DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time since my last posts and 10 years since my last car audio build so need som advice regarding placement of two 6.5" subwoofers in a tiny sportscar. The car's a 2004 TVR T350C.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

I have on order a pair of Match pp72w-d woofers. If they don't turn up soon I might replace them with a pair of Sundown Audio SA6.5s. Both woofers use tiny enclosures both ported and even more so sealed.

The headunit is a Pioneer AVH7200dab. I am also using an older Zapco DSP8 and some Zapco ST4D 4ch amps. One amp will be bridged both front and rear to run the subs while the other will run my Seas Lotus reference speakers active in the doors

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Steering wheel

The subs/woofers will go in the rear hatch area. The questions is where in the hatch area? My initial plan was to fit them on the rear wall facing forward angled at half the angle of the rear screen. Approx where the dsp is in the below picture. The crappy 4" coaxials will be binned.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

However I also have a useless cargo area cover (more like a sloppy horisontal blind) that sits in a cover. So my second possible placement for the subs would be to replace the cargo cover and make an enclosure that sits direclty behind the seats. Subs could then be angled 45 degrees forward, up or 45 degrees back (not preferably backwards).

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

The difference in distance to my ears for these two positions is maybe 50cm.

I am only wanting a nice sounding system with a bit of kick to it for rock music. I might listen som rappers delight, but mainly rock.

What do you think would give the best output and or sound?

Attachments

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Maybe a down firing enclosure like this one? Lots of finishing/blending with the interior options, and you'll get some boundary loading to boost output.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a down firing enclosure like this one? Lots of finishing/blending with the interior options, and you'll get some boundary loading to boost output.

hmmmm, might be possible. I’ll have a look 👍
What distance would I need between the subwoofer and floor? Is the distance to the floor calculated to load the subwoofer or does the distance just need to be big enough not to interfere with the subwoofer mechanically or pneumatically?

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Not sure there's a formula, but as a general rule aim for 1-3 inches.
Lower excursion subs won't move as much air and won't need as much clearance to the surround, so they can get by with less.
High excursion subs will need more.

Reactions: Sonus

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a cool car. I've never seen a TVR in person but I never thought of them as tiny from the photos. Just how small is it, Corvette sized?
Quite a bit smaller than a corvette.It is less than 4m long, so 0.5m shorter! Smaller than an Mazda RX7FD aswell. About the same size as an Mk1 Toyota MR2. Fiberglass body on tubular frame.

· Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
3,687 Posts
Could use a tester box and take measurements in different positions to see where you get the best response. I'd be looking more for a wider responce VS output.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure there's a formula, but as a general rule aim for 1-3 inches.
Lower excursion subs won't move as much air and won't need as much clearance to the surround, so they can get by with less.
High excursion subs will need more.
I might be able to get 30mm clearance. Did some sketches using a 200mm radius half circle to mimick the luggage cover. It might actually let me use my Dayton HSS265HO-4 or IDQ10 instead of the puny 6.5s 😁👍
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I would do as someone mentioned above and throw a box together and see what sounds best. I would think if possible doing a single 10 would probably be the better option.

Always thought a up firing sub is best in a car with a hatch.

always been a TVR fan however we haven’t had any here in the states since the 60’s or 70’s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts