DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's some test results for the Pioneer P99RS in CD and iPod out. Also, I did a test on the 800PRS to see how it compares to the P99. Results are listed as noted below.

*note:
Added DEH-P9 Data to the thread below...

The obligatory "prove you have them" picture:

[/IMG]

Thanks to JCollins for donating his P99 for testing. I made certain not to hot swap anything. These units were always powered down before swapping out rca's. Live and learn.

On with the test...

• Tested with RightMark Analyzer v5.5.
  • Headunits powered off battery source.
  • CD or iPod source (noted in test results).
    • iPod track is .wav format
  • Signal from 'mid' channels to PC soundcard (m-audio audiophile 2496).
  • All audio options set to 'off' or 'defeat'.
  • Volume on headunit was set to threshold for software (53/62 for P99; 52/62 for 800PRS). Note that before I tested the units with the software, I tested them with a scope to see if/where they clip. The 3rd post in this thread shows the units do not clip at full output with a 1khz tone. Good to go.
Note: The numbers in the summary can be deceiving. Look at the graphs. Sometimes a 'better' number doesn't turn out as well on the graph (ie: P800 vs P99).

P99 CD player & iPod Test Results:
Summary:

THD:

Noise:

IMD:

FR:

Dynamic Range:

Cross Talk:

P99 Cross Talk Between it's own channels:

The ipod and cd portions seem to be identical. Looks like this unit indeed bypasses the ipod DAC and uses it's own. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd expect the results to be so dead on to each other.

Great results overall. If it weren't so dang cumbersome to tune with (at least to me), I'd be all for buying one of these units. That, and they'd have to make it a double din. But, hey, you never know...

No, I haven't listened to it. There's too many variables involved. I've heard plenty of cars with this deck... that's close enough.

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Pioneer P99RS and Pioneer 800PRS Testing

This is the P9 deck only vs the P99 deck. No DSP tied to the P9 deck; Measuring the CD transport, only.

Summary of the P9 vs the P99:

FR:

Cross-Talk:

THD:

IMD:

Dynamic Range:

Noise:

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

The p99 does not clip with 1khz, 0dB tone:

The 800prs does not clip with 1khz, 0dB tone:

Note, the scale was changed during the tests, so don't try to resolve what voltage you get out of the units by looking at the above pictures' scale. ;)

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

And while I'm the only one killing my own thread right now... if anyone I know who is seeing this has the hookup on this deck, LMK. Seriously.

:D

;)

For the fun of it, here's a picture of all the other stuff I'm testing or have tested (and some of it isn't pictured here):

3 JL 12w6v2's, lol!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Looks like the test candidates are rolling in

·
Registered
148 Posts

Wow, the P800 FR chart is crazy! :eek:

I always liked the sound of the P800 but did notice a definite improvement going to the P99, maybe that explains it. Did you run anything on the P800 comparing CD and iPod?

Thanks for takin' the time to do all this, great work! Don't forget to let me know about the shipping.

Best,
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do this Erin, another great write up.
Curious how they will stack up with the alpine combos...

Also, nice to know about the ipod dac bypass.... Ipod is my main source. Lol

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Wow, the P800 FR chart is crazy! :eek:
Scary crazy! That P99 is behaving much better! Not unlike a previous test from doiter with the P01. I shouldn't have read this thread :(.
Now I'll always wonder about the difference between the sound of the P88RS II I have now and the P99.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Came as a shock to me too! And all the peaks occur exactly at the EQ points if I look a bit closer. Almost as if it has been running auto EQ or a preset?
a peak at 80, 125, 200, dip at 500, peak at 800, 1250, 2000, 3150, 5000, 8000, 12000 without exceptions bands in the 16 EQ bands of the HU.

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attn everyone:
I AM AN IDIOT

(as if you didn't already know).

I went through all the EQ/DSP bands to make sure it was all flat of the 800prs before test. HOWEVER, what I didn't catch was that the pre-set curve was set to "powerful". :rolleyes:

Re-test shows it flat. I'm going to update the data in about 10 minutes. Sorry for the confusion and huge lesson learned on my part.

Again, sorry, guys. I screwed that one up. :/

·
Registered
25 Posts

i have to save this thread in my favorite page......
hope you test more HU compared with p99rs.
could you test USA P99RS VS Japan DEH-P01?????? some guys doubt if they completely same ......

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

Attn everyone:
I AM AN IDIOT

(as if you didn't already know).

I went through all the EQ/DSP bands to make sure it was all flat of the 800prs before test. HOWEVER, what I didn't catch was that the pre-set curve was set to "powerful". :rolleyes:

Re-test shows it flat. I'm going to update the data in about 10 minutes. Sorry for the confusion and huge lesson learned on my part.

Again, sorry, guys. I screwed that one up. :/
Not an idiot just Human! ;)

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

how about a modded p9????..... ;)

to be honest, guys, it looks like I'm dang near reaching my limits of the soundcard here. as in, everything that measures well will look the same up to X point. It will take a higher grade soundcard to show more details, I believe.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

The curve seemed somewhat familiar ;-). I'm glad you discovered that, I almost bought the P99 I don't need :)

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do this Erin, another great write up.
Curious how they will stack up with the alpine combos...

Also, nice to know about the ipod dac bypass.... Ipod is my main source. Lol
A bit OT but worth mentioning........Whenever a portable device connects to a head unit with AND ONLY WITH a USB plug, it can only be a straight digital audio interface which ALWAYS bypasses the DAC of the portable device. For the simple fact that a USB plug only has 4 leads;

5 volts DC
DATA -
DATA+
Ground

And none of those are the left +, right+, ground that a line out would use.

That being said, there might be some cheap head unit out there that converts the digital audio once it enters the head unit into a analog signal to then be treated like any other analog source in that unit. Source selecting in the analog domain and then doing an A to D back to digital to go to the DSP. That would result in the same D>A A>D that everyone wants to avoid, only difference being that it would be done further down the audio chain by the head unit entirely. Never heard of that being the case,but it is possible since it would be a cheaper alternative to digital all the way.

This is how the older external USB audio boxes worked before USB became integrated into the head unit. Again for the same reason as above but the opposite, the AiNet cable or other bus cables could not transmit digital audio. So they had to convert to analog before going into the head unit.

The P99 obviously doesn't do any of this or it would be clearly seen as a different result in the graphs.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts