DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: 6+ inch 2-way component speakers:-

I can buy the JL Audio ZR650-CSi for about $700 (final price); the Focal 165KRX2 for $900 (final price) and the Pioneer TS-C172PRS is about $900 rrp (I may be able to get the Pioneer for about $800 after bargaining).

So lets assume the JL is $700, Pioneer is $800 and the Focal is $900.

In any event, which of these three component systems should I get?

I will be using an Alpine pdx-v9 (bridging the 4x100) into 2 channels to power them.

I would appreciate as much feedback as possible. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Those are all good choices and I have no experience with any of them. There are some details you should give, tho, that might help others help you. Where in your car are they located, are they on-axis or off, what kind of car are they going in, what other audio gear do you have or will have installed (ie. head unit, processor, eq), and what is your subwoofer crossed over at? Good luck :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. They're going in a Scion FR-S (Toyota FT-86) in the front doors/dash.

For the subwoofer perhaps an Alpine SWR-T12 or SWR-T10. Not sure what crossover point.

Factory head unit with an audio control lc7i.

Plenty of Dynamat.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I am familiar with the JL ZR and the Focal and they both are excellent. Both mids are going to be very beefy and I think the biggest difference will be in the tweeter. ZR is metal and Focal is Kevlar. The ZR tweeter has a little bit of an edge to it, much like Focal metal tweeters, whereas the Focal Kevlar will be a little smoother. With proper EQ you can tame either, but consider your tweeter preference as for me that is the main difference in these two sets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that reply, I found it quite interesting. What is your opinion regarding the focal vs the JL when considering they will be powered by the 4 x 100 from the pdx-v9 (bridged). Are both speakers well suited to such amplification? (ie. both similar power levels?)

Also since the car is the FR-s the tweeter will be at about ear level faced up towards the windscreen. Does this alter which tweeter is better suited?

I was intending on using the crossover supplied with the speakers. Any views about this? is the focal crossover better or worse than the JL?

Also what do you think about the fact that I can save $200 by going with the JLs rather than the focals?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
They will both handle the power fine, but you still need to be mindful of setting your crossover settings and gains. Both the Jl and Focal crossovers offer plenty of a adjustments and are built using very high quality components. I also think that tweeter crossover points on both will be similar in the 3,500-4,000 range. My Focal crossovers have two settings and slopes at either 3,500 or 5,000.

I am not familiar with the FRS. Are the tweeters 90 degrees off axis firing up at the windshield? If so, you will most likely need some EQ with either set, but I give the edge to the non metal Focal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dash where the tweeter goes is parallel with the road (ie. almost perfectly flat) and so the tweeter lies relatively flat point up to a sloping (say 45 degree) windshield. With the stock speakers, there seems to be fairly good ambient projection around the driver and passenger as a consequence. The tweeter is kind of ear level.

The 6.5inch driver is about the same distance away, but is down near the knee or calf muscles of the leg.

This is a very low riding vehicle.

I notice that the JL's are less sensitive but have a wider range (Sensitivity: 89.5 dB and - Frequency Response: 48 Hz - 25 kHz), whereas the focals are more sensitive but have a narrower range (Sensitivity: 93 dB @ 2.83 V - Frequency response: 70-20,000 Hz).

I'm no expert so not quite sure what that means in real terms.

I'm also bearing in mind that I save $200 on the JL's so if they're much of a muchness I may as well get the cheaper one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was looking at the krx2's for a long time and I've always Hurd that they sound way better on class a/b amps and also keep in mind thoes speakers are 2ohm! After doing alot of research I've decided to go with morel ether the virtus or elate!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that chase.

I noticed the amp I am using (pdx-v9) says the following:

RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 500 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 500 watts x 1 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 200 watts x 2 chan.

Does that mean i can't run the focals (being 2 ohm speakers) if I bridge the 4 channels into 2? That would be a serious problem.

The JL's are 4 ohm, but I read on a forum that the tweeter is 8 ohm. I don't know if that is true, but can someone explain to me the significance of the different ohms and whether the amp could even run the focals if the 4 channels are bridged into 2?

Cheers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are correct bud I had the same issue I wanted to run the focals passive like your wanting to but I can't cause typically 4 channel amp can't be bridged down to 2 ohm so only 2 options is to get a higher power 2 channel amp like mosconi gladen one 240.2 orrr go active . Now only reason why I chose to ditch the focals for the morels is because the morels tweets can brake down to fit in my factory tweeter locations and morels are very very good speakers. Some say the mid bass is alittle low but that's why I have a sub ill be going active

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've checked on the tweeter on the JL ZR.

System Nominal Impedance 8 Ω
System Frequency Response 4 kHz - 25 KHz ± 3 dB

It is an 8 ohm tweeter.

The 6.5 inch mid driver is 4 ohm.

1. Will the tweeter work (given it is 8 ohm) with the amp if it bridges 4 channels into a 4 ohm load (over 2 channels) only?
2. If the tweeter is 8 ohm does that mean it will receive only half the amount of power?

Please help this is confusing.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
The overall nominal impedance of the ZR is 4ohms and the focal is 2ohms. You can bridge to the ZR, but not to the Focal set as your amp is only stable to 4 ohms bridged. Does that make sense?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.