1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Not sure, but here is another 5ch: DAKmart However if that is 4x50rms, many of them are 4x75. Mine is 4x70 at 4 ohms and for my use it is marginal power-wise, it could use a little more.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
OP-
Oversized, underpowered and Korean. If that works for you, go for it.
A decade ago, "Handcrafted in the USA" meant they were at least making an effort to lie to you.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
A friend of mine mentioned that the hybrid tube amps that PA made a few years back were nice amps, was not sure about these newer ones......
Oh my! Corvette and Chevette differ by only a coupla letters. :p
And that is an allegorical insult to the HVT series amps.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
The Big Bang amp series is rated correctly and there have been some decent deals seen lately on these amps (previous gen models) on ebay. Some are refurbs though but might still be worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wondering, I found a few refurb Planet Audio 5 channel amps for cheap on Ebay ( PLANET AUDIO 5 CHANNEL 700 WATT MOSFET AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 200314639971 end time Mar-28-09 11:51:27 PDT) and NEW Planet Audio RX5600 5 channel amplifier - eBay (item 260374705983 end time Mar-16-09 08:33:56 PDT)

and was wondering if these are poorly made amps? Has anyone here used either of these models? Thanks.
Please, please, please save your money! I have had nothing but trouble with any Planet Audio amp that has been refurbished by Kenon Electronics. I bought mine from The Deep Discount on eBay, and though they have a decent warranty, that does you no good if they amp is always out being repaired. I have had to send mine back 3 times! I got it back yesterday, had my installer put it in and it got hot enough to burn you after just playing it on door speakers for 10-15 minutes with the gain about a quarter of the way up on a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I currently own 3 PA amps. One of them is hooked up in my Tahoe right now and I can honestly say, I can't get rid of it. Very powerful amp. I own the old school ones, better ones IMO, so I'd say go for it. And if not, put the sucker on ebay and get another amp.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Old school PA were zed made and very good performers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I picked up a P475 recentl and couldn't be happier with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
5 channel amps suck. They always have way too low power rating for the 4 channels. I did have the Elemental Designs nine.5 and I must say that was a pretty kickass amp! Pretty decent power ratings. Wasn't very happy when I bought it and then shortly after that they discontinued it and slashed the price in half though.

Just get a 4 channel. I suggest the Planet Audio BB175.4 amp. I got mine on ebay probably a year ago or so. It's great. Lots of power, looks good, solidly built and very small for how much power it's got.

I love it. Oh yeah, it's cheap too! I don't remember what I paid for mine but I think it was like $125-$150 or something.

WRMS @ 2 ohms 4x195
WRMS @ 4 ohms 4x140
WRMS Bridge 4 ohms 2x345
Signal to noise ratio 102db

Here's a link to the PDF manual for the amp.

http://www.planetaudiousa.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=127

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a Nine.5 also, never ran it though. They didn't half the price though, but did drop it a fair bit. Pretty broad statement about 5 channel amps, I am running a Cadence Z6000 six channel amp now and am very happy with the power output of it. I am not in the market for an amp either, just curious about the Planet Audio lineup.....

5 channel amps suck. They always have way too low power rating for the 4 channels. I did have the Elemental Designs nine.5 and I must say that was a pretty kickass amp! Pretty decent power ratings. Wasn't very happy when I bought it and then shortly after that they discontinued it and slashed the price in half though.

Just get a 4 channel. I suggest the Planet Audio BB175.4 amp. I got mine on ebay probably a year ago or so. It's great. Lots of power, looks good, solidly built and very small for how much power it's got.

I love it. Oh yeah, it's cheap too! I don't remember what I paid for mine but I think it was like $125-$150 or something.

WRMS @ 2 ohms 4x195
WRMS @ 4 ohms 4x140
WRMS Bridge 4 ohms 2x345

http://www.planetaudiousa.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=127

·
Registered
3 Posts

WRMS @ 2 ohms 4x195
WRMS @ 4 ohms 4x140
WRMS Bridge 4 ohms 2x345

Did you get your BB175.4 new or was it a refurb? I'm having a hard time finding one new, and most refurbs were done by Kenon Electronics whose work I refuse to deal with again. I need to find one done by Planet Audio.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I had a Nine.5 also, never ran it though. They didn't half the price though, but did drop it a fair bit. Pretty broad statement about 5 channel amps, I am running a Cadence Z6000 six channel amp now and am very happy with the power output of it. I am not in the market for an amp either, just curious about the Planet Audio lineup.....
You're right, some 5 channels are good but all the good ones I've seen were expensive.

The nine.5 was not cut in half. I was mistaken, it's been a while. It was originally either $500 or $550 and it went down to $350. Still quite a significant drop not long after I bought mine. Which I had to send back due to horrible distortion on one of the channels that probably nearly destroyed my speaker when I hooked it up. Really nice specs on that nine.5 though!

Item to be discontinued. Sale price of $350.00 good until they're gone. 1 year warranty.
Model Name : NINe.5 Amplifier
Large 5 Channel Car Audio Amplifier
RMS Power @ 12.5v : Front Channels
4 x 100 @ 4Ohm @ 0.05%THD
4 x 55 @ 8Ohm @ 0.05%THD
4 x 175 @ 2Ohm @ 0.05%THD
2 x 350 @ 4Ohm @ 0.05%THD

RMS Power (Subwoofer Channel) @ 12.5v :
1 x 250w @ 4Ohm @ 0.09%THD
1 x 450w @ 2Ohm @ 0.09%THD
1 x 600w @ 1Ohm @ 0.09%THD

I don't know if my amp was refurbished or not. I think it was though. I don't care though because it works great and never gets hot, only warm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know if my amp was refurbished or not. I think it was though. I don't care though because it works great and never gets hot, only warm.
Thanks. I guess it wasn't a refurb since most of them have a sticker on the bottom of the amp that says who it was refurbished by. How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Looked up the exact price. $129.50 USD Came to $142.50 shipped.

From AVoutlets.com on ebay. I can't find them on ebay anymore.

Went out and looked at the amp. It's refurbished. Doesn't say where just says by planet audio.

·
Registered
30 Posts
5 ch amps are ideally running the whole system. There's a few powerful ones out there but don't expect to pay a few hundred bucks for them. Just seen a Soundstream 705s sell for 380 on ebay just a few days ago. Check out the Memphis Belle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts