you go just like with headphones, sans volume control??
With that cord, none of the controls work through the 880, you have to select the song you want and navigate throuh the ipod itself. Which in the 880's case is much better. The interface sucks, and its a waste of money. I mean 8 characters? **** thats gay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With that cord, none of the controls work through the 880, you have to select the song you want and navigate throuh the ipod itself. Which in the 880's case is much better. The interface sucks, and its a waste of money. I mean 8 characters? **** thats gay.
8 character is for the USB adapter UB100. You shouldnt be using the headphone out as its very poor quality, you better of using a lineout cable or lineout dock as both connect to the bottom dock connector of the Ipod(bypassing the amp stage of the Ipod).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
8 character is for the USB adapter UB100. You shouldnt be using the headphone out as its very poor quality, you better of using a lineout cable or lineout dock as both connect to the bottom dock connector of the Ipod(bypassing the amp stage of the Ipod).
im using a cord that connects to the IP BUS of the 880s back end of the head unit, you know the blue connectior. Not a poor quality signal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
im using a cord that connects to the IP BUS of the 880s back end of the head unit, you know the blue connectior. Not a poor quality signal.
not that end, the other end on the Ipod itself! the 3.5mm jack is amp from the Ipod, this is the number one reason for the loss is SQ(the crappy analogue amp stage).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can hear a audible difference using a line out adapter. The problem is that the line out does not have adjustable gain. If the HU you plug the connector into has to have the volume turned up to near max it can introduce additional noise anyway. So sometimes the "audible difference" is not a good thing.

To get back to the OP, the line out adapters use about the same space as the cable, so you will still not be able to use many cases. A toddler's sock makes a good case with dock access if you don't need the controls.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
not that end, the other end on the Ipod itself! the 3.5mm jack is amp from the Ipod, this is the number one reason for the loss is SQ(the crappy analogue amp stage).
the ipod touch doesnt have a 3.5 mm jack, it is the longer connection, the one that sits on docks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Id rather control the ipod anyways, not through the Deck (and its for a diff. pioneer deck) Funny enough I use the headphone jack quite often through concert rigs without any loss in "SQ"

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm NOT talking about using the headphone out. I'm talking about the Pioneer ipod adapter that uses the dock connector and allows me to control it through the HU. I'm currently using a slide-in ipod holster sort of thing, but would love something that allowed me access to the controls for all the time that it's not in my car. I guess I could just buy one and cut/file the dock connector opening if I had to. I hadnt thought about that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts