DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first stereo deck I had was the Pioneer p5000ub and it had the ability to provide excellent bass. But ever since I put in the p780mp, there have been a dramatic change in bass, very little in fact. I played with the decks built in 18 band EQ, bumped the first 3-5 bands to max and it improved a bit of the bass, but yet not as much as before. If anyone have any experience with this deck and if you stumbled on this situation too, let me know how you solved the bass problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The HU doesn't make bass, the speakers do. If you want bass, you need an amp and a sub, not bass boost.

If you give us a budget we can point you in the right direction. Using bass boost and loudness features on the deck cause distortion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My front speakers are 6.5 Pioneer TS-A1673R with 6x9 pioneers in the rear, forgot the model. Powered with an Alpine pdx-f4 , 100w each. The thing was that the bass doesnt hit as hard as before when I had older deck. I played with the EQ too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are you running a sub?

Have you checked your gains? When you swapped the deck, the pre out voltages are probably different between the two decks, and your gains could be set improperly for the new deck. Do you have access to a digital multimeter? Resetting your gains is the first thing I'd try. Make sure you set the EQ to flat before setting gains. Even if your amp has "2V, 4V" settings on the gain, those numbers are estimates, setting with a DMM or oscilloscope is a much better and accurate method.

Either way, using EQ to add bass is the wrong method. Forcing the speaker to play harder than it is designed to by boosting the bass will lead to damaged equipment and degrades the sound quality. Subs are designed for bass. Ideally, you should HPF the speakers around 80Hz to protect them from damage, and let the sub take care of what's below that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts