DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2803 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I haven't read the manual yet (that'd be like pulling over to ask for directions) but I have noticed that if I push "band" while playing music from my iPod it does pause and unpause. I have much to learn but I like what I see so far.
There are different things for the various sources so it does not supprise me that that worked out that way. :)

So how much would you guys pay for this deck?
I see its usually about $260 refurbished.
You guys would be willing to pay 300+ for it?
Just asking.
I sure wish Alpine would come out with something new like the 80prs.
Seems Alpine has gone down the pas 5 years. Even the local dealer ditched um.
I payed less then $300 for mine brand new. But I did pay $250 iirc for my second one that was slightly used. Some of that was for shipping even if it was included in the price and with todays shipping prices that probably puts the actuall price around $230.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think he's asking what everyone thinks it's WORTH.

Like... if they increased the price would you still think it's worth it?

I just put an old P800PRS in last night. I missed this thing. Wish they styled the 80 like this. Motorized face. OM NOM NOM.

·
Registered
93 Posts
IMHO it's worth every penny of the MSRP. I got mine NEW from Amazon for $260; I placed the order Sunday and installed the radio yesterday. When I read some of the reviews I think some of the reviewers need to keep in mind this is a purpose built SQ deck. If you're looking for every feature on the market (i.e. Sat/HD radio, changer controls, etc) this probably isn't the deck for you. If, on the other hand, all you're really interested in is very high quality audio and Bluetooth connectivity, then this is the deck for you.

Here's where the deck makes its money IMO.
  • 3 Burr-Brown DACs
  • 28 bit floating DSP processor
  • 4 layer circuit board with the power and ground traces on the internal traces
  • 3 way Network mode (fully active crossover with adjustable frequency, slope, and phase)
  • Auto EQ
  • Auto Time Alignment
  • 3 sets of 5v pre-outs
These features alone put the deck into the $400 price range when you compare it to many other decks on the market; at $260 it's highway robbery. 3 years ago (yes I know that was a while ago) I paid $180 for my KDC-X494, there is more than $80 worth of features between the two; again, I know that's an old deck at this point, but I think it illustrates my point.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Just asking.
In all honesty, I wouldn't buy the DEH-80PRS again. While it does offer useful tuning options, being left with less than stock features is kind of annoying. The Bluetooth is utterly useless on my deck, for streaming or hands free. At least I got used to the beep, just in time to look for a replacement.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It may be worth looking into updating the bluetooth version on your phone or the one on the deck. In the hidden menu on the deck (source off, hold down mc) you can view the BT version you have. I say this because mine works fine, but after rooting my android and accidentally messing with bluetooth version i had issues. A couple flashes and reboots and everything is fine. Though I rarely use my phone for anything but calls through this deck, I loaded up a sd card with wav files and mostly use that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
IMHO it's worth every penny of the MSRP...
I would have to agree with this statement.

Now, that said. I do really like my 80PRS but if you took that unit and made a few changes. Try and fit it in between the 80prs and the 99rs, so...

Still 2-way + sub
31 band L/R EQ
Few extra XO points for those fullranger guys.
A higher quality faceplate (ie: nicer buttons and knob, make it feel/look like the 99rs)
Add That cool remote from the 99rs
and finally Fix a few small complaints of the 80prs, such as that beep and whatever

I think an MSRP Of $650-700, maybe even up around 8. With an amazon price bringing in $500-600ish. This would be prefect for..."ME"

·
Registered
709 Posts

Now, that said. I do really like my 80PRS but if you took that unit and made a few changes. Try and fit it in between the 80prs and the 99rs, so...

Still 2-way + sub
31 band L/R EQ
A higher quality faceplate (ie: nicer buttons and knob, make it feel like the 99rs)
and Fix a few small complaints of the 80prs

I think an MSRP Of $650-700, maybe even up around 8. With an amazon price bringing in $500-600ish. This would be prefect for..."ME"
It's funny you mention this, because I have a wild prediction (based on no hard facts) that Pioneer might release a deck, let's call it a 88PRS at next year's CES. This would have many of the features you list, plus a copper chassis, MAP at 800-850, cutting the range between the 80PRS and the 99PRS.

My amateur basis: the 880PRS was followed by the 800PRS two years, which had some stylistic improvements (including a copper chassis), and they could market it as a name successor to the DEX-M88 (anyone remember that deck?).

Again...I don't work for Pioneer, have no insight into their company, no idea how well their car audio line sells, but given what I can see in the market, it's what I would do. As other source unit manufacturers have altered their strategy, there's still a small (shrinking?) market for active capable, quality decks. The window is closing, as eventually all the manufacturers will switch to making OEM interface or firmware upgrade business when it's not feasible to easily do a deck replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

Still 2-way + sub
31 band L/R EQ
A higher quality faceplate (ie: nicer buttons and knob, make it feel/look like the 99rs)
and finally Fix a few small complaints of the 80prs, such as that beep and whatever

Bringing a deck to bridge the gap between the P80 and the P99 wouldn't be a good marketing choice to make - Pioneer is selling quite a few P99 not only because of its features and ability to do a 3-way+sub system, it's also due to the fact that there's nothing in between it and the P80 in their line-up...

My opinion

Kelvin

·
Registered
285 Posts
Will be nice to get a head unit to bridge the gap between the P99 and 80prs wrt features and looks. I'm not too keen on the look of the 80prs but heck, how often do I look at it?

And will be very nice if the case for the faceplate can actually fit the faceplate in it.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Bringing a deck to bridge the gap between the P80 and the P99 wouldn't be a good marketing choice to make - Pioneer is selling quite a few P99 not only because of its features and ability to do a 3-way+sub system, it's also due to the fact that there's nothing in between it and the P80 in their line-up...

My opinion

Kelvin
While I do agree to some degree, I can definitely see a place for something that falls between the DEH-80PRS and the DEX-P99RS. Why? Look at Pioneers lineup below the 80PRS. 11 head units within $190 of each other. Some units with only $10 difference and only one or maybe two features separating them! I understand that the low end is where the market is, but surely there is room between a $420 MSRP head unit and a $1350 MSRP head unit.

Also keep in mind that there are now a total of one, ONE place to buy the DEX-P99RS on US soil. All of those Pioneer dealers out there have no "high end" recourse from Pioneer to compete against the competition's processors. I think finding a happy medium would be pretty simple for Pioneer. Heck, just through some 99 build quality at the 80 functionality with a couple little tweaks like stockley.rod mentioned and you'd have a head unit dealers could market to the SQ guys all day long. Throw in non-SQ features like HD and SAT radio and you have an even broader audience and more justification for the higher price.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
316 Posts

My opinion

Kelvin
Agreed 100%. It's probably unreasonable to produce such a unit from a marketing/sales stand point. From a consumer stand point, too much is just as bad or worse than not enough (ie: paradox of choice). Then again, I really have no idea how many head units pioneer sells but I do feel that the "SQ" community is dwindling.

For me, the 80prs will be a logical stepping stone. I purchased the 80PRS with the intent of running a simple active setup for a little while. Having learned and became comfortable with the tuning process, I can then use this unit as a good starting point to feed a more advanced external DSP.

I understand the all-in-one mentality but I am surprised that the 99RS sells as well as they do. The CD & iPod output of an 80PRS measures just as well as the 99RS, so when paired with an external DSP such as the DSP-Z8 it becomes a more intuitive system with greater tuning capabilitie and its still cheaper than a 99RS. Hell, throw in a Dayton measurement mic for the purpose of tuning and it is still quite a bit cheaper.

Just my thoughts on the topic, I think pioneer has done pretty good with the 80PRS and it is deff worth the money.

Edit: Just looking at some numbers...
80PRS - ~$300
80PRS+DSP-Z8 - ~$300+550 = $850
99RS ~$1300

From strictly a DSP "power" view point, pretty easy choice for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had some more "use" time with this deck now and I have a couple questions/observations. First, while I love that I can pick colors that match my vehicles color scheme, if you pick blue for the display it become USELESS in sunlight, so it would be cool if you could set one color when the dimmer is off and another color when the dimmer is on (headlights on/off). Also, I will say that I liked the menu layout of my Kenwood better than this radio, but it's by no means a sales stopper, I can still adjust everything I want to, it's just a bit more convoluted in my opinion. Next, to those that are annoyed with the beep, I have to ask, does it come out through your speakers or just from the deck? If I am playing music at any normal level I cannot hear the beep at all so I'm having a hard time seeing it as an annoyance. I'd still like to be able to select a source without having to scroll through the entire list of sources, but I'm sure I'll adjust to that too. All in all I'd say this deck hit all the right marks from a SQ stand-point, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Just asking.
I'd feel comfortable paying up to $400 for it. What other deck (beside the 99rs) comes even close to this stereo?

·
Registered
604 Posts
ye ai got one 6 mo after it was ut $329 and worth every penny.. throw in a 4 way and better x/o or more x/o points and i'd drop 400-500 on it.

wonder what op amps they use int he output sections>> BIKINI?? and what they did on the board pretty clean unit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ye ai got one 6 mo after it was ut $329 and worth every penny.. throw in a 4 way and better x/o or more x/o points and i'd drop 400-500 on it.

wonder what op amps they use int he output sections>> BIKINI?? and what they did on the board pretty clean unit.
For me I don't really care for the amp built into the deck. I know that doesn't work for everybody but I prefer the sound from a good class A/B amp. My Kenwood was rated at something like 17 or 22 watts of "real" power and it couldn't drive a set of RF 6.5" components. I picked up an old Kenwood 4x50 amp and the RF's came to life. In my opinion (please keep in mind, just my opinion) internal deck amplifiers should only be used for factory speakers. anything more than that is worth an external amp.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Does anyone have some idea when the onboard amp would start clipping?

2 channels driving 1" tweeters
2 channels driving 6.5 woofers (90+ db sensitivity)

Using 0db test tones?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have had my 80PRS for about 6 months? maybe a little less and so far i love it the only issues i have is that they put the mic hole in a rotten place cutting the screen real estate down. They could have put it at the lower left part of the volume knob to the left of source and made the screen a LOT bigger. Also source selection should be on the paddle or something other than a button for a head unit with so many options. Other than that the unit is incredible, best head unit I have ever owned.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does anyone have some idea when the onboard amp would start clipping?

2 channels driving 1" tweeters
2 channels driving 6.5 woofers (90+ db sensitivity)

Using 0db test tones?
the speakers don't determine when the amp starts clipping. I think at max wattage @ 4 ohms the manual had the thd @ 10

·
Registered
93 Posts
the speakers don't determine when the amp starts clipping. I think at max wattage @ 4 ohms the manual had the thd @ 10
The manual lists the power, in accordance with CEA 2006 specifications, at 14w RMS x 4 channels (4 ohm and no more than 1% THD+N). I did not see a listing for maximum power output.

2061 - 2080 of 2803 Posts