DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

516K views 3K replies 346 participants last post by  lurch 
#1 ·
It's out! The head unit (at least) I was waiting for.
$420 MSRP (destined to be pegged somewhere around CDA-117 money when it's out for sale)
28-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP and 3-Way Digital Network (WITHOUT a processor)
5V preouts
Burr-Brown 24-bit D/A Converters
Bluetooth, iPod direct,
L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer
Time Alignment
Pandora
Wired Remote Input
SD/SDHC Memory Card Slot
Full Dot LCD Display (192 x 48 pixels, 3-line)

FULLY LOADED. AND HOW!!?!!?!

I am very excited about this unit. What say guys?

#2 ·
Great, that sounds like the earlier P-80rs except that you can now do 3way+sub. I'm sure they improved the interface capability as well, cause that was one weakness of the older one. Atleast for those who stream music. I wish they had made it 31 bands on the eq. 16 was spread a bit thin over 3 drivers a side. It would be thinner over 4.

Just going by Bings thread on CES, seems like Alpine did a good enough job killing the 117. Very little, if any of the dsp got carried to the replacement model.

#13 ·
Great, that sounds like the earlier P-80rs except that you can now do 3way+sub. I'm sure they improved the interface capability as well, cause that was one weakness of the older one. Atleast for those who stream music. I wish they had made it 31 bands on the eq. 16 was spread a bit thin over 3 drivers a side. It would be thinner over 4.

Just going by Bings thread on CES, seems like Alpine did a good enough job killing the 117. Very little, if any of the dsp got carried to the replacement model.
Sounded like it was 2way plus sub to me...

#9 ·
Looks like the Clarion only has 5 band EQ vs. the 16 band on the Pioneer. Given their price points, it's not like the two are head to head competitors but still...

I do like how the Clarion has the BT mic built in. Makes it super easy for install.

I like the Pioneer's looks more but honestly, it's still not even that nice looking. The p99 has it all but is nearly 3x the price.

#204 · (Edited)
Looks like the Clarion only has 5 band EQ vs. the 16 band on the Pioneer. Given their price points, it's not like the two are head to head competitors but still...

I do like how the Clarion has the BT mic built in. Makes it super easy for install.

I like the Pioneer's looks more but honestly, it's still not even that nice looking. The p99 has it all but is nearly 3x the price.
Parametric EQ?... that was non issue with my Clarion 785usb that I bought as a backup deck for the price (after my Pio 880 got jacked).
I just said hey, if I can get this 785usb to sound decent -I'd be happy... and what do yah know, I got spoiled with the usb!...
I barely played with the parametric eq on that deck... And remember when we RTA'd it at the BikiniQ -and it came out damn near perfect on the first run? :laugh:

Sure it's no DRZ9255 but,
If this new Clarion CZ702 deck has the same EQ capabilities as the 785usb, then I'd give it a whirl at that price... Love to see a modernized DRZ flagship from Clarion though...
that's been said enough!

#16 ·
#15 ·
Does the pico fuse issue even apply to the premier series of decks???

#1,870 ·
Well no seeing that there is no longer a Premier line offered by Pioneer, not since 2009. Though if you're talking past tense than I would think probably it is the same company after all.

#19 ·
It's out! The head unit (at least) I was waiting for.
$420 MSRP (destined to be pegged somewhere around CDA-117 money when it's out for sale)
28-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP and 3-Way Digital Network (WITHOUT a processor)
5V preouts
Burr-Brown 24-bit D/A Converters
Bluetooth, iPod direct,
L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer
Time Alignment
Pandora
Wired Remote Input
SD/SDHC Memory Card Slot
Full Dot LCD Display (192 x 48 pixels, 3-line)

FULLY LOADED. AND HOW!!?!!?!

I am very excited about this unit. What say guys?

It seems this unit is geared towards the SQ & competition users. So it seems Pioneer removed the IP-Buss connector & circuit to reduce cost. So no sat radio & changer capability.

#31 · (Edited)
It seems this unit is geared towards the SQ & competition users. So it seems Pioneer removed the IP-Buss connector & circuit to reduce cost. So no sat radio & changer capability.
I would guess if we could have a rep from Pioneer speak on this they would say that this is simply a modern DEH-P800PRS for the North American market. The segment that wants a 3-way capable deck at a MUCH cheaper price than the STAGE 4 P99. I'm sure the majority that bought the P880/P800PRS decks DID NOT buy a CD changer and SAT RADIO module. I'm sure the iPod interface ruled in sales. So, I think it makes sense to pull out the less popular options and features like a copper plated chassis, etc... but add the ones that the MAJORITY wants but yet get the price down as cheap as possible for this market...I'm sure our(dealers/consumers) feedback asked for this.

The new pioneer felt cheap. The volume button and the whole front display for that matter. Not my cup of tea for sure
Not hard to believe at all....even though most of us have yet to see it....the design looks very "entry level" in the photos. Looks aside, I like some of the built in features vs. 800PRS.

