DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After read how awesome on dynamic of HLCD, I decide to go for it.

This is my plan equipment (except Midbass not bought yet)
Tweeter: Eric Mini Horn 2KHz+
Mid: PHL1120 6.5" (Audax PR170M0 cousin) 300Hz-2KHz in door locations.
Midbass: 12" 12P1000Nd 96dB 900Watts (only 1 under driver seat, 0.5Cuft custom fibergass.) 70-300Hz
Sub: 1 Dynaudio 12" E1200 in IB (or 2 if needed)
Helix DSP3
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Zapco DC1000.1

I might be able to put another 12P100Nd Midbass under passenger seat or his foot floor but I try to avoid more work.
Would 1 Midbass have enough output? Effect much if I could localize it with 70-300 Hz range?
Do I need 2 Subwoofers ?
Any system suggestion or comment please?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
A single midbass will be localizable.

The issue you’re going to have with a single sub, especially IB is that it won’t be able to keep up with your high-sensitivity horns. I’d recommend a pair of AE SBP15s, which are about the best IB subs on the market. You probably only need about 250-300 watts for each sub (500-600 total).

I have home theater speakers with horn-loaded compressions drivers (JTR 212 HTRs) and I love their detail and effortless output. I tell people that most speakers get unhappy when you turn them up too loud but with my speakers you’ll be unhappy before they will. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a home speaker that isn’t a compression driver since I can have my cake and eat it too in terms of output and exquisite quality.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Or Option 2
High: Eric Mini Horn 1.5KHz+
Midbass: 18Sound 6ND430 6.5" 120Hz-1.5KHz @Door locations
Sub: Illusion Audio C10XL @Under driver seat, Sealed Volume 0.5 Cuft. Frequency___?
+ another 1 (or 2) Dynaudio E1200 IB in trunk 20-65Hz

(or may be thin 10" subs under both seats? Passenger seat has 4.5-5" depth clearance while driver's has 6.5".)

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
i myself like the way option 2 sounds. with the hlcd you won't need a mid, all you really need is a GREAT midbass and some good subs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Curious on why in option 2 you would still want the 10" sub under the seat? Seems like it's unnecessary added cost and work. Why not just go:
  • Mini horns
  • 6ND430
  • Pair of subs IB in trunk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had 6ND430 in the door previous built. I think they are light weight in 70-100Hz region. If I cut the sub at 100Hz, it pulls the bass to rear.

Curious on why in option 2 you would still want the 10" sub under the seat? Seems like it's unnecessary added cost and work. Why not just go:
  • Mini horns
  • 6ND430
  • Pair of subs IB in trunk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I had 6ND430 in the door previous built. I think they are light weight in 70-100Hz region. If I cut the sub at 100Hz, it pulls the bass to rear.
With a proper tune of your DSP, that shouldn’t happen. You should be good to about 150 Hz with time alignment though I’m not suggesting you play your subs that high.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love 2 of 15" but 15" won't fit.
The issue you’re going to have with a single sub, especially IB is that it won’t be able to keep up with your high-sensitivity horns. I’d recommend a pair of AE SBP15s, which are about the best IB subs on the market. You probably only need about 250-300 watts for each sub (500-600 total).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want chest pounding midbass. Is it possible with 6ND430s?
With a proper tune of your DSP, that shouldn’t happen. You should be good to about 150 Hz with time alignment though I’m not suggesting you play your subs that high.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The key to good impact from the system is the subwoofer and integrating it with the midbass. A 6.5 will give you good impact but an 8" will always be better. So to sum up a good subwoofer that will play well to above the required crossover in the propoer enclosure tuned correctly to blend with the midbass will yield the results you are after

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Eric,
With 6ND430, do you suggest just only 1 or 2 subwoofers IB or I would benefit with extra sub (or midbass) under driver seat?
The key to good impact from the system is the subwoofer and integrating it with the midbass. A 6.5 will give you good impact but an 8" will always be better. So to sum up a good subwoofer that will play well to above the required crossover in the propoer enclosure tuned correctly to blend with the midbass will yield the results you are after

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi Eric,
With 6ND430, do you suggest just only 1 or 2 subwoofers IB or I would benefit with extra sub (or midbass) under driver seat?
Its more about the subwoofer system and being able to play well up to a 80 or 90 Hz so it can properly blend with the 6ND430. With IB subwoofers the more cone area you can fit in the car the better they work due to transfer function. So go as big as you can possibly fit and look for lower Qts (less than .35) with an Fs ~ 30 hz , the Dynaudio is a great hifi style driver but doesnt have the excursion needed to work for what you are doing with a single, you would want at least 2 and preferably 3 for good results. Subwoofers under the seat arent going to work as well as having them at the rear of the car, its like having a subwoofer in the middle of your living room, it sounds better and is much louder when you move it to the corner of the room

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Larger drivers have more impact so a 10” midbass will be better than an 8” or 6”. The problem with a car is the midbass has less to do with the speakers and more about the room. Due to the width of a car, the midbass speakers will usually have a null near 70-100 Hz and there isn’t really anything you can do because that is the midbass waves interacting with the room/car. So while an 8” may give you a little more impact and midbass, the reality is, due to the constraints of a car, you’ll likely need to rely on your subs for more midbass and hey, many subs can provide really nice midbass with that thump in your chest.

If you like the 6ND430, I’d recommend going with the horns and maybe some AE SBP12s IB. Out of those, if anything is going to be a weak link, it is the 6ND430 so you could always change them later if you wanted. But my guess is that once you get the SYSTEM together, they will all work together and sound great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts