DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 2803 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Oh, and how is it cumbersome to use the sub level? Is it that you have to cycle through other functions to get to it?
Minimum of 2 presses on the volume knob then you can adjust with the lever. As for Android compatibility, it will do phone operations just fine, bluetooth works but without song info, and usb connection presents as removable storage.

·
Premium Member
9,141 Posts
The double dins just don't seem to be marketed for SQ. Never a mention of anything of those sorts, at least that I can find. A double din would be better in this install as it is a Lexus LS400. A big sedan. A backup camera would sure be nice. Are there any known models to look at? Alpine? Kenwood? Pioneer?
Most of the best SQ cars in the world are not using a DEH-80PRS as their source. You're more likely to see OE head units, stand alone media players direct to a DSP, DD head unit from one of the big names, and in some cases the Sony RSX-GS9. If you're interested in an aftermarket DD for the feature sets they offer, there are decent options at varying prices from all of the brands you mentioned. I might throw Sony into that mix as well. I would recommend reading reviews on sites like this one and some of the better FB groups if you find a unit that "checks all of the boxes." There have been some instances that something that looks great on paper hasn't been up to par in the real world. And you'll rarely see that info in a review on sites like Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix or Amazon.

Oh, and how is it cumbersome to use the sub level? Is it that you have to cycle through other functions to get to it?
ckirocz28 is correct. A minimum of two button pushes to get to the level control if it is the last place you navigated to within the menu structure. More if it was not the last place.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just bought one either way. If I don't use it in my Lexus, I will save it for my 46 Harvester. Would be perfect for the system I plan on using in it. Will take a look at the double dins as well. My issue is my eyes suck these days. Just did a nice Kenwood double din in my son's Lexus. Half the time I can't read it with the sun or if I'm driving. But at night, it sure is sweet.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just bought one either way. If I don't use it in my Lexus, I will save it for my 46 Harvester. Would be perfect for the system I plan on using in it. Will take a look at the double dins as well. My issue is my eyes suck these days. Just did a nice Kenwood double din in my son's Lexus. Half the time I can't read it with the sun or if I'm driving. But at night, it sure is sweet.

A lot of the Kenwood units that aren't touchsreen have a lot of complaints about visibility in sun. I've had a few the past couple years and can vouch for this, although for me it wasn't that big a deal.

If you want something to use for your new system with your DSP 408, I can share my experience. I'm using an Alpine iLX-207 in the system I have with my DSP 408. At first, I didn't think I liked the sound of the Alpine, but at the time, I didn't have the DSP installed and was running it through Infinity Kappa 6.5" coax.

Then I installed the DSP and, at the same time, replaced those Infinity's with Pioneer TS-Z65CH components. I really like the sound now and my assumption is it must be the components that are responsible for the improvement as I doubt the DSP itself is imparting any color on the sound. But one really never knows how different pieces will interact.

In any case, I'm very happy now with the Alpine iLX-207 and it has all the features anyone could want. Just make sure you purchase the dongle that gets wired in so you can access the settings while driving. Google "Alpline bypass".

Lastly, I wish I knew you were ready to by the 80PRS. I have one BNIB that I'm considering selling. I had bought/kept an extra one thinking I'd use it in another build, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now as I'll have no time in the foreseeable future to do anything like that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm sure you will, or can that is, sell it. I just got mine for $240 BNIB. Assuming I get what was described, feel it was a fair price. Have not really paid attention to selling prices these days. Or what they normally go for on the internet.

·
Premium Member
9,141 Posts
ckirocz28 is correct. A minimum of two button pushes to get to the level control if it is the last place you navigated to within the menu structure. More if it was not the last place.
Correction. It is three presses on the large Multi-Control button and then adjusting the level with the Lever if you are in Network mode. Again this assumes that you were already in the AUDIO\NETWORK 2\ menu and had already selected to work with the Low LPF Filter options in the AUDIO\NETWORK 1\ menu.

In Standard Mode it takes two presses of the M.C. button and then adjustmen by the Lever. This is only if the last menu you were in is AUDIO\SW2.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Correction. It is three presses on the large Multi-Control button and then adjusting the level with the Lever if you are in Network mode. Again this assumes that you were already in the AUDIO\NETWORK 2\ menu and had already selected to work with the Low LPF Filter options in the AUDIO\NETWORK 1\ menu.

In Standard Mode it takes two presses of the M.C. button and then adjustmen by the Lever. This is only if the last menu you were in is AUDIO\SW2.
You are correct. I didn't even notice the difference when I switched to network mode, my bad.

·
Premium Member
9,141 Posts
You are correct. I didn't even notice the difference when I switched to network mode, my bad.
No reason for a "my bad." I was actually correcting myself. :D

I don't think this head unit is got optical out or am I wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
No. There are very few head units with optical out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's for far, the most advance single DIN in the market. We do have it available at our store Onlinecarstereo.com in Los Angeles.
Every time it comes to our stock, it lasts few days only. It's super popular.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The double dins just don't seem to be marketed for SQ. Never a mention of anything of those sorts, at least that I can find. A double din would be better in this install as it is a Lexus LS400. A big sedan. A backup camera would sure be nice. Are there any known models to look at? Alpine? Kenwood? Pioneer?
For double-din SQ, consider the Kenwood DDX9904s (older) or the current DDX9905s. The SQ is excellent with the newer Kenwood DD units with strong internal DSP functions.

·
Premium Member
9,141 Posts
It's for far, the most advance single DIN in the market. We do have it available at our store Onlinecarstereo.com in Los Angeles.
Every time it comes to our stock, it lasts few days only. It's super popular.
Most advanced? In what way?

I have had mine since it was released and still use it every day. It is far from the most advanced. For DSP tuning at the price point it is great, but the DEX-P99RS is far superior. And as far as features outside of tuning, the DEH-80PRS is well behind the times.

If you're going to create an account just to shill for your company without paying vendor fees, at least provide more accurate information.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Anyone else find that the SW/Low rca out lacks impact? I just tried getting my SW signal from the Rear rca (routing in MiniDSP) instead of the SW rca and found all of the impact and clarity I've been missing from my sub. I just though my hatch was losing more and more structural integrity, but no, my SW rca from the head unit was not delivering it. Anyone else had this problem? I'm running in Standard mode to facilitate flexibility in the MiniDSP.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Auto tuning behavior.
When I run the auto tune the 80PRS always sets my sub low pass to 80Hz 12db/octave, and my midwoofers high pass to 100Hz 12db/octave. It also set my subwoofer delay to 400cm (max distance) but my sub distance is only 150cm. I wonder if the 80PRS set this long distance trying to compensate for the phase issue caused by the 12db/octave xover?
After reading audiofrogs simple tuning guide I entered measured distances and changed the sub/mid xover to 24db/octave at 63/80Hz. This substantially increased the lowbass output.
So I advice anyone using the autotune and missing lowbass try something similar.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Auto tuning behavior.
When I run the auto tune the 80PRS always sets my sub low pass to 80Hz 12db/octave, and my midwoofers high pass to 100Hz 12db/octave. It also set my subwoofer delay to 400cm (max distance) but my sub distance is only 150cm. I wonder if the 80PRS set this long distance trying to compensate for the phase issue caused by the 12db/octave xover?
After reading audiofrogs simple tuning guide I entered measured distances and changed the sub/mid xover to 24db/octave at 63/80Hz. This substantially increased the lowbass output.
So I advice anyone using the autotune and missing lowbass try something similar.
As great as Pioneers fully active single dins have been over the years, their auto tune has never been excellent. It can be a good place to start, but I've had to make adjustments every time I've used it. After learning how to tune better, I stopped using it altogether, but it can get you in the ballpark quickly, which is great for someone either new to tuning, or less interested in the tuning process. I always found that auto tune set the tweeters too high as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes I also always had to lower the tweeters. It would be nice if it was possible to see what the auto eq actually does...

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Yes I also always had to lower the tweeters. It would be nice if it was possible to see what the auto eq actually does...
You can take frequency response measurements of each side before and after the auto tune, but I agree, it would be nice to see on the display what the auto tune has adjusted.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
One issue, for this page, the iPod function. If you select artists, it only plays the artist you select it won't play al, artists, same with albums.
I think you need to choose songs to play all songs but I will only play them in alphabetical order. The issue basically is limited, same for a play list, only plays that list over and over it won't go to the next one, it's annoying and the reason I use USB sticks cause it will play every folder as it was created.
Maybe there is something I'm overlooking but so far I am not a fan of Apple I device playback with this HU

2781 - 2800 of 2803 Posts