DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey bud, I bought the 1604 model recently. I'm the wrong person to tell you how good they are. I sealed up my doors and they are making some nice bass imo.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've had the european version of this set in my car. Not a bad set at all for the price. I don't think it does everything the PRS set does though (that's a guess, never heard the PRS). I have moved on from this set to other stuff, I figured these will sound better in a bigger car than mine. I guess that's due to the aramid cone material, they do pound some bass! (mind you cabin gain is huge in my small car, haven't heard them anywhere else exept on a sound board) My current Hertz ML 1600 are less "boom" and more "thud" if you know what I mean.

I still have the set and maybe I'll throw them in our E46 BMW.
In my little car I had trouble getting the midrange to my liking. The Hertz woofers do that job much better. I'd also advise experimenting with aiming the Pioneer tweeter. The Space One tweeters that replaced the Pioneers had a more open sound in the exact same position.

There is a thread or two about these on this site with more info.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/hot-deals/36936-pioneer-ts-d1720c-components.html

Also check out the review:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/CAE720Review.pdf (the reason I decided to try them)

If I were on a budget (like I originally planned to stick too :D) I wouldn't hessitate to buy again. It is a nice set for the money. I first planned to upgrade to the PRS set but decided to try paper cones instead. In hind sight I'm glad i did. I think I prefer paper cones.

I hope you can get something usefull out of this reply. I'm having a bit of trouble explaining the difference between my current set and the Pio's. I think I'd describe the Pioneer set as more edgy and the Hertz as smooth. How's that ;). The Hertz is less coloured in the midrange, with the Pioneers i used a lot of EQ to make it sound less box like that's why I think they'd be better suited in a bigger car.
Going back to my first impressions when I heard them on a sound board they beat everything the store had at that time including some Alpine comps that were in the same price range.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Be shure to let us know how they sound after you install them ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts