DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning ver. 2 of my minivan system and wonder if its better to have a long (8-10ft.) run of power and RCA cables with a short output length to the sub, or better to have a short run of power and RCA wires with a long run of output wire?

One puts the amp under my seat, the other waaay back near the liftgate area. Aesthetically, I'd prefer under the seat for this new version. I currently have the long power & RCA run (due to amp size) and have no noise issues.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I personally like to keep my amps hidden I am locating my amps on the back wall of my F150 and will have a short run of 8 ga speaker wire to my sub and 4+ runs of 12 ga speaker wire about 20-25 ft in length. I don't think that it really matters which you have the longer run, except for the grounds which I try to keep as short as possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I personally like to keep my amps hidden I am locating my amps on the back wall of my F150 and will have a short run of 8 ga speaker wire to my sub and 4+ runs of 12 ga speaker wire about 20-25 ft in length. I don't think that it really matters which you have the longer run, except for the grounds which I try to keep as short as possible.
I'd like to add, if you wish to avoid speaker whine, place the RCA's on some path to either location that does not pass by or anywhere near the factory harness at all!!!! I've learned this the hard way :d. IDK if that might help in your decision or not :confused:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
speaker wire is less likely to to induct noise than a low level signal.

so shorter RCAs and longer speaker wires would be better.

However, it might be better to place your amp somewhere that it won't get kicked/wet/dirty; you can overcome issues with noise if they ever show up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think its more frugal to go with shorter primary power and RCA runs and longer speaker wire runs. 10ga speaker wire is much cheaper than 4ga or larger power wire and RCAs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts