DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 2803 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anybody managed to go 3 way active plus subs yet? I've just bought some Sinfoni S series 3 ways for the front but want to keep my Genesis P69's in the rear shelf for a little extra bass. I'd like to keep it i Network mode if possible?Also the Sinfoni's don't come with any crossovers.

Any ideas how I can get around this would be a massive help as I'm installing it in a couple weeks.

Amps are Genesis Four Channel and Genesis Dual Mono.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anybody managed to go 3 way active plus subs yet? I've just bought some Sinfoni S series 3 ways for the front but want to keep my Genesis P69's in the rear shelf for a little extra bass. I'd like to keep it i Network mode if possible?Also the Sinfoni's don't come with any crossovers.

Any ideas how I can get around this would be a massive help as I'm installing it in a couple weeks.

Amps are Genesis Four Channel and Genesis Dual Mono.

Cheers Dave
Dave,

I'm using a 4 channel amp for my low freq, it has the ability to take the input from channel A and pass it on to the B channel. I hope to do it something like this :
LP Filter on head unit at 250 Hz to amp channel A, HP Filter on at 80 Hz.
LP Filter on channel B at 80 Hz.

I hope that makes sense and my thinking is sound (pun intended).

It will probably mess up my TA and EQ doing it like that though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dave,

I'm using a 4 channel amp for my low freq, it has the ability to take the input from channel A and pass it on to the B channel. I hope to do it something like this :
LP Filter on head unit at 250 Hz to amp channel A, HP Filter on at 80 Hz.
LP Filter on channel B at 80 Hz.

I hope that makes sense and my thinking is sound (pun intended).

It will probably mess up my TA and EQ doing it like that though.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look at something similar cheers.

Thats the other thing I wanted to ask! How will I get around the TA and EQ by doing this? I'm sure someone mentioned having the tweeter & mid close together (or mid/mid...cant remember what was said now)

Is it possible to go 3 way front active on these or only 2way plus subs?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
3 way front OR 2 way plus sub. I am doing the 3 way plus sub now, and if wreaks havoc kn your TA, eq is eq, but the TA is the hardest part. I am strongly considering going back to a 2 way plus sub.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
The only way to get around it is getting an external dsp, or getting an amp with ta settings built in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
3 way front OR 2 way plus sub. I am doing the 3 way plus sub now, and if wreaks havoc kn your TA, eq is eq, but the TA is the hardest part. I am strongly considering going back to a 2 way plus sub.
Thanks, ill keep an eye out here to see how you get on :)

I've probably got this all wrong and trying to simplify things, but what I thought was run 3 way front then use the HU's rear speaker outputs for the subs. I don't think this'll work though.

In network mode, if all rca outputs are used, what happens to the front & rear HU speaker outputs that aren't connected to anything? (Probably confusing myself now!!)

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Actually, I've wondered the same myself

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

I've probably got this all wrong and trying to simplify things, but what I thought was run 3 way front then use the HU's rear speaker outputs for the subs. I don't think this'll work though.

In network mode, if all rca outputs are used, what happens to the front & rear HU speaker outputs that aren't connected to anything? (Probably confusing myself now!!)

The manual recommends not to use both the internal amp and the RCA's at the same time.

Since I am running a 3 way plus sub setup with mine and I needed to buy amps I just bought Zapco DC ref amps to gain the extra channels of TA.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
You can leave the internal amp on without any negative impact to the unit, in case you need it. Sound is cleaner with it switched off though. Nominal difference but its there.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

In network mode the front and rear speaker wires act just like the rca's. The rear speaker wires become the HIGH and the fronts become the MID. So any eq, ta, level, or xo that you apply to the matching rca's will also be applied to the speaker wires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In network mode the front and rear speaker wires act just like the rca's. The rear speaker wires become the HIGH and the fronts become the MID. So any eq, ta, level, or xo that you apply to the matching rca's will also be applied to the speaker wires.
Thanks, thats cleared that up for me :)

So would this work in Network Mode?

Tweeters= High RCA
4" Dash mids= Front speaker wires MID
6.5" Door Mids= Mid RCA
6x9 Subs= Low RCA

Not sure about the Auto TA & EQ though, might be ok if I mounted the 4" mids closer to the door speakers but I was thinking about maybe having them fitted by a shop with the tweeters in some nice custom dash pods :confused:

I don't think this is going to work :(

·
Premium Member
9,169 Posts
You would be better off running whichever two speakers are closest together off of the same output channels (low/mid/high) because of time alignment. The problem is, those would probably be your "dash mids" and tweeters and the high crossover point doesn't go all that low on the DEH-80PRS.

I really think you are trying too hard to make the head unit do something it was never designed or intended to do.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks, thats cleared that up for me :)

So would this work in Network Mode?

Tweeters= High RCA
4" Dash mids= Front speaker wires MID
6.5" Door Mids= Mid RCA
6x9 Subs= Low RCA

Not sure about the Auto TA & EQ though, might be ok if I mounted the 4" mids closer to the door speakers but I was thinking about maybe having them fitted by a shop with the tweeters in some nice custom dash pods :confused:

I don't think this is going to work :(

It would be the exact same as running the 4's and 6.5's off of a 4 channel amp. What ever you adjust/set for the mid channels will equally affect both the 4's and 6.5's. You would need to have some, external from the HU, way to cross between the 4's and the 6.5's. Then you run into TA issues since any TA applied to the mid channels will affect both of them. Level adjustments too could and most likely would be an issue as well.

For me I am running my 3's and my 8's off of my mid out rca's. I am feeding the mid channel rca's to two amps that have built in processing. So I am using the HU's mid out xo at 50hz for the HPF and 6.3k hz for the LPF. But my 3's are ony playing from 6.3k down to 200hz where the 8's take over and go down to 50hz. In order to separate them I am using each of their amps built in processing to cross them at 200hz in both directions. Since my 3's are in my pillars and my 8's are in my doors I have path length differnces bwteen the 3's and the 8's with the 3's being closer to me then the 8's. So I am using the 3" speakers amp to TA them to the 8's. Then any TA I make to the mid channels in the HU are applied to both the 3's and the 8's equally.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The manual recommends not to use both the internal amp and the RCA's at the same time.
The manual states that if the internal amp is not being used, it is recommended to disable it to reduce noise. There's no issue using both, and it works as 07azhhr posted.

Attachments

2161 - 2180 of 2803 Posts