^^yeah, accept I actually use a cd changer and not a smartphone. So like I said 'for me' it's a negative.
I would think CD changer sales are WAAAY down. Guys like yourself should hold on to what you have now ...for as long as you can! If a CD changer is important to you and you MUST have a new deck...make the low cost DEH-P9400BH or high cost DEX-P99RS work for you!

I am also sad to see IP bus go, so much for my Pioneer XM unit.
Again, why should this new deck be a negative and why does your XM unit have to go away? Just keep what you already have for as long as you can! If XM radio is important to you and you MUST have a NEW deck then make the low cost DEH-P9400BH or high cost DEX-P99RS work for you!

Is the glass half empty or half full?

It is impossible to please everyone but I would bet we (North America) asked for the DEH-80PRS...my guess is we complained about the price of the 800PRS and wanted a 4-way for that kind of money. Also, I would guess the average buyer of a 800PRS has either an iPod/iPhone or a smartphone or both...so that is the direction this new deck takes...or assumes. So....I guess Pioneer said..."Let me tell you something....we are not making a low cost 4-way deck! If you want it all....either put up or shut up as we have the 4-way capable P99 available to the USA as well as a very capable 3-way yet $180 lower MSRP than the last gen deck available for the USA." What other company offers these TWO options right now here in 2012?

As far as the PICO Fuse issue....we have all read enough posts to know that some have it and some have NOT had it to date....and the 880PRS released back in what....'06?

#21 ·
Well it really should not be, the unit is bluetooth capable. With that option you have access to more media via your smartphone! Iheart radio "FREE" seems to be the hot pick over sat radio these days. Then the memory card in your phone replaces the CD changer. Smart move on Pioneers part to capitalize on that technology to save the end user some $$$$.

#22 ·
The new pioneer felt cheap. The volume button and the whole front display for that matter. Not my cup of tea for sure

#28 ·
I like the look of the new Kenwod units and theyve always been a great choice for video units with alot of features and a good price point, but SQ wise I have yet to find one that was transparent
every Kenwood I have ever used and sold all had some coloration to the sound

#34 ·
Why the uncertainty? :confused:

"3-Way Digital Network: The DEH-80PRS features a 3-Way Digital Network, connecting (via three 5V RCA preouts) up to three external amplifiers, each dedicated to driving high-, mid- and low-frequency ranges, respectively. The result: more distinct separation of the three frequency ranges, for more full, natural sound realizing more of each speaker’s potential in a multi-speaker system."

#35 ·
To me this deck looks pretty sweet and might rival the 117 i have being sent to me. I like the look and the color change option which is a nit pick but i like it. pioneer's website doesn't clarify much, just says three way network. What's the chances they mean 3way+sub?

Does anybody know the release date? website just says spring of 2012. Someone said on here it felt cheap....really? thats a little discouraging. I for one am excited to check it out.

#42 · (Edited)
Pioneer's website doesn't clarify much, just says three way network. What's the chances they mean 3way+sub?
You are reaching.....read the post by t3sn4f2 above yours...Its a 3-way deck...I really don't see how they can be more clear.

Pioneer has been at this for awhile...here is the timeline for some of their DSP decks over the years... for those that might not know:

DEH-80PRS(2012)
3-Way Digital Network, connecting (via three 5V RCA preouts) up to three external amplifiers, each dedicated to driving high-, mid- and low-frequency ranges, respectively.

DEX-P99RS(2010)
The DEX-P99RS features a high-performance 32-Bit digital signal processor (DSP) that provides the signal processing power for dual (left and right) 31-band equalization, digital time alignment for all pre-amp outputs and a 4-way digital crossover network. A high-precision master clock, a total of four AKM 24-Bit DACs, linear technology high-slew rate op-amps, hi-volt preamp outputs (5V) X 4 and a direct digital signal path via USB complete the high performance hardware design.

DEH-P880PRS(2006), DEH-P800PRS(2008)
3-way digital crossover network
6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, and sub)

DEX-P9/DEQ-P9(2001)
4-Way Digital Network (High, Mid, Low, Sub)
Three 24-Bit D/A Converter for High, Mid, Low
One 1-Bit D/A Converter for Sub
Hi-Volt RCA Preouts (x4 pair) (High, Mid, Low, Sub)

DEX-P1R(1998)
Hi-Volt RCA Preouts (x3-way pair) (Front/Rear + Subwoofer) (4 Volt, <100 Ohm, Gold Plated)

ODR Optical Digital Reference(1994)
4-way digital crossover network
HPF, LPF, Level for: subwoofer, Low, Mid, High
http://184.173.80.203/~caraudio/ebay/equipment/manuals/pioneer_odr.pdf

#38 ·
This will be my next head unit. And while the lack of satellite radio or CD changer control may be a negative for some, it isn't for me. There are plenty of music sources in the form of iPhone apps. And you can rip quite a few CDs at a high quality to an SDHC card.

#39 ·
This will be my new headunit as. iPod (160GB Classic filled with 5000 songs ripped to Apple lossless) 90 % of the time, CD 5% of the time and Sports radio on AM 5% of the time. Personally I lost interest in cd changers the moment I got my first iPod, and XM when they started to lower the bitrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.