DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a short budget (70$) and i want to know if would be better the smaller sub with more watts or the bigger sub with less watts. Those two models, the pioneer TSW311D4 and the rockville w10k6d4, fit in my budget. It is for a chevy spark. My amp is a Boss CH2502, "2500 watts" and 2 channels.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You would be better off getting a better 10” subwoofer and putting it in a properly sized and ported box tuned low, 30-35Hz, depending on the subwoofer ts perimeters. Having the best built, proper size, and tuned box is arguably more important than the actual subwoofer you choose within reason.

That Boss amp probably puts out something like 300 watts RMS so it’s likely not powerful enough to push those subwoofers you listed. You would be better off with something like this.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110DUBW10/Jensen-DUBw10.html?tp=68872
Or this
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1S4102/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1S4-10.html?tp=68872

The Rockville looks good but would need at least 500 watts rms and the Pioneer is more of an SPL sub and not made for sound qaulity based on the quick modeling I did with it. It’s peaky at its high fs of 43 Hz.

Reactions: luismolero

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your reply was really helpful, thank you! I have a question, that jensen sub that you recommended me it may be better than a ****ty shallow mount boss "1000watts" subwoofer that i blew up with my amp? And yes, i know, i am a beginner and i have a small budget, but what can i do :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would be better off getting a better 10” subwoofer and putting it in a properly sized and ported box tuned low, 30-35Hz, depending on the subwoofer ts perimeters. Having the best built, proper size, and tuned box is arguably more important than the actual subwoofer you choose within reason.

That Boss amp probably puts out something like 300 watts RMS so it’s likely not powerful enough to push those subwoofers you listed. You would be better off with something like this.
"censored"
Or this
"censored"

The Rockville looks good but would need at least 500 watts rms and the Pioneer is more of an SPL sub and not made for sound qaulity based on the quick modeling I did with it. It’s peaky at its high fs of 43 Hz.
your reply was really helpful, thank you! I have a question, that jensen sub that you recommended me it may be better than a ****ty shallow mount boss "1000watts" subwoofer that i blew up with my amp? And yes, i know, i am a beginner and i have a small budget, but what can i do :(

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
A lot of times those subwoofers blow because they are driven with an amplifier that has a dirty signal or in other words the amplifier is over driven and clips because it’s being asked to produce power that it cannot do. When an amplifier clips it’s signal it goes from an alternating current to more of a direct current. This causes the voice could within the subwoofer to overheat and it fails. This can happen to a $500 subwoofer as much as a $50 subwoofer. Granted, the $500 subwoofer is going to last longer and take more abuse but over time it will subdue to the dirty signal from an overdriven amplifier too. Now it’s also possible to blow a subwoofer with too much power but not as much as you would think. There are many people here who use amplifiers that can make 150% more power than the speaker can use but they set the gain on the amplifier so that the speaker only gets what it actually needs. This method ensures no clipping can happen and you get good solid clean power with room to spare for those big transient peaks during music that a less powerful amp might not have. On music power alone, the actual power going into the voice coil is less and most voice coils can take short bursts of power that is much greater than their RMS rating.

Now I do not actually have experience with the Jenson subwoofer, but because it’s sold by Crutchfield, and it is backed up by thier 60 day return policy, I feel pretty good about recommending it. It’s ts perimeters look good and the reviews are good. Crutchfield doesn’t doctor their reviews like many places do and they won’t carry a product for long if its unreliable and customers are always returning it. If you provide your amplifier with the right sized oxygen free copper power and ground cables and set your gains right and build a proper box for that subwoofer; I would bet it will sound much better than it’s price suggests. The Rockford Fosgate subwoofer is pretty much a guaranteed success too so long as you give it good clean power, don’t abuse it, and build it a good proper box. If you do not feel comfortable building your own ported box than one of their pre fabricated boxes are ok but try and get one that is on the larger end of the recommended volume with a tune that is at least as low as 35 Hz. Crutchfield sells one that is 1.4 cubes tuned to 35 Hz that I know sounds good because I own it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of times those subwoofers blow because they are driven with an amplifier that has a dirty signal or in other words the amplifier is over driven and clips because it’s being asked to produce power that it cannot do. When an amplifier clips it’s signal it goes from an alternating current to more of a direct current. This causes the voice could within the subwoofer to overheat and it fails. This can happen to a $500 subwoofer as much as a $50 subwoofer. Granted, the $500 subwoofer is going to last longer and take more abuse but over time it will subdue to the dirty signal from an overdriven amplifier too. Now it’s also possible to blow a subwoofer with too much power but not as much as you would think. There are many people here who use amplifiers that can make 150% more power than the speaker can use but they set the gain on the amplifier so that the speaker only gets what it actually needs. This method ensures no clipping can happen and you get good solid clean power with room to spare for those big transient peaks during music that a less powerful amp might not have. On music power alone, the actual power going into the voice coil is less and most voice coils can take short bursts of power that is much greater than their RMS rating.

Now I do not actually have experience with the Jenson subwoofer, but because it’s sold by Crutchfield, and it is backed up by thier 60 day return policy, I feel pretty good about recommending it. It’s ts perimeters look good and the reviews are good. Crutchfield doesn’t doctor their reviews like many places do and they won’t carry a product for long if its unreliable and customers are always returning it. If you provide your amplifier with the right sized oxygen free copper power and ground cables and set your gains right and build a proper box for that subwoofer; I would bet it will sound much better than it’s price suggests. The Rockford Fosgate subwoofer is pretty much a guaranteed success too so long as you give it good clean power, don’t abuse it, and build it a good proper box. If you do not feel comfortable building your own ported box than one of their pre fabricated boxes are ok but try and get one that is on the larger end of the recommended volume with a tune that is at least as low as 35 Hz. Crutchfield sells one that is 1.4 cubes tuned to 35 Hz that I know sounds good because I own it.
you recommended me a rockford fostage ps1s4 (10 inch), do you think than the same
model but 12 inches would also do the trick? both the 10 and the 12 inches subs are 250watts RMS and both 4 ohms, stay small or go big? also, i would have to buil a good box (and that box have to fit in a chevy spark). soooo what do you think? hahahaha. thank you so much for your help

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Save for a bit longer and get a Dayton HO 10-12”. You’re going to get something that’s 2-3X better than most “Car Audio” Branded Subwoofers.... if you buy some low budget pile of crap you’ll be wishing you saved a bit longer. Same as the amp.

For another $150 more than what you’re looking at spending right now, you’re going to get a really nice sub and a half decent amp.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
you recommended me a rockford fostage ps1s4 (10 inch), do you think than the same
model but 12 inches would also do the trick? both the 10 and the 12 inches subs are 250watts RMS and both 4 ohms, stay small or go big? also, i would have to buil a good box (and that box have to fit in a chevy spark). soooo what do you think? hahahaha. thank you so much for your help
This depends on what you want? I have both a 10” Alpine SWS and 12” Alpine SWS and the 12 does get a little bit louder but requires a bigger box to do it vs the 10. I prefer the 10 myself because Alpine uses the same motor on the 10 as the 12 and therefore the 10 ‘s specifications are better for a ported box so to me the 10 sounds better too. This may or may not be the case with the Rockford.

So to conclude, if it were me and I had a small car such as yours and I care more about sound quality vs SPL than I would get the 10” and put it in the most ideal size box you can and tuned for a daily tune of around 33 Hz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts