DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the differences between these? I have the PLs but not installed. been hearing alot of bad things about them so im thinking i should get something else. Ill be using with Maxfi tweets running active. Thanks

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Nothing wrong with Pl's. They are a bit of a warm, lush sound than some people prefer. The CA18RNX tends to be a bit more neutral sounding. You'll also get a bit more bass out of the CA18 and it will play a bit higher.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would go with the CA18. I have used PL's and MaxFi tweets in an active 2-way before and the PL's don't mate well with the tweets. The tweets are too bright for the PL IMO. Something that has more presence in the upper midrange would be better suited for a MaxFi tweet.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the pl's just sound fat.

sloppy and fat :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you think that, try boosting around 100hz on the PL's. It cleans up the bottom end a little (actually a lot). PL's have a lot of low-end response, but above 80hz they start to slack!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope the Pls are better then the MA Audios i have in there now LOL, blew my IDcxs64 mid. I figure I will get the pl in there then get the CAs. that way it will fit when i get them.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Derek said:
the pl's just sound fat.

sloppy and fat :)
I agree with Derek, though the adjectives I'd use are "dark" and "veiled". I was never able to warm up to any of the PL-series woofers. In every case I've heard, the "classic line" equivalent (e.g. M10 for PL11, M18 for PL18) was markedly preferred over the PL woofer. The PL18's seem to have the same problems to my ears as the ScanSpeak 8545, another widely respected driver that I've never been able to stand.

Though I've not heard the CA18, I'm sure it's excellent. Of the 7" Seas midwoofers I have heard, the fiberglass-coned G18 is my clear favorite, but I've never heard the paper one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I will wait till those proto types are out before buying anything.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Casedot said:
If you think that, try boosting around 100hz on the PL's. It cleans up the bottom end a little (actually a lot). PL's have a lot of low-end response, but above 80hz they start to slack!
i had to hack 100hz down quite a bit to tame them down....it made them slightly more "punchy" but they just didn't quite "hit" for me....

round and rotund might be a better phrase :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Casedot said:
99StangGT said:
Think I will wait till those proto types are out before buying anything.
lol, i think a lot of people are gonna do the same thing. Npdang has his work cut out for him!!!
Not to put ANY pressure on him..........i hope he dosent let all of us anctious people out here down.....I'm really excited about that driver, i just hope i can afford it, Hopefully going to be able to pick up a pair of CA18RNX in the next week or so, at the latest 3 weeks and give them a try then upgrade after the proto's come out. Gonna get the CA18RNX to test the water out some....(this is my first install.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts